Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 04:55 PM

10 posts, read 9,472 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a foreigner looking to do Masters in FMT. If anyone is currently enrolled, could you pls shed some light on best place to get it here in Twin Cities? Job options and anyone having their own private practice?

Any info from ex students or current would be helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 06:51 PM

327 posts, read 529,680 times
I can share some info on that. Tried to send you a PM, but it seems your profile isn't set up to receive them.

I graduated several years ago from the Adler Graduate School and have friends/colleagues who attended various others: St Mary's, Argosy, St Thomas, Bethel...

"Best place" will depend somewhat on your criteria. Job market likewise depends. Private practice is probably the most challenging route, but it can be done.

Happy to answer any specific questions in more detail.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:43 PM

18 posts, read 15,930 times
Why is private practice so challenging? I have a private practice here in Houston, Texas and I have been thinking about relocating possibly.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:43 PM

71 posts, read 193,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza18 View Post
Why is private practice so challenging? I have a private practice here in Houston, Texas and I have been thinking about relocating possibly.
Good question, I would like a follow up answer as well.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 AM

327 posts, read 529,680 times
(Sorry for the delay in responding; I didn't have notifications on for this post and only visited because someone gave me a reputation point.)

Market is fairly saturated. (Much more so than many other communities. I know one person who built a practice faster than average by locating way out in the outer edge of the metro area, and doing a lot of real networking (not just passively hanging out a shingle). Someone on this site - County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - you can drill down to therapist density in a community, if you want to make some comparisons.

Insurance pressures are causing many in PP to seek group practices, i.e., independent contractor positions, where their cut is typically about 40-60%.

There are several schools in the metro area turning out psych. grads in numbers probably too larger to be adequately supported by the population. Prospective students don't check into employment options after graduation and most schools offer very little in the way of placement assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul