Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM

38 posts, read 41,759 times

Advertisements

Moved from Sydney a year ago. My wife was offered a position at UofM and it was a good opportunity for her. My company had a small office here they were looking to grow and offered me the chance so I took it. Been here a year, just purchased a house. Hope to stick around for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 PM

131 posts, read 321,680 times
Moved to the area for an excellent job with a large Fortune 100 company after living in two smaller mid-sized Midwestern metropolitan areas. I am originally from the Boston area, and our plan is to return to the northeast within the next few years. The Minneapolis area does have many positive attributes as well as a very reasonable cost of living. If the winters were less harsh, I truly believe this metro area would be experiencing rapid growth near sunbelt levels. That being said, we are not sure if this area will ever feel like "home" due to the general aloofness of the local populace.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:23 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,120,947 times
I'm quite literally from all over.
I moved to Minnesota because it's where God led me to move. In hindsight, I see why and know I heard Him correctly, even though I'm very much a country kid and NOT a city person.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Twin Cities. If God allowed me to, I'd move out of state. But, if I have to live in a big city, Minneapolis (for all of it's faults) could be much worse. For me, the positives are Top-of-the-Line positives and the negatives are the Bottom-of-the-Barrel negatives.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:43 PM

200 posts, read 175,802 times
It was an easy choice: graduated from college in Hellhole, Florida. Got a job there, but it didn't pay well, the stress was tremendous, I was treated like crap by patients and doctors, and had lousy benefits. I thought Minnesota was too good to be true (unions, a living wage, AND a 401B matching contribution from employers!!!! WOW!!!! This kind of stuff does not exist in the south!!!) but I decided to check it out. It turns out it wasn't too good to be true. I also lived in New York on and off over the years, and MN is so much cleaner, safer, has less traffic than NY and FL and the people are much better: I really can't imagine dealing with the fake, snobby, money-obsessed, workaholic, downstate New York types anymore (upstate maybe...)

Yeah, winter is brutal, summer is too hot and humid for me, but overall I'm pretty happy here. The fall is so beautiful and winter isn't too snowy. I'm still looking for greener grass since I don't think I can afford to buy a house here without working a second job, which I'm not willing to do. We shall see....

Old 07-19-2017, 02:51 PM

22 posts, read 22,198 times
I'd rather deal with the "fake, snobby, money-obsessed, workaholic " New Yorkers than the Minneapolis people who never invite you to any events, aren't social to new people, openly say "I don't need any new friends" and think MN is the best place in the world due to bike paths and other top ten lists that don't matter...

Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,924,146 times
Moved from Philly. Company got bought out by current so it was either come work for current company or get a severance package. they paid for my relocation. Let's just say that everyone regretted not taking the job offer. Trying to move back east now because I want to be near family. Minnesota has definitely spoiled me. Now any city I move to has to be clean, things to do for kids and excellent parks, and affordable. Also sporting events, musuems and the arts. I think sometimes we take clean cities for granted. Nothing like being able to come home and actually drink water out the sink.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:42 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaDrake View Post
I'd rather deal with the "fake, snobby, money-obsessed, workaholic " New Yorkers than the Minneapolis people who never invite you to any events, aren't social to new people, openly say "I don't need any new friends" and think MN is the best place in the world due to bike paths and other top ten lists that don't matter...
I will post this again:
FACT: I have PM'd most people on this forum that claim that they are having a tough time making friends. In the PM, I offer to hit the bike trails with them to see the sights and talk about different groups or organizations in the City. Mind you, the bike paths in Minneapolis are generally full of people, so I don't feel that what I am offering is creepy. Not one person, has taken me up on my offer. This demonstrates to me that many people that claim "they have a hard time making friends" have a hard time making friends for a reason- and it's not the locals.
Either put your money where your mouth is and go out and meet someone or find a group of people, organization, church group etc. that fits your interest or quit complaining! There are 3.5 million people in this metro area (that's like North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska combined!) and I have a real hard time believing that it is too difficult to meet someone, anyone. I am a transplant here and have many friends both from work and outside of work. If all else fails, there is a plethora of sites out there for people to meet other people, not just for dating.
If you want to hop on a bike this weekend Drake, let me know!

Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 PM

79 posts, read 86,280 times
Quote:
I don't know if Minneapolis is the best place in the world but it is pretty good. The economy feels good. Salaries are comparable to the coasts. Housing costs less than either coast. I know that some foodies will disagree with me, but we have a myriad of options when it comes to restaurants and cuisines in MSP. We get all of the seasons here; if you enjoy driving or fancy a sports vehicle for the summer, we usually (not this summer) have open roads where you're not sitting in 3+ hours of traffic for a simple 4-mile commute.

I will agree with you that some people won't go out of their way to invite you to events, and some folks primarily enjoy hanging out in their own social circles. Minnesotans just seem slower when it comes to introducing and interacting with new faces compared to the people in NYC. The best advice I can give is: keep inviting people out. They will (slowly) start to invite you to join them in their adventures too.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 PM

70 posts, read 101,729 times
Quote:
And yet you put the word "Minnesota" in your name. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:41 AM

587 posts, read 566,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I will post this again:
FACT: I have PM'd most people on this forum that claim that they are having a tough time making friends. In the PM, I offer to hit the bike trails with them to see the sights and talk about different groups or organizations in the City. Mind you, the bike paths in Minneapolis are generally full of people, so I don't feel that what I am offering is creepy. Not one person, has taken me up on my offer. This demonstrates to me that many people that claim "they have a hard time making friends" have a hard time making friends for a reason- and it's not the locals.
Either put your money where your mouth is and go out and meet someone or find a group of people, organization, church group etc. that fits your interest or quit complaining! There are 3.5 million people in this metro area (that's like North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska combined!) and I have a real hard time believing that it is too difficult to meet someone, anyone. I am a transplant here and have many friends both from work and outside of work. If all else fails, there is a plethora of sites out there for people to meet other people, not just for dating.
If you want to hop on a bike this weekend Drake, let me know!
It's awesome that you offer up support. However; I can think of a couple reasons why no one takes you up on the offer...1) people don't want to give up their anonymity in this forum and 2) they don't cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: