Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:52 AM

370 posts, read 904,907 times

Advertisements

Moved from south Florida (wife was from there, I was not) because we were looking for a different lifestyle. We thought that people of our cultural demographic would be enough. People from other demographics do the same thing, so why not us? Decided that lifestyle was nothing without a social network (8.5 year effort), so we moved back to central Florida and now have both a lifestyle and an extended social network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,838,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Minneapolis is one of the best cities in the US. The cold weather is the only reason it doesn't have a larger population growth from transplants.
The reason that Minneapolis doesn't have a larger population is that it is a small city as far as land area goes.

Minneapolis is the 46th-most populous city in the United States. Of the 45 larger cities, only four - Miami, Long Beach, Boston, San Francisco - have smaller land footprints. Of cities ranking #47 thru #100, only 8 occupy a smaller area than Minneapolis.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:43 PM

43 posts, read 40,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I will post this again:
FACT: I have PM'd most people on this forum that claim that they are having a tough time making friends. In the PM, I offer to hit the bike trails with them to see the sights and talk about different groups or organizations in the City. Mind you, the bike paths in Minneapolis are generally full of people, so I don't feel that what I am offering is creepy. Not one person, has taken me up on my offer. This demonstrates to me that many people that claim "they have a hard time making friends" have a hard time making friends for a reason- and it's not the locals.
Either put your money where your mouth is and go out and meet someone or find a group of people, organization, church group etc. that fits your interest or quit complaining! There are 3.5 million people in this metro area (that's like North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska combined!) and I have a real hard time believing that it is too difficult to meet someone, anyone. I am a transplant here and have many friends both from work and outside of work. If all else fails, there is a plethora of sites out there for people to meet other people, not just for dating.
If you want to hop on a bike this weekend Drake, let me know!
I'm moving up next month and I'd love to hit the trails! I'm delighted about my move to Minneapolis! I encountered the most wonderful people during my visit. I thought southern hospitality was great, but the Minnesotans may have topped us!!!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 PM

43 posts, read 40,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Moved from south Florida (wife was from there, I was not) because we were looking for a different lifestyle. We thought that people of our cultural demographic would be enough. People from other demographics do the same thing, so why not us? Decided that lifestyle was nothing without a social network (8.5 year effort), so we moved back to central Florida and now have both a lifestyle and an extended social network.
I cannot imagine that you could not build a social network in 8.5 years. If, in fact, you truly put yourself out and just could not make it happen, then I'm sorry and I am concerned for my upcoming move. But, I'll tell you that I'm a native Floridian and it has been a challenge to build a significant social network anywhere in the state since I moved away from my hometown! I think most cities are the same, the locals are long settled and established, so you have to approach the other transplants and hope to involve some locals along the path. I visited a church last Sunday during my visit (Westminster Presbyterian) and I've never had more people speak to me when I was a visitor at a church.

I'm glad you and your family have found your spot!

Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,129 times
Default Don't do it

We moved to MN from AZ 3 years ago for my husband's job. I was excited about a new adventure and was very hopeful, I heard good things about schools and parks and rec. Do not be fooled! While the schools are good, this place is cold to the core. I have heard people say that MN is the hardest place to get people to move to and also the hardest place to get people to move away from. "Minnesota Nice". My take on that is no one moves away from their families and no one really wants to move here. We were excited to explore winter activities....however, winter has been LONG, COLD and BORING!! We had a late sleety snow on May 1 this year and not significant snow to do any winter activities...the kids didn't make a snow man, ice skate, or sled this year and my SAD was in full effect, getting worse every year. We have made a few friends here that are also from out of state, but be warned that people that grew up here are not open and inviting. Loneliest place I have ever experienced and I am doing everything I can to get out.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,664,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateMN View Post
We moved to MN from AZ 3 years ago for my husband's job. I was excited about a new adventure and was very hopeful, I heard good things about schools and parks and rec. Do not be fooled! While the schools are good, this place is cold to the core. I have heard people say that MN is the hardest place to get people to move to and also the hardest place to get people to move away from. "Minnesota Nice". My take on that is no one moves away from their families and no one really wants to move here. We were excited to explore winter activities....however, winter has been LONG, COLD and BORING!! We had a late sleety snow on May 1 this year and not significant snow to do any winter activities...the kids didn't make a snow man, ice skate, or sled this year and my SAD was in full effect, getting worse every year. We have made a few friends here that are also from out of state, but be warned that people that grew up here are not open and inviting. Loneliest place I have ever experienced and I am doing everything I can to get out.
What? I did all of those things this last winter.
It was also so nice out between snows that I biked in December, February and all through March.
It really depends on where you live as well. If you live in the outer burbs, anyone would be isolated and bored to tears.
Also, your user name suggest that you already have your mind made up about the place and are not willing to invest in becoming part of the community. If my name was IhateAZ, I'm sure I would not be able to appreciate the place.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
It's awesome that you offer up support. However; I can think of a couple reasons why no one takes you up on the offer...1) people don't want to give up their anonymity in this forum and 2) they don't cycle.
That's like moving to Aspen and not skiing or Honolulu and not surfing.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_4_Seasons View Post
I'm moving up next month and I'd love to hit the trails! I'm delighted about my move to Minneapolis! I encountered the most wonderful people during my visit. I thought southern hospitality was great, but the Minnesotans may have topped us!!!
Well, let me know if you want me to show you around the trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: