Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,752 times

Advertisements

I love living in the Loring Park neighborhood, I consider it the mid-town area, you've got downtown blocks away, and uptown a few more blocks in the other direction. The biggest hassle is parking.. unless you can afford off street parking, which usually runs about 50 bucks a month. I live on Spruce Place between Oak Grove and 15th, it's a small studio, but only costs 450/month, with electricity extra, usually about 25/month. Crime is low, but access is high to things like Movies in the Park during the summer, the Walker art museum, Minneapolis Institute of Art, and a plethora of things to do and see downtown. The general rule for Mpls. neighborhoods is that the better ones are on the east/west ends. Kenwood being the most expensive/probably safest, and then as you go east things decline, w/ Phillips being the worst, at least in South Mpls. After Phillips, things pick up again. Hope this helped anyone thinking of moving here.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
/\Good descriptions.
The Gold Coast runs from downtown towards Loring Park, Uptown, Kenwood and Southwest.
The middle-class areas run out Nicollet and to the Northeast of Downtown.
Northwest of downtown is generally bad.
Directly southeast from downtown is bad until after you get south of Lake, generally.
The city planners actually planned it that way. Except the bad areas were lower and working class (Phillips) and the Northside is (was) Black (Jewish).

Old 11-06-2007, 11:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
I would say down to 38th from 35W to Hiawatha.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 AM

279 posts, read 760,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Stay away from Northeast? You may be the one smoking something, unless your sense of direction is off.
yeah there's not much wrong with the northeast. the bad areas are west of the river around 22nd and girard. what is known as the jordan neighborhood - the area to avoid is pretty much west of I-94, north of broadway, and east of penn ave. i don't like anything north of there either, all the way up to brooklyn center. east of the river i don't know of any problem areas.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
yeah there's not much wrong with the northeast. the bad areas are west of the river around 22nd and girard. what is known as the jordan neighborhood - the area to avoid is pretty much west of I-94, north of broadway, and east of penn ave. i don't like anything north of there either, all the way up to brooklyn center. east of the river i don't know of any problem areas.

Avoid anything west of I-94 all the way to Brooklyn Center? A broad statement. Have you lived in any of these areas?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 PM

120 posts, read 470,606 times
Default Not much wrong with Northeast Mpls....?

How about Jackson st/22nd av?.. I love the arcitecture of N Mpls. It far and away beats NE Mpls. ..It gets a bad rap as an area to live in... I'm looking there but will stay W. of Penn ave...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM

22nd and Jackson is a nice area. Very stable and middle-class. Near Central, so has a dependable bus which gets you downtown. Go have the buffet at Holy Land on Central.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
You forgot to mention St Paul:

I'd avoid anywhere a few blocks north/south along University Ave east of Snelling, and especially east of Lexington, all the way past the capitol. Also avoid the neighbourhoods north of University along Rice and Dale Streets until you get to about Hwy 36. The areas south of 36 and east of I-35E are also somewhat suspect.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelivinloringpark View Post
I love living in the Loring Park neighborhood, I consider it the mid-town area, you've got downtown blocks away, and uptown a few more blocks in the other direction. The biggest hassle is parking.. unless you can afford off street parking, which usually runs about 50 bucks a month. I live on Spruce Place between Oak Grove and 15th, it's a small studio, but only costs 450/month, with electricity extra, usually about 25/month. Crime is low, but access is high to things like Movies in the Park during the summer, the Walker art museum, Minneapolis Institute of Art, and a plethora of things to do and see downtown. The general rule for Mpls. neighborhoods is that the better ones are on the east/west ends. Kenwood being the most expensive/probably safest, and then as you go east things decline, w/ Phillips being the worst, at least in South Mpls. After Phillips, things pick up again. Hope this helped anyone thinking of moving here.
Yeah, great. The Walker, MIA, Movies, downtown, uptown, etc. But how often do you actually do those things? I've been to the Walker twice since it re-opened. Yes, it is very cool, no doubt. MIA is good too. But I don't need to live near it to enjoy it. I can drive there from a nicer neighborhood and experience those things just as easily as someone who lives three blocks away.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Lring Park is a wonderful area. The neighobrhood is walkable to a plethora of restaurants and shops. You can walk down Hennepin and see a show in the growing theater district. You have ample transportation. The people who live in LP don't do so simply for The Walker, although the Sculpture Garden is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul