Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 15,629 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Minneapolis-St.Paul area by the end of this month for full-time school and I don't have a job/internship as yet in Minnesota so my parents are fully supporting me. I'm looking for a single-family house or perhaps a 1 BHK apartment anywhere within the city. So far I have spoken to multiple landlords and apartment communities and each of them requires me to have a monthly income which is atleast three times the monthly rent to apply or have a co-signer who must be a resident of Minnesota with other insane income requirements.

I don't want to live in the shared student housing at the moment, so could you guys suggest me some place without these requirements ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Those are pretty typical requirements -- evicting a tenant costs a fortune, and landlords want to make sure that you have the means to cover the rent. Have you tried landlords that focus on a student demographic? I'm assuming that they will be more willing to take out-of-state cosigners. There are a ton of luxury apartments around the U of MN these days, and I doubt that most of the residents themselves make the money to qualify (or have parents in MN to sign. Not that you necessarily want one of those units, but the companies who lease those units might have other appropriate units. Or try for a direct-from-landlord unit and offer to put up first AND last month rent plus security; we had to do that when I was in grad school and my husband didn't yet have a job, and my stipend wasn't enough to qualify on its own.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 AM

14 posts, read 21,697 times
Offer 6 months rent upfront.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 15,629 times
I'm looking for landlords who are willing to rent their property to students, but are there any apartment communities nearby campus that allows students as well ?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
Yeh, the real estate bubble totally messed up markets. On CNBC, I see them celebrating markets, but the celebrants probably earn millions a year. For the average worker, things aren't so nice. Maybe find a roommate and your combined incomes pass?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 AM

90 posts, read 226,241 times
Not to be a smart azz..... but if your parents are fully supporting you, just have them co-sign or rent one for you. Pay your parents when you get working instead of the apartment complex. Just a suggestion.

You can try Mint Properties. We moved here without employment they only required that we have 6 months rent in the bank.

Good luck with your move, hope you like it here

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
Not to be a smart azz..... but if your parents are fully supporting you, just have them co-sign or rent one for you. Pay your parents when you get working instead of the apartment complex. Just a suggestion.

You can try Mint Properties. We moved here without employment they only required that we have 6 months rent in the bank.

Good luck with your move, hope you like it here
Six months rent is a lot of money to have in the bank. I wouldn't be able to qualify with that requirement.

I got a nice apartment near the U from the company I still rent from. They required a co-signer, but I have always been a state resident. I'm sure most small rental companies wouldn't be afraid to have an out-of-state cosigner. An agreement is an agreement, right? Do state lines actually change that?

Old 07-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,329,449 times
Sorry about that. There you go. I removed my post.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 07-28-2020 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-28-2020, 11:30 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Would it be possible for your parents to buy something as an investment and have you pay them rent. If its large enough you could have roommates pay the rent and live there for free. With you on site the student mayhem should be minimal. There shouldnt be a problem though if you pick compatible roommates.

Get something that needs a little work. Fix it up. Build equity. Get tax breaks. After you graduate your parents can sell it. I wouldnt rent to students but they could if they wanted.
This post is seven years old so I suspect they figured something out.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:42 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This post is seven years old so I suspect they figured something out.
I have it on good authority that dreamitunlimited finished university, and has been buying distressed properties in Cedar-Riverside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul