Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:15 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times

Advertisements

So here’s a question to all those howling about cops not being from neighborhoods they police - what do you think will happen to a cop who polices and lives somewhere in North Minneapolis for example, where cops aren’t exactly well-liked? What’s going to happen to his car, his house, his family and ultimately himself while he’s off-duty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
The bolded part is clearly the most important aspect of that incident.

Clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
So here’s a question to all those howling about cops not being from neighborhoods they police - what do you think will happen to a cop who polices and lives somewhere in North Minneapolis for example, where cops aren’t exactly well-liked? What’s going to happen to his car, his house, his family and ultimately himself while he’s off-duty?
Well if he was Black he'd be ok is what she is saying.... Wait a minute isn't that kind of racist?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:43 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Every cop knows this, and is exactly why they live many cities away.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:55 AM

542 posts, read 447,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I read where the arresting officer was Negro/black/African-American/Black. Potter was backup.

The police chief, who also resigned, stated that they have the taser on the hip of their weak-hand side (left for right handers) and pistol on the hip of their strong-hand side. It seems like she would have trained so that grabbing the taser was an automatic action without having to think. Massive FAIL.

This should be a fairly open-and-shut trial. How could a defense attorney explain away her on-video comment of "Oh, sh*t! I shot him!"? I hope that she pleads guilty to second-degree. The police need to learn to keep cool heads.

But, I don't see this as being a racially motivated incident. Ol' Walz done stuck his foot in mouth once again. Kid had an arrest warrant out for him and he was out of the car doing okay from the video. Not sure why he chose to run. That is what Walz should be proclaiming: Obey and don't try to run away.
As far as racism goes, we will probably never know her true thoughts and feeling on the subject unless she posted at city data or social media- there are always some not to bright folks expressing racial animus making them vulnerable to civil and criminal prosecution if involved in an incident. The question that can not be answered, but is very important, is the what if question. What if this was a white person? Would she have responded in a similar and deadly fashion or would another outcome occurred.

Here is an incident from yesterday in Hutchinson, MN.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/...EEXT5RDI66Z7Q/

An Anti-masker become upset when asked to put on a mask at a Menards and attacked the employee with lumber. The police were called and the suspect lead them on a chase. He was then approached by an officer and proceeded to trap the officer's arm in the window and then took off at speeds reaching 40mph and the officer used a hammer to break the window. The suspect then took possession of the hammer and beat the officer. He was arrested.

The officer could have justifiably killed the anti-masker. But instead, went to extraordinary lengths to avoid fatally ending the suspect. Would he have given the same consideration by the officer if he were black? There is a growing body of research casting doubt on the equitable treatment of suspects and use of force in regards to race.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/687518

I will post more on this subject soon but I have a lot of work to do.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:05 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
As far as racism goes, we will probably never know her true thoughts and feeling on the subject unless she posted at city data or social media- there are always some not to bright folks expressing racial animus making them vulnerable to civil and criminal prosecution if involved in an incident. The question that can not be answered, but is very important, is the what if question. What if this was a white person? Would she have responded in a similar and deadly fashion or would another outcome occurred.

An Anti-masker become upset when asked to put on a mask at a Menards and attacked the employee with lumber. The police were called and the suspect lead them on a chase. He was then approached by an officer and proceeded to trap the officer's arm in the window and then took off at speeds reaching 40mph and the officer used a hammer to break the window. The suspect then took possession of the hammer and beat the officer. He was arrested.

The officer could have justifiably killed the anti-masker. But instead, went to extraordinary lengths to avoid fatally ending the suspect. Would he have given the same consideration by the officer if he were black? There is a growing body of research casting doubt on the equitable treatment of suspects and use of force in regards to race.

It seems somewhat silly to cherry pick 2 isolated police incidents and try and draw any race conclusions from them. I care much more about what a large sample of data would suggest, controlling for a lot of the factors that often get twisted, such as how often different races commit certain crimes.

I have a very hard time believing this officer was trying to commit a racial crime.

If I was racist, I sure as hell wouldn't build up a 26 year career working in a community with said race, so that I could commit a crime in front of cameras in a racially charged metro.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It seems somewhat silly to cherry pick 2 isolated police incidents and try and draw any race conclusions from them. I care much more about what a large sample of data would suggest, controlling for a lot of the factors that often get twisted, such as how often different races commit certain crimes.

I have a very hard time believing this officer was trying to commit a racial crime.

If I was racist, I sure as hell wouldn't build up a 26 year career working in a community with said race, so that I could commit a crime in front of cameras in a racially charged metro.
You didn't read my post very well if that is your take-away- that is even more silly. The example illustrated two different outcomes that took very different approaches with the use of force and a questions whether the outcome would be different if the race was switched. i have made no assertions that the officer is a racist or this particular instance is an example of racism. There is some research indicating racial disparities with the use of force. Keep building up those strawmen because they are sure easy to knock down.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:26 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
You didn't read my post very well if that is your take-away- that is even more silly. The example illustrated two different outcomes that took very different approaches with the use of force and a questions whether the outcome would be different if the race was switched. i have made no assertions that the officer is a racist or this particular instance is an example of racism. There is some research indicating racial disparities with the use of force. Keep building up those strawmen because they are sure easy to knock down.
Well, you were insinuating that race was a factor in outcome based off a one off story in hutchinson. That's a serious insinuation to make, because it makes you complicit with the race baiting crowd that is drumming up so much division where there isn't any. And now your trying to come off as innocent like you weren't making such claims..... A one off in hutchinson doesn't tell us anything about race being a factor in people outcomes. Literally nothing. It's just drumming up more hate, the last thing the world needs right now

Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Well, you were insinuating that race was a factor in outcome based off a one off story in hutchinson. That's a serious insinuation to make, because it makes you complicit with the race baiting crowd that is drumming up so much division where there isn't any. And now your trying to come off as innocent like you weren't making such claims..... A one off in hutchinson doesn't tell us anything about race being a factor in people outcomes. Literally nothing. It's just drumming up more hate, the last thing the world needs right now
I am pretty careful with my wording and I am a data driven person. I am neither guilty or innocent of any made up fiction in your head. You are mistaking a question for a conclusion. I was very clear in my post that I did not know the police woman's intent or that she was racist. You lied in an attempt to fabricate an argument. I am not complicit with anything. I don't think I am the one doing the drumming in this argument.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:03 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
Sounds to me like the cop didn’t shoot that low-life because getting crushed to death by an out of control truck with dead driver at the wheel is a lot worse of an option than getting dragged while trying to gain control of the driver. But rest assured, no one would have said a word against that cop if he did shoot. Unless the driver was black, of course, in that case we’d be seeing a lot of the usual fiery but peaceful protests.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2021, 08:40 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
And now Maxine Waters, the idjit rep from California, goes to Brooklyn Center and tells the crowd to ignore the curfew and get more confrontational.

Will she be arrested for crossing state lines to incite a riot? Or do only white people get arrested? Ball back in your court TGV.

https://alphanewsmn.com/maxine-water...nfrontational/

Maxine needs to pay attention to the problems of California, which are numerous, and leave Minnesota and Minnesotans alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul