Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Moving, have you had good experience with Robert Half? I always tell them "not interested" because Ive heard more horror stories than positive ones.
I have never taken a job through Robert Half, but I have met with their recruiters on multiple occasions. The people I met at the Minneapolis office seemed alright. The guy I met with at one of their Florida offices was kind of a douche and made me take an A+ test to prove that I really had an A+ or something. It was the first time that I have ever had to do anything like that. I think their pay might be a little on the low side.

Tek Systems has always treated me well, but I think their pay is a little lower than others too.

I liked working for Sapphire Technologies in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
yeah I made an appointment with them once but the guy wanted not only this essay about what I can bring to an employee/assignment, but references of at least 5 people in the tech field (to recruit them?) and all of my paperwork on file and signed/dated within 24 hours of contacting them. I told them to forget it.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:18 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
yeah I made an appointment with them once but the guy wanted not only this essay about what I can bring to an employee/assignment, but references of at least 5 people in the tech field (to recruit them?) and all of my paperwork on file and signed/dated within 24 hours of contacting them. I told them to forget it.
I would have told them the same.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for warmth View Post
Hi Minnesota...
I have a question about the jobs out there, and I'm wondering if any of you are experiencing the same thing?
My husband and I have been looking for new jobs for months and months...
I'm a graphic designer of 6 years and his in construction sales and has worked for a company for over 20 years, he is very dedicated and such a hard worker, he is very smart and willing to work in any other sales job (with-in limits..........No Avon, cell phones, life insurance, and something that pays $8 an hour etc.) haha

The reason why I'm looking is because I'm PT and need something full time, he's looking because of this wonderful economy is driving the company he's working for to shut the doors soon.... (it hasn't happend yet but its only a matter of time )

We find great opportunity's and apply and nothing..... we call, write update letters, etc. and NOTHING.
I even have a service working to find me something and NOTHING.

I'm so sick of it and its so depressing? Anyone going threw the same thing? If not tell me what were doing wrong? How can we land great jobs and make it through this...
I work in the non-profit sector and I can say that your graphic design skills would be highly valued by most non-profits, I'm not sure how much pay or level of responsibility you are looking for, but there would be coordinator level jobs out there that would probably be interested. Or you might be able to find some contract for work assignments. good website: MCN.

I would suggest that your husband apply for some jobs with companies like Tennant Company in Golden Valley, MN - the last I checked they were seeking experienced sales persons, and if he has mechanical skills or knowledge (they produce the floor cleaning machines) that would work in his favor. Otherwise there are lots of sales jobs out there, he's just going to have to work hard to prove to potential employers that his skills at his current company are transferrable to the work that said company is doing.

Assuming you live in the metro area, I would recommend that you check out some employment service providers to see if there might be some programs that could assist you - most have income guidelines and I am assuming that with your husband's current position it might put you over most guidelines. Most temp agencies' mission is to make as much money as possible, so be a little wary of believing that they are there to "help" you - generally this is not the case, but others are right in that there are some good opportunities to be found through staffing agencies (do a google search and a lot will come up). It's not much of a silver lining, but your husband's layoff will likely qualify him for unemployment benefits and Dislocated Worker services (employment counseling, training, etc. through employment service provider).

Other good websites to job search on:

www.minnesotaworks.net

Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed

And the obvious Jobs in Minnesota

You might also want to have someone take a close look at your resume and cover letter (most employment service providers can provide this service) and give you input/ feedback on it. There are a number of common errors/ mistakes people make that can inhibit them from getting called by employers, not to mention interview mistakes (don't have any good website addresses for this off-hand, the MN workforce center website might have some tips).

I have some experience at screening resumes/ cover letters and assisting people with them, I'd be willing to offer my two cents if you were to delete your identifying information (name/ address/ dates/ company name, etc) from your resume/ cover and paste it in a direct message to me. Good luck-

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
The Ford Plant is hiring line workers, but don't tell them I told you. Its suppose to be hush hush, they are not advertising, its word of mouth. Go to the Plant tell them at security that you are there to talk to Labor Relations about getting put on the list. Say you were referred by an employee.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM

82 posts, read 365,151 times
I moved to another state in Nov and have been looking for work since I moved. I have filled out at least 50 online applications, been to job fairs, only to be told to apply online, got 1 interview but didn't get the job, and have heard nothing about the others I applied for. I went to a temp agency finally, and had a good job offer within 2 weeks. I start my new job next week. I have come to the conclusion that with so many jobs(I have some college but no degree)online now, everything has to be perfect on paper. There are lots of jobs available, but not good jobs. It is hard. I wish you luck.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I used Office Team and had my choice of assignments after my interview. I would give them a try.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM

93 posts, read 367,425 times
I looked for a job for a whole year up to my graduation and there were no opportunities for me either. I'm sure there are many other places in the country that have jobs, Minnesota is just one of those smaller markets that gets hit harder by economic effects. I had to move out of state but I ended up getting a wonderful job in Chicago. (Contruction never stops here btw). Minneapolis area has a lot of well educated and qualified people and there aren't enough jobs and business spots to go around whentimes are tough like they are today.

You could always start your own business, now is the time to do it.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 25,523 times
I would suggest Aquent Staffing for creative work. I've worked for one Aquent's clients and they were great.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 PM

53 posts, read 174,873 times
Thank you Camden Northsider, and EVERYONE for all your help... I'm really going to look into staffing agencies...
Camden would you mind, looking over my husbands resume??? I'll IM you with all of it...
It's hard to make it sound good, when he's done this for over 20 years like I said...
But I'll send it over to you, (as long as I can figure out how..) I can't believe all responses from this... Thank you so much every one of you!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul