Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,092,366 times

Advertisements

I checked Minneapolis and you can get a 2 bedroom detached house in the low $100s. This is not true, you can get more than a shack for that price. It just wont be a big house, like 2, or less commonly 3 bedrooms and 800-1200 square feet in size. That city is sure expensive but it shouldnt be as expensive as Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 11:44 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,385,824 times
Default to Need Affordable Home

Have you looked closely at any of those homes in Minneapolis for 110k? Did you look at the neighborhood they were in? Guaranteed it wouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to find out why the house was priced for that amount.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 AM

132 posts, read 576,792 times
thanks. how much more in taxes would i pay for living in hennepin? is ramsey a lot more taxes than the more outlying metro counties as well?

Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
I believe the metro is composed of 7 counties. These are: Hennepin, Ramsey, Dakota, Scott, Anoka, Washington, and Rice. I think I got them right. These counties pay the highest taxes.

The difference is quite a bit of money. When you look at the MLS, check the county and the taxes paid by the current owner. Or for example, look up 300K existing homes in Hennepin and Sherburne counties.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:44 AM
HKB

221 posts, read 803,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I believe the metro is composed of 7 counties. These are: Hennepin, Ramsey, Dakota, Scott, Anoka, Washington, and Rice. I think I got them right.
Carver is the 7th county, not Rice.

Depending on how far you're willing to move out, you should check out the "exurb" counties of Wright (MN), Chisago (MN), Isanti (MN), and St. Croix (WI). Generally speaking, you can get more house for your money in those areas.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Have you looked closely at any of those homes in Minneapolis for 110k? Did you look at the neighborhood they were in? Guaranteed it wouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to find out why the house was priced for that amount.

They looked fine in the pictures, if not a bit small. Some may need minor TLC. I have no idea about the neighboors in Minneapolis. I only know theres dozens of houses in the low $100s, this price range is affordable for some middle class people and could be affordable for the OP's goal of spending under $200k on a house.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 803,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
They looked fine in the pictures, if not a bit small. Some may need minor TLC. I have no idea about the neighboors in Minneapolis. I only know theres dozens of houses in the low $100s, this price range is affordable for some middle class people and could be affordable for the OP's goal of spending under $200k on a house.
You can't tell what a house & neighborhood are like from pictures. I wouldn't move into most of those neighborhoods if someone gave me the house for free. You have no idea how dangerous some of these areas are. There is violent crime on almost a daily bases in those places. For someone as concerned about crime as you claim to be, you seem incredibly naive.

OP... if you're determined to find a single family home for under $200k, you should look in suburbs like South St. Paul, West St. Paul, St. Louis Park, Fridley, Coon Rapids, Cottage Grove, and Anoka. I did a quick search on www.edinarealty.com (a Twin Cities-based real estate agency) and searched all homes between $150k and $200k in those 7 cities. 113 homes showed up.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:17 AM

OP... if you're determined to find a single family home for under $200k, you should look in suburbs like South St. Paul, West St. Paul, St. Louis Park, Fridley, Coon Rapids, Cottage Grove, and Anoka. I did a quick search on www.edinarealty.com (a Twin Cities-based real estate agency) and searched all homes between $150k and $200k in those 7 cities. 113 homes showed up.
----------------------------------
Great news! Thanks for checking for me, will go there and look.
After reading these boards a few weeks (and researching elsewhere as well) I have pretty much stopped searching below 175 if it's a freestanding SFH. I thought I had mentioned St louis park earlier along with its neighbor Golden Valley and people said it would be more pricy as per the rest of the western burbs. I know that the median income of St L P is supposed to be about 60K so that sounds like a decent middle class area on average. Not to go with stereotyping or anything, but I hadn't read or heard good things about Fridley and Coon Rapids (not at all in the same category with Minneapolis north of the Olsen highway, of course).

Old 02-04-2007, 05:05 AM

[quote=HKB;277934]A single family home for less than $200k can be found in the north metro near Blaine, but it will most likely be in a less desireable neighborhood. Coon Rapids and Anoka (blue-collar suburbs immediately west of Blaine) have many cookie-cutter 1950's/60's ramblers in the $150k-$200k price range, but many of them are dumpy and need a lot of work. I grew up in this area and I have to say that the homeowners in some of these neighborhoods don't show much pride in keeping their houses in good shape.
--------------
Would you folks say this description also applies to Otsego and Champlin? (just over the river from Anoka)

Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
Otsego and Champlin have the reputation of being a bit more 'upscale'. There are also a lot of more expensive properties in those areas. A fixer in an area of more expensive homes is worth more than a fixer in an area of other fixers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul