Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,951 times

Advertisements

The trick with buying a home in the northern suburbs, at least the closer in suburbs around the I-694 area in Hennepin-Ramsey counties, is to avoid the sections of town where the low income apartment complexes are located. They used to be non-problems but in the last decade they have made some of those towns up there feel a bit sketchy and unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 AM

70 posts, read 279,798 times
You can always check the Dept of Correctons Website for the state of Minnesota to search for sex offenders and to check out the crime statistics for an area. Licensed Real Estate agents are not actually allowed to discuss these types of issues (by law) but we are allowed to tell you where to go to find the information. Here are some links you might find useful. If you don't find what you are looking for, try entering the words "crime", "statistics", "Minnesota" and the name of the city into your search engine.
Minnesota Dept of Corrections
City of Minneapolis Crime Maps
Brooklyn Park Crime Info
Champlin Crime Info

There are several good resources out there...

Best Regards,

Patti Ann

Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 PM

98 posts, read 334,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest456 View Post
Hi, I am considering a move to the Twin Cities next summer or later. I am not locked into a specific employment location yet, just interested in the city for the overall quality of life and because I have friends and family there. Because they all tend to be on the west side of the metro area, I am looking there first, but I also don't have a big budget for those expensive homes in suburban Hennepin. I owned a condo before and after my experience with noisy neighbors sharing walls, ceilings etc. would prefer to have a modest single family home (SFH) with a small yard. No kids so school district is not a consideration.

I visited the city data section on this page and saw that the "median home value" for towns I was interested in like Blaine (whichever is the nicer part of that city), Golden Valley and St louis park was from 125K-160K but I am seeing a lot of comments on the minneapolis forum that you can't get anything more than a shack for less than 250K. Could someone please explain what median home value is and why it is so much lower than the sale prices? Is it skewed downward a lot by townhomes? I had the impression that even the townhomes for sale tended to be at least 175-200K.
I did see a fair number of homes in those cities on various real estate sites for a bit under 200 so I wonder if that means there is something seriously wrong with them?

Are home prices likely to be much lower six months from now? I read about how it is becoming a buyer's market but that sellers are slow to lower their prices.

Thanks for your help in advance.
If you want a desent home for that price you need to go out further. Cambridge, Big Lake, ElkRiver, Rogers, Otsego. Those areas have NEW homes in that price range.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,256 times
Default Do not move to Brooklyn Center or Brooklyn Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelinski View Post
You can always check the Dept of Correctons Website for the state of Minnesota to search for sex offenders and to check out the crime statistics for an area. Licensed Real Estate agents are not actually allowed to discuss these types of issues (by law) but we are allowed to tell you where to go to find the information. Here are some links you might find useful. If you don't find what you are looking for, try entering the words "crime", "statistics", "Minnesota" and the name of the city into your search engine.
[URL="http://www.corr.state.mn.us/"]Minnesota Dept of Corrections[/URL]
[URL="http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-statistics/codefor/"]City of Minneapolis Crime Maps [/URL]
[URL="http://www.brooklynpark.org/sitepages/pid178.php"]Brooklyn Park Crime Info[/URL]
[URL="http://ci.champlin.mn.us/crimestats2007.html"]Champlin Crime Info[/URL]

There are several good resources out there...

Best Regards,

Patti Ann
DO NOT MOVE TO BROOKLYN CENTER OR BROOKLYN PARK

My friend could not wait to move from Brooklyn Center. Youth gangs would block her driveway when she tried to leave for work. She has been followed from the bus and yelled at and called a bigot by some looney woman. She is one of the least racially biased ladies in the world. When she went into a grocery store, the cashier slammed her groceries into her bags and no one in line said a thing. It's called reverse discrimination. There is total disrepect. This treatment has now tainted her view of people. People are putting up bars on their windows to protect their house from intruders. It is starting to look like L.A.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree1 View Post
DO NOT MOVE TO BROOKLYN CENTER OR BROOKLYN PARK

My friend could not wait to move from Brooklyn Center. Youth gangs would block her driveway when she tried to leave for work. She has been followed from the bus and yelled at and called a bigot by some looney woman. She is one of the least racially biased ladies in the world. When she went into a grocery store, the cashier slammed her groceries into her bags and no one in line said a thing. It's called reverse discrimination. There is total disrepect. This treatment has now tainted her view of people. People are putting up bars on their windows to protect their house from intruders. It is starting to look like L.A.
Your friend has a few bad experiences and you're suddenly writing off 8 square miles of land? ok

Old 07-15-2008, 09:37 AM

501 posts, read 1,946,020 times
I'm a little flabbergasted by the bold "DO NOT MOVE TO BROOKLYN CENTER OR BROOKLYN PARK" message as well. Probably cause we're moving to the border of Mpls and Brooklyn Center in a few weeks. Also because it's hard to paint a big red X over an entire area when I'm willing to bet those negative incidences occurred within a 5 block radius. Branding a neighborhood I can accept much easier than 2 whole cities.

I know for a fact (having driven through Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park while house hunting) that there are some highly desirable areas in both of those cities. I also know there are some very undesirable areas. Doesn't mean the good parts disappear because there are negatives.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,256 times
Yeah, yeah, yeah...everyone but their head in the sand. The towns are not what they use to be 20 years ago...safe. As for the "few bad experiences" happening to my friend...it was happening on a daily basis.

I use to work in Brooklyn Center in the 80's off on Shingle Creek and even then it was becoming unsafe and I was approached and yelled at by kids in the mall parking lot while I was in my car. They chased the car to try to surround it and prevent me from leaving but I was able to get away in time. That left me shaken.

We would have moved to that area...and it did look nice and I am sure there are good areas yet...but you have to check the areas out thoroughly.

Take a good look around the Brookdale Mall and see how that has declined from the gang hangouts.

No those burbs are not for my friend anymore (and her daughter is moving out of Brooklyn Park from "incidences" to give her children a safer environment), but to each his own.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM

62 posts, read 290,380 times
There are parts of both of those cities that ARE really nice. There's a pocket west of Brooklyn Blvd and SW of 81/100 that is a FANTASTIC neighborhood (part of Brooklyn Center). Some beautiful, clean and manicured lots and homes. Very nice.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:03 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
I shop in Brooklyn Center all the time and have never encountered any incident, if anything I have found the cashiers and sales clerks to be friendlier than normal for metro standards. I'm not sure what your friend was doing, but I find these stories highly questionable.

I would second that B.C. and B.P. both have very nice desirable areas in them - I sometimes view B.C. as the North Metro's equivalent of Richfield and think that there are some similarities.

And most of the people I know that grew up in Brooklyn Park came from fairly well off families - there are a number of pretty wealthy neighborhoods there as well as your everyday nicely kept up quintessential suburban neighborhoods.

I actually view some of these areas as more desirable than South/ Southwest suburbs - they are way less congested/ easier commutes than anywhere in the South Metro.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 PM

250 posts, read 992,012 times
I am currently showing a buyer homes there and they are VERY affordable - to Bongo's point, there really are some fantastic neighborhoods tucked away in there - plus - you can get something that doesn't need lots of fixing either in the 130's. I think Camden's equivocation to Richfield of the North is a good one. I see the similarity too. I'm very excited to see what is going to happen to that area long term. I'm a strong believer that in coming years property values in this area are going to increase significantly. (This area along with your area, Camden. I know you hope it stays an affordable community, but give it 10+/- years, and I doubt it will be...but then again, you'll be a rich man or woman either way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul