Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 PM

630 posts, read 2,433,266 times

Advertisements

You'll find that people who live within 30-35 miles from the cities are still considered Minneapolis or St.Paul, depending on which side of the river you live on.
We live in Coon Rapids, which is about 25 miles from Minneapolis.
We are considered Minneapolis. I have tried to tell people that we don't live in Minneapolis but, when they type our zipcode into their system, it says we live in Minneapolis. Our mail even comes saying Minneapolis.

Coon Rapids, has really cleaned up its act. There were some areas that weren't so nice, but, now, they've slowly been cleaned up.
The area that we live in is like a small community in itself.
We live two blocks from a really nice park, and our daughter goes to a small community school. There is Sand Creek, which is a complex where softball, baseball, and soccer are played.
There's a very strong sense of community pride.
Every fourth of July, we walk down a few blocks with our lawn chairs, find our spot and sit and watch the parade as it comes down the street.
At night, we walk down to Sand Creek with our blankets, find a spot, and watch the fireworks as they are shot off.... a front row seat.
On the other side of highway 10, they have built a huge shopping area, with just about every store imaginable, along with nice restaurants.

People in our neighborhood watch out for each other, and there are a lot of kids.
The homes are older, some are ramblers and some are story and a halfs.
We live in one of the story and a halfs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGal-MNGal View Post
Thanks for all the information. I have been reading so many different things about the area but I wanted to hear from people who live in the twin cities!
I think we will check out the Rosemont area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 04:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,596,433 times
Default twin cities?

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. I have been reading so many different things about the area but I wanted to hear from people who live in the twin cities!
TxGal--Even though the term "Twin Cities" literally means the two central cities of Mpls and St Paul, the whole area, including suburbs and exurbs, is often referred to as the Twin Cities. If you are saying you want to hear from someone who lives in Mpls or St Paul, that would be me.

If you are interetsed in good city neighborhoods convenient to Bloomington/Mall of America, my neighborhood, Highland Park in St Paul, would fit the bill. There are houses in the $350k and under range, and the neighborhood has lots of small kids living in it. It's a 10 minute drive to Mall of America (when 494 is backed up, locals know short cuts aff the freeway!) Lots of preschools in the area, great library and city rec center, and when the kids are older, great community-oriented grade schools and a good charter schools.

On the Minneapolis side of the river, the Nokomis neighborhood is really charming (although parts of it get lots of airport noise!) It's similar to Highland in housing choices and the commute to Mall of America area may actually be even shorter.

Good luck. I think you'll be happy in MN. Our former next door neighbors moved here from San Antonio, and loved it here, snow, cold and all.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:01 AM

7 posts, read 40,178 times
Ben Around,
Haven't looked into your area yet but since my husband will be working right down the street from the Mall of America it would nice to be close! You'll have to let us in on some of those short cuts if we end up in that area!

Everyone warns us about the weather but I figure if we can survive 110' temps here the other end won't be bad. At least you can put on more clothes and go out and play in the snow up there:-) It is all a state of mind and maybe a good set of snow tires?? Not sure have to learn about all of those things next I guess.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:52 PM

356 posts, read 606,399 times
Quote:
Hey! We're another couple moving to the TC's for the same job. We've emailed with each other. My husband still hasn't got the call yet and we're patiently waiting.

Have you done a house hunting trip yet? How's your husband's training going?

Cathy

Old 04-04-2007, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 29,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
On the up side, you will love Minnesota!! We've lived here 3 1/2 years and relocated from the west coast. The cold is not as bad as some make it out to be. You trade one thing for another. We had rain in Portland, Oregon, now we have cold in Minnesota.
My husband has received a job offer in Minneapolis. We currently reside in Beaverton, Oregon with our two kids, 2 & 4. We've lived here the past 11 years. My husband's entire family lives in Minnesota. What major differences besides the weather have you noticed since moving from Portland to Minnesota (example cost of living, activities, housing, etc.)? We are looking into the cities of Eden Prairie, Maple Grove, Minnetonka, & Wayzata.
Thanks.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,714 times
Default West Bloomington is nice

My husband and I have been in our home in West Bloomington for 7 years. Our neighborhood is full of late 60s homes that range from $250-400 thousand depending upon model, square foot and amount of renovation. Down the street from us there is a cute two story for around $300K that is very close to the schools. Zip is 55437. I agree that EdinaRealty.com has great listings, but I haven't had great experiences with their services either. The weather can change on a dime, so keep your shorts and winter coat available! Best of luck to you.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,270 times
Default In response to Richfield Minnesota..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
There are alot of options. Most areas have wonderful schools, and most are more than wonderful. West Bloomington is the best commute, it is an older (not in a bad way), upscale area. You could prob. find a good sized rambler for 350,000. Eden Prairie, Eagan, Lakeville, Rosemount are new suburban communities, all built within the last 20 years, still some new construction. There are alot of old, first ring suburbs such as Saint Louis Park, Golden Valley or Edina. Edina is one of the most prestegious cities in Henn. County and that comes with a good price tag, but take a look as they have the best schools. You could also easily live in Southwest Mpls., The area was built in the 20s and is upscale (as for schools, many Mpls. kids use open enrollment and end up in Edina). I wouldn't buy in Richfield, the city is going downhill. Basically, however, all of these places has good schools, are safe and have a at least a decent commute. It depends on the type of community you are looking for. As far as exact prices go, I like to use Edinarealty.com. (no affiliation). Hope I helped, Good Luck
I am resonding to whoever said that Richfield is "going dowhill"..Are you kidding me? Tell me someone that wouldn't want to live on 66th and Lyndale? Richfield is (to me) THE Most rejuvinated city. They have made so much progress to fit the needs of the senior community, along with everyone elses needs! Come on, they are building a Super Target, opening in Oct. of next year.
Stop Hat'n on the city of Richfield! It is the most convienant city, to be able to hop on a highway...Eagan is the other, on the southside of town.
Peace! Kris Thayer

Old 05-09-2007, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,270 times
Angry The city of Richfield......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakris View Post
I am resonding to whoever said that Richfield is "going dowhill"..Are you kidding me? Tell me someone that wouldn't want to live on 66th and Lyndale? Richfield is (to me) THE Most rejuvinated city. They have made so much progress to fit the needs of the senior community, along with everyone elses needs! Come on, they are building a Super Target, opening in Oct. of next year.
Stop Hat'n on the city of Richfield! It is the most convienant city, to be able to hop on a highway...Eagan is the other, on the southside of town.
Peace! Kris Thayer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul