Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 AM

34 posts, read 143,099 times

Advertisements

Look at Uptown, I would definetely say this is the most "gay" neighborhood. If you look at a map, I would say uptown spans from about 35th st to Franklin avenue (although south of that in Loring Park is great too)- east to Niccollet and west to Lake Calhoun/Lake of the Isles. Uptown is also defintely the most walkable area in Minneapolis. I live there and don't own a car and get around just fine. There are tons of things to do on Lyndale, Hennepin, Lake and Franklin- the main streets going through uptown. The western part of Uptown is a little more yuppy with lots of lofts and such and more money where the eastern part of uptown is much more indie rock and hipster- either place gays abound!

Good luck, Minneapolis is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 04:04 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,961,929 times
Default MSP bound

Hey ScrantonW-B,
We're an openly gay couple looking very seriously at MSP. There are alot of great points for MSP. Very few so-so points against it. We have been doing a lot of research and found out interesting tidbits of MSP.

Check out HRC.org, Gaydemographics.org, Outfront.org, gaympls.com.

Anything else. PM us.

Greg & Brian.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 AM

18 posts, read 83,015 times
Default Camden Neighborhoods

"Honestly I would say your best bet would be to rent somewhere in Loring Park, Seward, or St Anthony Main/Lower NE/Marcy Holmes area first...all are relatively close to downtown and the U of M. Just get a feel for the city, and then decide on which neighborhood you would want to buy in. For $200k within the city limits, you would probably be limited to fairly undesirable property locations such as the Near North and Northside neighborhoods, but even some areas there are safe (Victory, Camden, Shingle Creek, south part of Harrison)."

I just wanted to thank this poster for admitting there are good neighborhoods in North Minneapolis. The reality is there are WONDERFUL neighborhoods in North Minneapolis, especially in Camden - but you have to be patient and realize these neighborhoods have been plagued by absentee landlords and lack of redevelopment for years. The City will be putting millions of dollars into all North Minneapolis in the next 5-10 years and we should see tremendous results. Meanwhile, I have to say Camden folks are very gay-friendly and there are a lot of good bargains out there for rentals and to buy - there are homes that are move-in condition for under $199k.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 17,941 times
I largely agree with what everyone has said, but a few things.

I don't think the housing market is as bullet proof as one poster thought. Things might be more stable over time in the midwest, but even Minneapolis has experienced the condo boom, and the bubble will (has already begun to) burst.

The mentioned neighborhoods are all great. I would say one thing bout Loring Park - big hobo problem. Seriously, when I chose my new neighborhood to buy, I looked at crime stats and meeting minutes, and Loring Park was 3 straight pages of managing the hobo issue.

Minneapolis is extremely gay friendly, and my gay friends love it here! None of them have been hurt or attacked in any way. I know one person who was called a slur, and a friend of mine works at a church that actively welcomes the gay community, and gets vandalised from time to time. I hate having to report that, but I'd hate for you to move here and expect NO problems. There are close minded a-holes everywhere.

I don't know if these count as rowhouses, but there are GORGEOUS brownstones in south Minneapolis. Loring Park and the rest of uptown have them. I haven't heard anyone mentione Lowry Hill - I used to live there. Great bus access, beautiful streets, brownstone rentals mixed with mansions. Extremely low crime rate. I live in Whittier now and love it - while I can walk to downtown for work, I wouldn't walk all the way to the U. It's possible though - much easier with a bike. And if you're willing to bus, it's cake. I've lived on the U campus/Lowry Hill/Whittier for 7 years without a car.

To echo toml, Minneapolis is great! Welcome

Old 05-28-2007, 09:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,779,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
The reality is there are WONDERFUL neighborhoods in North Minneapolis, especially in Camden

The only real complaint I have ever heard from anyone about Camden is just the distance factor. Its kind of a ways from downtown or uptown if you use public transportation or bike...that, and its kind of lacking in grocery stores and little shops and such. Overall, I like that neighborhood though. The only thing that concerns me about it is the fact that because it has affordable housing, and it has been traditionally safe...with a lot of the foreclosures that have happened I worry it might take a down turn. I hope not though...its a cool spot.

I am kind of sick of Uptown living wise. Love hanging out here, but I am really looking forward to moving.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,585,766 times
Perhaps it hyperbolized too much, but the point remains that the midwest has perhaps the most stable of housing markets. Look on the coasts. Calif., Boston, NY, Penn.. All boom and bust. The condo market is no different from the suburban market. You actually have more first time buyers looking at city condos than suburban homes. The bubble may have popped, but there is little to no depreciation. It is a lousy time to sell, but a buyer will do well. (especially if they are lower in the market or are first time buyers)

Old 05-29-2007, 02:56 PM

149 posts, read 609,563 times
Hi SWB! Have seen you around on the Pittsburgh forums I, for some reason, though you were much older than 20! I also visited your area just last fall (unfortunately due to a death in my family), staying in Clarks Green, with the funeral in Scranton. Ever hear of Miss Ellie's Cakes on W. Market Street in Scranton?

Back to the thread... My daughter has lived in the uptown area, used to go to the U of M, and has lived around the Loring Park area. She's now in what they call the Lynlake area. There's 4 girls (early 20s) renting a house there now. Minneapolis is definitely very open towards any religion (or lack thereof), race, gay or straight. Her friends alone are quite the eclectic mix--which is great when they all come up to our small town to visit (I just smile at the closed-minded up here).

"Howswelegant" has a great handle on the area!

If you're still thinking of the area, and have any specific questions, I can ask my daughter and pass on the info!

Last edited by SueJ999; 05-29-2007 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: confusing "her" - seemed to be speaking of another poster instead of my daughter :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul