Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Don't get me wrong, in principle I'm totally in favor of more suburb-to-suburb transit, and especially for the lower-income folks you mention. I occasionally ride the 850 or 852 buses from Anoka/Coon Rapids, and its clear that the non-express portions of that route primarily serve lower-income people.

I'm just skeptical of the idea that there there is enough demand to support that kind of bus service at the level it would need to be effective for anyone, much less to support light-rail as some have advocated. Some act like the lack of suburb-suburb bus options is an affront foisted on them by Minneapolis. But the suburban transit authorities could get together and run express buses between the suburbs, and yet they don't (with a few exceptions).
Looking at the system map I'd be surprised if the different agencies coordinate much at all. Maple Grove and Plymouth run local routes near each other, but don't cross. MetroTransit and SouthWest seem to do the same thing.

I think the best thing would be if we had a metro-wide transit provider that served the whole metro. But, it doesn't seem that MetroTransit has the desire to focus on the entire metro. I do think the focus on downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul is what drives areas to opt out.

I have to say that as things stand I'd be completely in favor of my part of the metro opting out. The local service certainly can't get much worse. Looking at the route map it seems the opt out areas have far more local service. I'm guessing that's not just coincidence.

I do think the idea of running rail all over the place is not very sound. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to establish that there is demand before spending a bunch of money on capital expenses? And should we really be dumping large amounts of money into certain areas when other areas have basically no service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
I'm repeating myself, but the fact is that all this transit service is run on a public subsidy. Trouble with public subsidies is that powerful forces resist anything involving taxes, especially higher ones. Especially on upper incomes. So any service supplied by public agencies has to justify itself by minimizing subsidy. No matter what the Met Council wants to do, the antitax climate forces it to look at how much subsidy each ride will involve. No matter what the need is for people to get from a residence in one suburb to a job in another, if projected subsidies are too high, public transit won't fill the need. Private companies can do whatever they want. But it has to all be on their dime. And the lack of many of these services is eloquent testimony that the riders just can't afford or don't want the service. Citing population growth is meaningless if the people don't want to pay the cost. Or, in some cases, are just too poor. Maybe the bigger problem is a lack of affordable housing close to these new suburban jobs. Companies site themselves there, but they never expect to be involved in workers getting to the places they choose. Ergo, no alternative to self-supplied transportation (or very long rides to use what is in place).

Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Roads are also subsidized, and I probably don't have to tell you how expensive car ownership is for the avg citizen!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Roads are also subsidized, and I probably don't have to tell you how expensive car ownership is for the avg citizen!
Except that a lot of that subsidy comes from the tax on gasoline....a user tax....

Old 03-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Except that a lot of that subsidy comes from the tax on gasoline....a user tax....
Thing about the road subsidy is that there isn't any big political force against that subsidy. People who burn a lot of gas may squawk when the price goes up, but since they can buy less in the market, they really have no political complaint. But at the same time the people who are CHOOSING to pay through the nose for fuel get even more resistant to the transit subsidy. That means it is one suburbanite against another. And the suburbanites for spending more on transit are outnumbered in the political arena.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
some comes from gas taxes, but I'm guessing it's a much smaller percentage than you think. The number I've most recently seen is about 50% comes from taxes, tolls, etc. The rest comes out of general funds. Public transportation subsidies are higher, but of course the overall amount of money for public transportation is tiny compared to that received by roads. And also worth pointing out is that those costs are only direct costs. We clearly need roads, just don't get fooled into thinking that gas taxes alone are coming anywhere close to paying for them.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 PM

237 posts, read 440,723 times
Realizing how subsidized the transit network is has (kind of) opened my eyes to how lucky we are to be able to have such cheap fares, no matter how inadequate the system may be.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
These numbers clearly aren't perfect, and the article is not current, but here's some good Twin Cities food for thought (and an attempt to quantify trip per ride for car rides, too, for comparison against various forms of local public transportation):
When it comes to public subsidies, Twin Cities light rail seems a bargain | MinnPost

Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
some comes from gas taxes, but I'm guessing it's a much smaller percentage than you think. The number I've most recently seen is about 50% comes from taxes, tolls, etc. The rest comes out of general funds. Public transportation subsidies are higher, but of course the overall amount of money for public transportation is tiny compared to that received by roads. And also worth pointing out is that those costs are only direct costs. We clearly need roads, just don't get fooled into thinking that gas taxes alone are coming anywhere close to paying for them.
Not sure what the actual quantities are. But I'm pretty sure about the politics. Suburban drivers, those who could care less about transit availability, are inclined to say "yes, I pay many ways for my privilege to drive, and I get value. When I pay to subsidize transit, I don't". What that adds up to is very weak support to add to the transit bill. And that matters because the original question was why there isn't more transit to suburbs. In the end, these are all political decisions. If gas gets up to $10, it may change. At any level that is likely, it probably won't. People will either take very long bus rides or maybe carpool. Not sure why there aren't more suburban car pools.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,430,294 times
The answer to the OP's question is that suburbanites have a bizarre expectation for an urban amenity in a suburban setting. It's like asking why you can't expect to walk to stores,restaurants, and bars just a block or so from where you live: it's suburbia. Suburbia is built by design to be unwalkable, unbikeable, and anti-public transit. If you want to ride the bus or rail and have at least decent service you need to live in an urban area where that's a viable option. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul