Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Seriously, lawn mowers?? We use probably 10-15 gallons in our mower in the summer....less than one tank of gas. It's insignificant. There are also local taxes for roads.
Lawn mowers were an example of a gas-powered item not used on the roads. I imagine many Minnesotans still use gas-powered tools, or generators, or power-washers or perhaps light-duty construction equipment like fork lifts? How about snowmobiles? (I know some of these can also use diesel and can be purchased tax-free)

You have to separate the funding for each type of road because it varies widely between the types of road and between states. The tax breakdown for a highway is very different than a local road. Property taxes pay more for local roads but are also supplemented by general and other funds.

I can't imagine rural areas generate enough in property taxes to pay for their local roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Lawn mowers were an example of a gas-powered item not used on the roads. I imagine many Minnesotans still use gas-powered tools, or generators, or power-washers or perhaps light-duty construction equipment like fork lifts? How about snowmobiles? (I know some of these can also use diesel and can be purchased tax-free)

You have to separate the funding for each type of road because it varies widely between the types of road and between states. The tax breakdown for a highway is very different than a local road. Property taxes pay more for local roads but are also supplemented by general and other funds.

I can't imagine rural areas generate enough in property taxes to pay for their local roads?
Really, you obviously have never had to pay tax on farmland or on the very nice income farming generates in MN....

Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,474,724 times
I imagine property tax is the last place road construction money comes from, except perhaps city streets that don't belong to a higher level of government. And even that could be funded by a combination of state and federal money, and no need that it be from the trust fund. As for ridership, it isn't the trend that matters, it is the load factor and the subsidy level. It might have to increase considerably before governments would consider suburban lines working under scrutiny of politics.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/planning/...%20Funding.pdf

Property and income tax funnel into the state appropriations for roads....

Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,579 times
Quote:
Really, you obviously have never had to pay tax on farmland or on the very nice income farming generates in MN....

Hence the question mark. I have often seen it listed that rural roads receive the highest subsidies so I was interested if anyone knew more without me having to dig through fun tax white papers.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Two links some may find interesting:
minneapolis / st paul rideshare classifieds - craigslist
https://www.erideshare.com/carpool.php?dstate=MN

Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
As far as your son, if he was dead-set on public transportation he could move somewhere that offers it as a realistic option, or he could look for another job. I doubt there are many options that could sway many people in his situation to swap out a 15 minute drive for public transportation. As of 2010, only 556 Rosemount residents worked in Burnsville, and presumably those jobs are fairly scattered); it would be tough to create a realistic convenient commuting option that could compete with driving for that route.
I've got to agree here. How many people would trade a 15 minute commute, especially if you've already got the car and the free parking on both ends? Surely the short commute was part of the selling point of the real estate he purchased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal
If he takes the Red Line it's a drive to Apple Valley--about 5 minutes, then on the bus, ride to Minneapolis, transfer buses, back to Burnsville--for an hour and a half minimum
The Red Line does not go into Minneapolis. It is the first purely suburban part of the METRO system. It does run up Cedar, though (and ends at MOA where anyone can catch the 494 bus that mimics the LRT we've been talking about). Your son could drive there, take it to the closest stop, and then bike/walk/bus to his office. I bet it wouldn't take 1.5 hours, but it certainly will take more than 15 minutes.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:36 PM

12 posts, read 21,974 times
I think part of the reason is people ASSUME if you live in a suburb you are more likely to drive a car, so they are currently focusing on areas where more people would absolutely need it to get to and from work. I'm sure eventually they will make their way out to the suburbs but it seems to be a "who needs it right now" plan at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
So there are a million different ways to say it, but transit is not and never has been crucial in creating suburbs. It will take Herculean efforts to make up for decades of neglect.
Agree. Also a lot of people that look into moving to the suburbs that that into account I think (at least I should hope so)... so less people in need of public transport.

Quote:
Right.....and that same upper class person in Minneapolis ???? Get over it already. Why should bus transportation be by "class"? How many of these "poor" people have jobs to begin with?? YOu do realize that ridership in your beloved Minneapolis is dismal at best, right.
Wow... you're quite biased when it comes to Minneapolis. There are quite a good few of us in Minneapolis who use public transport to get to and from our very stable jobs. It's much more convenient than looking for downtown parking or battling traffic down West Broadway. I hate to tell you but there are people who actually live here. I see them all the time. And guess what, some of us are lower income AND have jobs as well. A couple of them even.

Also, I worked very hard to get a car after a couple of years riding because the buses were always so crowded on my route. It's obvious you don't have any first hand experience on things you're talking about.

Last edited by SuperDuckyWho; 03-19-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM

Whenever I had a downtown job, I used transit exclusively. One exception: Worked for a savings and loan which let me park about three levels down for free. My car was always warm, there was no cost, and I worked nights. But most times everything made me want to ride down, not drive down. As a result, all my addresses were on good lines. Sure it limited where I could live, but even now I doubt that the rentals away from good lines were any better.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM

30 posts, read 45,815 times
I moved here recently and the public transportation is horrible. Without a car here in the suburbs, you'd be screwed. Why doesn't this area have a subway like other cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul