Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times

Advertisements

Indoor football & baseball should be banned by the leagues! I wouldn't attend either. Target Field rocks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
As simple as it sounds I think it would not be financially practical to do so. I think Dayton has said that he won't support a roofless design needing the state's participation because of the limits that it would place on being able to schedule events all year long. Iv'e seen cost estimates for a roof that would add between $100M and $150M on the most recent designs. A retractable roof can be added for another $50M - $60M on top of that. One Super Bowl or Final Four event held there would likely recover most of the expense of including a roof. You would also have difficulty convincing trade shows, conventions, concert promoters and other event planners of even scheduling summer events that could possibly be rained out or otherwise disrupted.
Govenor Goofy. He should just put up the family fortune and build a stadium.

How do the majority of other cities have NEW outdoor stadiums??

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
...How do the majority of other cities have NEW outdoor stadiums??
really? it's been in all the papers

Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Good. The thought of spending $1 billion or more on a football stadium seems obscene when people are starving in Somalia, thousands of Americans are losing their jobs, MnScu universities are cutting back programs and laying off employees, and state schools are cutting funding to stay afloat. Hopefully the Vikings will leave and we can spend the money on more important matters.

I know this post won't be popular, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. If the Vikings/NFL want a new palace, they should cough up the dough themselves.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Govenor Goofy. He should just put up the family fortune and build a stadium.

How do the majority of other cities have NEW outdoor stadiums??
I know! Anyway I am all for a retractable stadium, AS LONG AS the Vikings play OUTDOORS regardless of weather conditions and temperatures (even if its -20F without counting the wind chill)! Time to regain that Purple People Eaters advantage they had in the 1970s! And it won't be long before they appear in the Super Bowl again!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Good. The thought of spending $1 billion or more on a football stadium seems obscene when people are starving in Somalia, thousands of Americans are losing their jobs, MnScu universities are cutting back programs and laying off employees, and state schools are cutting funding to stay afloat. Hopefully the Vikings will leave and we can spend the money on more important matters.

I know this post won't be popular, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. If the Vikings/NFL want a new palace, they should cough up the dough themselves.
A much better idea would be to tax those Somalian e-mail scam artists that keep promising me hidden wealth through those get-rich-quick schemes that appear to be their country's major industry.

I also propose installing slot machines in University cafeterias, on light rail cars and buses, at bus shelters and in public school libraries because those people aren't paying enough for the services that they are sucking off with hardly a thank you provided in the process.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post

It's funny you mention people losing thousands of jobs when the construction, maintenance and operation of the new stadium would create thousands of new jobs. Also, you may want to take a closer look at the financing. The owners are contributing over 30% and it looks like the state funding would be coming from gambling. I see the people starving comment to be completely irrelevant....if you wanted to you could use that as an excuse for anything. Why don't we just completely shut down the government because some people are starving somewhere else in the world...

Old 11-06-2011, 12:30 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
well I've heard the pros of a new stadium.. I agree with others that it should be an outdoor one like the packers.. there's nothing like watching a game when it's snowing. And real grass too.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
I know! Anyway I am all for a retractable stadium, AS LONG AS the Vikings play OUTDOORS regardless of weather conditions and temperatures (even if its -20F without counting the wind chill)! Time to regain that Purple People Eaters advantage they had in the 1970s! And it won't be long before they appear in the Super Bowl again!
NFL rules dictate that while the home team makes the decision on opening or closing the roof, the roof must be closed if the temp is at 40 degrees or below.

Some of the costs of a retractable roof stadium are offset slightly by not having to make the field and seating bowl "waterproof" such as, seat and field water drainage, protection of scoreboards, sound systems, etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
NFL rules dictate that while the home team makes the decision on opening or closing the roof, the roof must be closed if the temp is at 40 degrees or below.

Some of the costs of a retractable roof stadium are offset slightly by not having to make the field and seating bowl "waterproof" such as, seat and field water drainage, protection of scoreboards, sound systems, etc.
I did not know this. It makes zero sense to put in a retractable roof then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota