Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxster View Post
Well, yes, however, all of these are addressable through an expansion of the current facility. There is plenty of land around the area and concourses can be expanded, walls pushed outwards, and new bathrooms constructed.

BC Place in Canada was of nearly identical design of the Metrodome, and they renovated the facility to make it modern again and saved a lot of money.

I am completely against the idea of "disposable architecture" especially as all the Metrodome's perceived problems are addressable and the building is paid-off and structurally sound.
This still doesn't address the issues of parking, a place to tailgate, having nicer seating, the horrible acoustics, luxury suites, etc., etc., etc. If you expand the dome you also rework roads, lightrail tracks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Now that the Vikings have been asked to talk nice with Mpls., and Ramsey's sales tax was torpedoed, it seems likely that the playing field has been set-up once again for a Minnepolis location.

Minneapolis will need to commit their 13% entertainment tax of $21M/yr., currently going to the convention center (originally intended for the metrodome) once that is paid off in 2021 and the Vikings will likely be asked to pick up that dept service until then. No doubt Minneapolis will also be looking for a bailout of their basketball arena too. Glen Taylor doesn't seem to willing to participate in this to any degree however.

The state's $21M evidently could be financed by income tax realized through Vikings/NFL salaries even tho that seems to be a concept that rankles some principled citizens.

Little talk has emerged over any kind of expansion of gambling which really show the degree to which the tribes have got their hooks into the politicians.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
If we build the stadium in Downtown Minneapolis the Metrodome site is perfect for expanding, the Farmers market location is a complete joke.
Now if you look at this view of the site
Google Maps
We could turn the new stadium 90 degrees so one endzone is lined with 11th avenue and that will be plenty of enough room to work with.
This way we wont really have to spend extra money on fixing up roads
(like what we would have to do in Arden Hills or the Farmers Market site)
Plus the Downtown Minneapolis location is centrally located and easy access from the freeway

Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
If we build the stadium in Downtown Minneapolis the Metrodome site is perfect for expanding, the Farmers market location is a complete joke.
Now if you look at this view of the site
Google Maps
We could turn the new stadium 90 degrees so one endzone is lined with 11th avenue and that will be plenty of enough room to work with.
This way we wont really have to spend extra money on fixing up roads
(like what we would have to do in Arden Hills or the Farmers Market site)
Plus the Downtown Minneapolis location is centrally located and easy access from the freeway
I think if they were to choose the Metrodome sight, you wouldn't be able to move around the field. When they released the renovated Metrodome plans, it was in the same location. In fact, much of the cost savings was being able to use the old Metrodome skeleton...switching it around would probably kill the plan.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I think if they were to choose the Metrodome sight, you wouldn't be able to move around the field. When they released the renovated Metrodome plans, it was in the same location. In fact, much of the cost savings was being able to use the old Metrodome skeleton...switching it around would probably kill the plan.
I assume your talking about this plan?
Greet Machine - Somebody stop me
(half way down the page not the image on top)

Lol there are so many different plans its hard to me to keep up
http://www.savethevikes.org/wp-conte...ium2SQUARE.jpg
http://images.publicradio.org/conten...stadium_33.jpg
http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Mi...s/newfront.jpg
http://www.theuptake.org/wp-content/...ium-photo2.jpg

Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
I'm not quite sure which one is the official Minneapolis plan, but I'm pretty sure the Minneapolis site will only ever win support if it uses a cheaper plan that Arden Hills. This is probably only possible if they use the current shell of the Metrodome.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 PM

88 posts, read 201,642 times
Hey everyone. I'm the OP of the following thead discussing the Arden Hills proposal:

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...build-new.html

(I didn't realize there was already a thread dealing with this stadium issue.)

Is the Arden Hills site now off the table?

If the Vikings were to remain in downtown Minneapolis, wouldn't that mean the Vikings would have to settle for the TCF Bank Stadium for 3 years?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm the OP of the following thead discussing the Arden Hills proposal:

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...build-new.html

(I didn't realize there was already a thread dealing with this stadium issue.)

Is the Arden Hills site now off the table?

If the Vikings were to remain in downtown Minneapolis, wouldn't that mean the Vikings would have to settle for the TCF Bank Stadium for 3 years?
Assuming they did choose the Metrodome site (because they'd be able to play at the Dome if the Farmer's Market or Basilica sites were chosen), should we really call the Vikings having to play at TCF Bank Stadium "settling"? It's an amazing, brand new stadium in the city with seats for over 58,000 people. It has wide concourses, tons of bathrooms, and amazing suite areas. There's quite a bit of parking that has spots to tailgate (I'm not a tailgater, but I've been with family friends who have the grills, beer, and beanbag game out). Essentially, it's everything the Vikings want and need...except that they can't extort as much money out of it because it's owned by the University.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Default 49ers stadium funding finalized in Santa Clara

Last Friday, the city of Santa Clara (near San Jose) finalized the needed funding of a new facility. The $1.02 billion open-air stadium will be paid for by the city's $850 million loan from Goldman Sachs, BOA/Merrill Lynch & US Bank.

The city will own and operate the stadium and service the 25 yr loan through ticket sales, rent charged to the 49ers and naming rights revenue.

The rest of the money is expected to come from the NFL, a hotel tax and potential redevelopment funds from the city. The 49ers have agreed to pay approximately $30 million/year in rent and all cost overruns.

Santa Clara lines up financing for 49ers stadium (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/02/BAGJ1M7SO0.DTL - broken link)

Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM

88 posts, read 201,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Last Friday, the city of Santa Clara (near San Jose) finalized the needed funding of a new facility. The $1.02 billion open-air stadium will be paid for by the city's $850 million loan from Goldman Sachs, BOA/Merrill Lynch & US Bank.

The city will own and operate the stadium and service the 25 yr loan through ticket sales, rent charged to the 49ers and naming rights revenue.

The rest of the money is expected to come from the NFL, a hotel tax and potential redevelopment funds from the city. The 49ers have agreed to pay approximately $30 million/year in rent and all cost overruns.
I suppose Minnesota won't be able to get that kind of financial break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota