Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is Minnesota Living?
MN is a great state to live! 33 56.90%
It is all right with its own pros and cons. 21 36.21%
I hate living in this state! 4 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Does this mean that Somalis and Indochinese want welfare benefits more than other refugee populations? I'm trying to understand why Minnesota doesn't have equal representation across refugee groups.
What makes you think we don't have equal representation of other groups? When I was on Minnesota Care whenever they sent me a letter they included a slip every time with 10 (yes, 10) different languages stating "Attention. If you want free help translating this information, call HealthPartners at -------------------"
Quote:
Is your argument that Minnesota should not be doing this? I'm just trying to figure out whether it is 'bad' to be a state that has higher benefits, particularly when it seems that MN is using the money for health-related expenses (Medicaid), and not cash benefits, which I feel is what really makes people angry.
Clearly at this point, yes. You can just look at California to see how crippled they have become because of excessive benefits. We invited this upon ourselves (well, not me, but the Baby Boomers because of their beliefs -I was too young it seems when all of this legislation went through.)

Quote:
From the MPR article:

Are these the poor people coming here? Or do we just support the elderly more?
The poor people are coming here because we have the highest of literally all states for things like Medicaid. It's freezing cold here - the only people that originally wanted to be here were the Northern Europeans, or basically Europeans in general. Clearly the wicked climate does not dissuade those seeking a handout. As far as things like EBS and "cash" benefits we are of course high in those as well.

We should have been spending that money on those of us that have had generations of family in the state that have contributed since its founding to fabrication of the infrastructure, not people from third world countries. But once again, "we" brought all this upon ourselves, it seems.

Last edited by Govie; 08-14-2012 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,695 times
Well, I'm not aware of concentrations of East African/Indochinese immigrants to any of those states on the list, even if they have 'better' benefits (we're not that high on the list ). The Federal government places them here, at least initially with refugee status. I doubt Minnesota was their first choice. I'm sorry you don't feel that these people are not contributing enough to this wonderful state. We champion small business owners until we are blue in the face and many of these people are opening their own businesses and remaking formally bad neighborhoods.

I'm not saying that everyone that immigrates here is a wonderful person, but I also wouldn't say that about all of the Minnesota pioneer families.

I'm not going to cry about helping people going to the doctor. I have seen too many problems in other countries where you have to visit a buddy on the corner who knows some medicine for a cheap fix. It is disheartening to see botched amputations and other mistakes on both children and adults. Of course, all medical spending is outrageously high because of ballooning medical costs but that is a different issue. I still fail to see a significant number of adults included on the Medicaid rolls in Minnesota, unless all of these people coming here are elderly at which point I cannot say yay or nay. (Unless the Kaiser foundation is not keeping accurate statistics for the states)

Cash benefits have not been raised since the 80s so I do not see it as an issue. There are definitely those continuously on public assistance and many are mentally ill, mentally disabled, veterans, and some that got a terrible shot at life, either by environmental or genetics. Do you have a solution for helping these people over those that are just unmotivated, especially when that unmotivated population is not the majority population? Maybe we shouldn't? I am just interested in what the alternatives are/could be. I am definitely interested in reducing unnecessary spending but I don't know what the answer is.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I love the people. And most of the jobs are decent too. But I hate the climate and the fact that there's little to do if you don't like fishing and hunting or retail therapy. Winter is more than 1/2 the year and as soon as it's over the bugs and humidity drive you back indoors. More severe weather there in the summer than I ever saw in Texas, even. Seemed like we were always doing storm cleanup and had property damage several times. And then there was all the raking... And then the shoveling... It never ended!

I was transferred there in 1995 and left in 2008. I still miss the people but not the place.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 AM

927 posts, read 2,466,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Why does Minneapolis have the largest population of Somalis (HOT climate people and people that HATE cold climate, this one being the worst in Continental U.S.) anywhere in the world outside of Mogadishu? Also, why do we have the second largest Indochinese population than anywhere in the United States? These people are flocking to the state while our "native" population (mostly white - our state is 87% white) generally just hate the weather. Those are rhetorical questions, BTW.

Like I said, in a nutshell welfare is the biggest reason. Some facts:

Furthermore:

Minnesota among leaders in welfare spending | Minnesota Public Radio News

Combine this with us being such a "progressive" (yet still "purple) state, and things like St. Paul having more colleges per capita than anywhere in America (2nd, actually), those are some of the reasons.

For further reading: Immigrants Tend to Live in High Welfare Benefit States
Next time, start a new thread.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Next time, start a new thread.
Starting a thread on that would just start into a flame war because whenever we talk immigration around here it gets closed. Besides, who are you, a moderator?

Moving along now...

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM

105 posts, read 477,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love the people. And most of the jobs are decent too. But I hate the climate and the fact that there's little to do if you don't like fishing and hunting or retail therapy. Winter is more than 1/2 the year and as soon as it's over the bugs and humidity drive you back indoors. More severe weather there in the summer than I ever saw in Texas, even. Seemed like we were always doing storm cleanup and had property damage several times. And then there was all the raking... And then the shoveling... It never ended!

I was transferred there in 1995 and left in 2008. I still miss the people but not the place.
There are more things to do in MN than you think! There are professional sports, viewing events at various museums, and especially theater and music scenes. I understand it is not for everyone.

Winter and other outdoor activities are a plus because it keeps you healthy and active. St. Paul Ice Carnival is my favorite winter event other than snowmobiling with my children.

Honestly, storm cleanups and property damages come with being a home owner. If you own a townhome headed by an association or live in an apartment, it is not much of an issue.

Speaking of bugs, I believe TX is worse than MN. I remember grasshoppers and crickets were practically flying all over the place when I stopped at a gas station south of Dallas. There is currently a huge breakout of West Nile Virus cases due to mosquitoes there in TX.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourian11 View Post
There are more things to do in MN than you think! There are professional sports, viewing events at various museums, and especially theater and music scenes. I understand it is not for everyone.

Winter and other outdoor activities are a plus because it keeps you healthy and active. St. Paul Ice Carnival is my favorite winter event other than snowmobiling with my children.

Honestly, storm cleanups and property damages come with being a home owner. If you own a townhome headed by an association or live in an apartment, it is not much of an issue.

Speaking of bugs, I believe TX is worse than MN. I remember grasshoppers and crickets were practically flying all over the place when I stopped at a gas station south of Dallas. There is currently a huge breakout of West Nile Virus cases due to mosquitoes there in TX.
My dad was in the reserves down in some southern state (Virginia, South Carolina or Georgia, can't remember) and he said it was terrible the heat. He said there was nothing but bugs and that the weather down there was only good for bugs, lol.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,730 times
Quote:
What makes you think we don't have equal representation of other groups? When I was on Minnesota Care whenever they sent me a letter they included a slip every time with 10 (yes, 10) different languages stating "Attention. If you want free help translating this information, call HealthPartners at -------------------"

Clearly at this point, yes. You can just look at California to see how crippled they have become because of excessive benefits. We invited this upon ourselves (well, not me, but the Baby Boomers because of their beliefs -I was too young it seems when all of this legislation went through.)

The poor people are coming here because we have the highest of literally all states for things like Medicaid. It's freezing cold here - the only people that originally wanted to be here were the Northern Europeans, or basically Europeans in general. Clearly the wicked climate does not dissuade those seeking a handout. As far as things like EBS and "cash" benefits we are of course high in those as well.

We should have been spending that money on those of us that have had generations of family in the state that have contributed since its founding to fabrication of the infrastructure, not people from third world countries. But once again, "we" brought all this upon ourselves, it seems.
You're complaining about, "other" people receiving free money and benefits but yet you yourself was on Minnesota Care?! You're just a typical White person who is living on, "benefits" yet complains about other group of people living for free without any facts based on your hate. Stop hating others for your own failures in life.

I've worked for the State for many years and have seen more Whites applying and receiving, "cash" handed to them than any minority group. I've also worked as an RN in the ER and have seen more Whites coming into the ER without any medical insurance than any other group. And you know whats worst, these people are regulars, usually comes in once every week for some type of illness that they made up just to get attention for themselves!

Before you go judging other people, do yourself a favor and get out of your miserable life and see the truth to what it is. This State is great not only because of its White population but people from third world countries as well. If you don't like it, I'm sure there's plenty of Southern states that will gladly take you in because clearly you're still stuck in the 1800s like some of them!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStatesMan View Post
You're complaining about, "other" people receiving free money and benefits but yet you yourself was on Minnesota Care?! You're just a typical White person who is living on, "benefits" yet complains about other group of people living for free without any facts based on your hate. Stop hating others for your own failures in life.

I've worked for the State for many years and have seen more Whites applying and receiving, "cash" handed to them than any minority group. I've also worked as an RN in the ER and have seen more Whites coming into the ER without any medical insurance than any other group. And you know whats worst, these people are regulars, usually comes in once every week for some type of illness that they made up just to get attention for themselves!

Before you go judging other people, do yourself a favor and get out of your miserable life and see the truth to what it is. This State is great not only because of its White population but people from third world countries as well. If you don't like it, I'm sure there's plenty of Southern states that will gladly take you in because clearly you're still stuck in the 1800s like some of them!
WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I'M WHITE???!!?!!?!?!

Shame on you for your obvious PREJUDICE.

Minnesota Care ISN'T for unemployed people. People who WORK are on the program as well, you liar.

EDIT: and of course there are going to be more white people on certain programs as MN is 87% WHITE.

You lie and obfuscate just because you have prejudice against white folks and seem to think the only people on the planet capable of prejudice and racism are of the Caucasian variety, but you should look in the mirror. I'm well aware of white folks on programs I have listed previously here.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,730 times
Quote:
WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I'M WHITE???!!?!!?!?!

Shame on you for your obvious PREJUDICE!

And Minnesota Care ISN'T for unemployed people. People who WORK are on the program as well, you liar.

EDIT: and of course there are going to be more white people on certain programs as MN is 87% WHITE.

You lie and obfuscate just because you have prejudice against white folks and seem to think the only people on the planet capable of prejudice and racism are of the Caucasian variety, but you should look in the mirror.
"We should have been spending that money on those of us that have had generations of family in the state that have contributed since its founding to fabrication of the infrastructure."

And this makes you Black or any other group of people?

Minnesota Care is still a benefit through the State using Tax payer money to help people out. If you're so against the state handing free benefits to people, buy your own health insurance like many of us do!

But of course, when it comes to being YOU using these programs you have nothing against it, its only when people from third world countries uses these programs that you're all up in arms about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota