Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is Minnesota Living?
MN is a great state to live! 33 56.90%
It is all right with its own pros and cons. 21 36.21%
I hate living in this state! 4 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStatesMan View Post
"We should have been spending that money on those of us that have had generations of family in the state that have contributed since its founding to fabrication of the infrastructure."

And this makes you Black or any other group of people?

Minnesota Care is still a benefit through the State using Tax payer money to help people out. If you're so against the state handing free benefits to people, buy your own health insurance like many of us do!

But of course, when it comes to being YOU using these programs you have nothing against it, its only when people from third world countries uses these programs that you're all up in arms about it!
There are people here that are of color that have generations that have contributed. Fail.

I was on MN Care DURING COLLEGE, for a brief period, and I STILL paid premiums and a percentage of any meds. Could not be more than two years of my entire life. I never have applied for EBS, Section 8 housing, public housing ("projects"?) or any other "benefits" ever and wouldn't even know of any other programs or if I would even qualify. Fail.

My great grandparents, grandparents, parents, great uncles and aunts, uncles, aunts, cousins and siblings have ALL contributed immensely to Minnesota, both in taxes and otherwise. Fail.

You ignorance/selectivity to my posts is astounding.

Last edited by Govie; 08-17-2012 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
There are people here that are of color that have generations that have contributed. Fail.

I was on MN Care DURING COLLEGE, for a brief period, and I STILL paid premiums and a percentage of any meds. Could not be more than two years of my entire life. I never have applied for EBS, Section 8 housing, public housing ("projects"?) or any other "benefits" ever and wouldn't even know of any other programs or if I would even qualify. Fail.

My great grandparents, grandparents, parents, great uncles and aunts, uncles, aunts, cousins and siblings have ALL contributed immensely to Minnesota, both in taxes and otherwise. Fail.

You ignorance/selectivity to my posts is astounding.
This is exactly why I wish we would've started a new thread about this.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love the people. And most of the jobs are decent too. But I hate the climate and the fact that there's little to do if you don't like fishing and hunting or retail therapy. Winter is more than 1/2 the year and as soon as it's over the bugs and humidity drive you back indoors. More severe weather there in the summer than I ever saw in Texas, even. Seemed like we were always doing storm cleanup and had property damage several times. And then there was all the raking... And then the shoveling... It never ended!

I was transferred there in 1995 and left in 2008. I still miss the people but not the place.

I don't know what part of TX you are referring to, but I find your take on MN summers (compared to Texas' brutal, never-ending summers) to be way off base.

Maybe you're from El Paso or other desert parts of TX and the bugs and humidity really bothered you in MN?

I also find your statement about the limited things to do as even more off base. Especially compared to the severely limited options in TX for outdoor recreation (apart from Austin and Big Bend).

Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
I think Minnesota is better than about 90 percent of the alternatives. The bugs and humidity are my two big downers. The politics have been in the dumper for the most recent decade. But I don't have Scott Walker for governor like next door. It was the first state to control second hand smoke. It exposed the dirty secrets of the tobacco industry. It provided strong national leadership in the progressive era. The list could go on and on. So even if I'm not irrationally devoted to the state, I have to give it kudos for being a bulwark against some of the worst excesses other states have imposed on the country. I find it a most respectable state. If I were a progressive Texan, I'd move to Minnesota in a heartbeat.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I think Minnesota is better than about 90 percent of the alternatives. The bugs and humidity are my two big downers. The politics have been in the dumper for the most recent decade. But I don't have Scott Walker for governor like next door. It was the first state to control second hand smoke. It exposed the dirty secrets of the tobacco industry. It provided strong national leadership in the progressive era. The list could go on and on. So even if I'm not irrationally devoted to the state, I have to give it kudos for being a bulwark against some of the worst excesses other states have imposed on the country. I find it a most respectable state. If I were a progressive Texan, I'd move to Minnesota in a heartbeat.

Scott Walker is a godsend compared to the political disaster that was 2 doors over - the former governor of Michigan, Granholm. Wisconsin residents take note.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:15 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
"Godsend"? Wow, the requirements have collapsed for that label.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Scott Walker is a godsend compared to the political disaster that was 2 doors over - the former governor of Michigan, Granholm. Wisconsin residents take note.
Politics is a zero sum game. Jobs will continue to increase the fastest in areas that have a talented and well educated workforce.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
""Why does Minneapolis have the largest population of Somalis (HOT climate people and people that HATE cold climate, this one being the worst in Continental U.S.) anywhere in the world outside of Mogadishu? Also, why do we have the second largest Indochinese population than anywhere in the United States? These people are flocking to the state while our "native" population (mostly white - our state is 87% white) generally just hate the weather. Those are rhetorical questions, BTW. """
Really. Are you implying that Minnesota has the second largest Indochinese population because of your welfare system?
Most Indians and Chinese are skilled workers who work at your 3Ms and ShopNBcs and hospitals and universities, or they run small businesses. You know, all jobs that help you stay Moneysota btw!

IN any case, i have never heard of any Indian or Chinese who relocate to a place because of the welfare system. However they would move even to Siberia in winter if they heard that it had great schools, universities and decent paying jobs.
How can you compare immigrants who come with work visas and job skills and work experience ( ready to jump into the workforce ) to immigrants who have escaped war-ridden countries or US citizens that move to Minnesota just for welfare? Are you really that ignorant?

Now I understand why I get icy stares by some Minnesotan locals. I have even experienced being heckled by white teens. they make high pitched Arab war cries when I pass them in public.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Minnesota is a big state. I would not want to live in the western, flat area of the state that looks like South Dakota where there's nothing to do, but still have to pay the state income tax, most of it which goes to support the twin cities. On the other hand, I could handle living around the twin cities, there's enough to do. Somewhere around Winona would be the sweet spot, the warmest town in the state.
Huh? The Twin Cities contains the majority of the state's population, as well as the seat of government. It would be rather strange if 'most' of the state income tax was not spent there, now wouldn't it?

Beyond that, since Minnesota has a progressive income tax, and since not a single western prairie county has a per capita income as high as the statewide average, not only are the residents of the western prairies bearing only a small total amount of the state budgetary burden, they're also bearing a proportionally smaller per capita burden. As it should be - I'm not complaining about this, but merely pointing this out, in light of the fact that you clearly (and bizarrely) think the western prairie counties are somehow getting the short end of the stick in this regard.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Why does Minneapolis have the largest population of Somalis (HOT climate people and people that HATE cold climate, this one being the worst in Continental U.S.) anywhere in the world outside of Mogadishu? Also, why do we have the second largest Indochinese population than anywhere in the United States? These people are flocking to the state while our "native" population (mostly white - our state is 87% white) generally just hate the weather. Those are rhetorical questions, BTW.
Congratulations. You've found two (out of hundreds) of ethnic groups from warm climes that have settled in large numbers in Minneapolis-St. Paul, and you've concluded that this is because they're freeloaders.

If Minnesota was a disproportionate magnet for dozens, if not hundreds, of ethnic groups from warm climates, you might have a point. But given the fact that Minneapolis-St. Paul is the 15th largest urban area in the United States, it would be statistically inexplicable if there weren't a few such immigrant groups here in large numbers.

The dynamics of immigrant populations are that later-arriving immigrants tend to follow those who went before, because those who have already made the transition to the United States can assist those who follow with getting settled, and because there will be some familiar culture already established by those who went before. So, how did that initial, founding population, of Somalis in Minnesota come to be? There's a reason, and it's not your completely made-up claim that (just happens) to confirm your biases.

Cultures & immigration beat: Book charts Somalis' path to Minnesota | Star Tribune
Quote:
Somali refugees first began flocking to the state in 1993, and today Minnesota has the nation's largest Somali population.

Though the first arrivals came to the United States in 1990, they initially went elsewhere. San Diego was the original magnet city, but jobs were scarce there.

On May 20, 1992, an ad in the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Argus Leader announced that a turkey plant in Marshall, Minn., was hiring. Four Somalis from Sioux Falls applied and were immediately hired. News of their success reached San Diego, and soon a sahan party left to investigate. Four bachelors from California hopped in a car and traveled to Marshall's Heartland Poultry plant, where they, too, found work.
I'm guessing the Hmong have a similar story regarding Minnesota. But I've made my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota