Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,436 times

Advertisements

The big bucks are for the law or Carlson profs....makes sense if you consider the cost of attending? Also, if you are jointly a doctor/surgeon (as mentioned) or the director of a Center you probably get a bump in pay.

llgg - what kind of position are you looking into? I would say that your UCSF vibe wouldn't be found at the U of M....based on anecdotes anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,480,367 times
I've been watching what goes on at the Twin Cities Campus for years, since it is my alma mater. All these new sports fields and fancy new buildings. Can't imagine how much debt service the budget must contain now. Since there is no transparency in the finances, once is left to guess. Seems like reaction to questions is always defensive, with nice sound bites but very little disclosure. Brings back the time when I think Ken Keller was president and the U couldnt explain where hundreds of millions disappeared to. At that time, they blamed a bad accounting system and pledged to get a budgeting method that works. But time passed, expenses kept climbing, now their response is they know they have work to do, they are making progress, blah, blah, blah. To me the regents are like every corporate board, more or less toothless watchdogs. And if this is "typical" of public universities, that is bad news. They've all coasted due to easy student loan approvals. The parallel with real estate is pretty unsettling.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I've been watching what goes on at the Twin Cities Campus for years, since it is my alma mater. All these new sports fields and fancy new buildings. Can't imagine how much debt service the budget must contain now. Since there is no transparency in the finances, once is left to guess. Seems like reaction to questions is always defensive, with nice sound bites but very little disclosure. Brings back the time when I think Ken Keller was president and the U couldnt explain where hundreds of millions disappeared to. At that time, they blamed a bad accounting system and pledged to get a budgeting method that works. But time passed, expenses kept climbing, now their response is they know they have work to do, they are making progress, blah, blah, blah. To me the regents are like every corporate board, more or less toothless watchdogs. And if this is "typical" of public universities, that is bad news. They've all coasted due to easy student loan approvals. The parallel with real estate is pretty unsettling.
Most of the stadium costs were funded through private donations-mainly TCF--the state portion will be paid mostly sand mining in the land swap deal at UMore.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM

In short, alumni will help the jocks, but not the academics. A sign of greatnessin a university.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
In short, alumni will help the jocks, but not the academics. A sign of greatnessin a university.
Well, amazingly all of the academic buildings have been built through similar means.....

Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM

77 posts, read 220,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Salaries are public info, so you can search here:

Minnesota Public Employee Salaries

Benefits summaries here:

Benefits Summaries for Prospective Employees

You can probably dig around for more specific benefits info in the links to the left side of that page.
Thank you-- when I first looked at the salaries website a few weeks ago, I dismissed it because I was looking for salary ranges rather than actual salaries. But you make a really good point-- actual salaries are more relevant than ranges. So, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
The big bucks are for the law or Carlson profs....makes sense if you consider the cost of attending? Also, if you are jointly a doctor/surgeon (as mentioned) or the director of a Center you probably get a bump in pay.

llgg - what kind of position are you looking into? I would say that your UCSF vibe wouldn't be found at the U of M....based on anecdotes anyway.
My first choice would be to do what I did for 7 years at the University of Hawai'i, which was department management. I had a heavy focus on writing grants/reporting and all dep't. fiscal matters, but I also managed the administrative staff, payroll, etc. State and federal grant research projects, either medical or social services (particularly at-risk youth services) research, have been my focus. At UCSF I solely managed medical research funding (particularly the workings and legal aspects of applying for funding). I'd like to get back in the dep't. and have a little broader scope as I did before.

It would be great to be in a more reasonable environment. I like to do a good job and I am very conscientious, but it's untenable to know that the system is set up for failure because the workload is impossible. I would have blamed myself, but the 80 other people I got to know in the same position were all miserable and feeling the same way. The turnover is not good. But like I said, they are some very nice people so that helps. Thank you for your insights!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, amazingly all of the academic buildings have been built through similar means.....
I assume you've check that in the records? It isn't as if the local media publishes anything like that. I'm quite sure local contractors built them. But the financing?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,992 times
Quote:
More digging: In the Onestop section of the U's site, they give the annual cost at the 13 credit rate. But when you go to the site where they talk about 4 year graduation, they say "15 to 18 credits". Now a college-able student can surely add up the real tuition cost, but it seems to me that if you calculate the 15 to 18 credit cost, the total is no longer lower. The average if above $8000.
The reason 13 credits is quoted is because students are considered full-time as soon as they reach 13 credits. Once you reach full-time status, you pay a flat, full-time tuition free equivalent to the price of 13 credits. So taking 15-18 credits will cost the same amount as taking 13. You'll just graduate later (unless, of course, you're bringing in credits to begin with, like many students are doing).

Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
The reason 13 credits is quoted is because students are considered full-time as soon as they reach 13 credits. Once you reach full-time status, you pay a flat, full-time tuition free equivalent to the price of 13 credits. So taking 15-18 credits will cost the same amount as taking 13. You'll just graduate later (unless, of course, you're bringing in credits to begin with, like many students are doing).
Actually even if you take less than 13 credits you are charged the 13 credit flat rate, unless you apply for and are granted an exemption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota