Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM

89 posts, read 291,356 times

Advertisements

So I have been looking in the northeast NE & southeast MN areas for jobs for my husband and I to relocate closer to family in SD this year. I had been looking a lot at Rochester because of Mayo (my husband is a biomedical equipment technician). Just yesterday I took a look at Lake City and I am in love. In love with the scenery, size of town, & recreational activities (we like hunting, fishing, biking, running, swimming). Red Wing looked pretty nice too.

I will be getting my bachelors in Human Services with hopes of a county/state job, something within child services or residential treatment centers, I would even love to work at an alternative school. With these towns being a little smaller I'm not sure what they would have for jobs. So I was wondering if people commute to Rochester from these towns? I'm sure in the winter it would not be fun, I thought it said they were 30 miles away. Just curious! I think this area sounds a lot more fun than northeast NE I'm so excited!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1628 View Post
So I have been looking in the northeast NE & southeast MN areas for jobs for my husband and I to relocate closer to family in SD this year. I had been looking a lot at Rochester because of Mayo (my husband is a biomedical equipment technician). Just yesterday I took a look at Lake City and I am in love. In love with the scenery, size of town, & recreational activities (we like hunting, fishing, biking, running, swimming). Red Wing looked pretty nice too.

I will be getting my bachelors in Human Services with hopes of a county/state job, something within child services or residential treatment centers, I would even love to work at an alternative school. With these towns being a little smaller I'm not sure what they would have for jobs. So I was wondering if people commute to Rochester from these towns? I'm sure in the winter it would not be fun, I thought it said they were 30 miles away. Just curious! I think this area sounds a lot more fun than northeast NE I'm so excited!!!!
I wouldn't want those commutes, especially in the winter 40 miles from Lake City, 58 from Red Wing. If you want a smaller town, try Stewartville or even Spring Valley. Spring Valley is a very cute smaller town, lots of older houses, etc.

Does your husband have a job lined up at Mayo? If not, many of the smaller towns around the state have hospitals or medical systems where he might be able to find a job and you could live in that smaller town. Red Wing has a hospital (I think with the Mayo system--if not Mayo Fairview).

Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Default to Golfgal~

Thank you for the response. I swore when I map-quested yesterday it was 35 miles, but you are right, I would not want that commute anywhere, especially in MN winters

He does not have a job lined up yet. We will be applying probably April/May/June. He goes to Africa for a hunting trip the beginning of May and I graduate July 1st so we want those 2 things out of the way before the move. That is good to know that Mayo Health System is in other towns as well. Thank you for the input!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Lots of people commute from the surrounding communites (including Lake City and probably Red Wing), and Mayo has a bus system that goes to surrounding communities including Lake City. I'd keep looking at Mayo jobs and Lake City if you are interested. Commuter Bus Lines | Rochester City Lines | Rochester MN Bus Company

Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Lots of people commute from the surrounding communites (including Lake City and probably Red Wing), and Mayo has a bus system that goes to surrounding communities including Lake City. I'd keep looking at Mayo jobs and Lake City if you are interested. Commuter Bus Lines | Rochester City Lines | Rochester MN Bus Company

Wow- that's awesome! I had no idea the bus would go there too! That is great news, thank you so much for the link

Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
I do believe the bus system is for anyone making the commute actually so if you found a job in Rochester you'd be able to ride too if it worked out for you with your schedule.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
That is a nice option...with that option, I would live in Lake City and maybe Red Wing. It's still a lot of extra time added to your day though.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 AM

210 posts, read 286,015 times
Since it sounds like you are outdoorsy types of people, I think you'd like it around there. I love the Red Wing/Lake City area for photographing bald eagles. The river bluffs around Red Wing and Rochester have a beauty all of their own. If you like stream trout fishing, their are miles and miles of trout streams near Rochester. The only things that would keep me from moving there when I retire, is the weather. They do get more extreme heat and humidity and they also seem to get more snow storms.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM

169 posts, read 526,456 times
I live in Rochester, and many of my co-workers drive an hour to work everyday (from Wisconsin or Iowa). Also know a couple who live here, one of them works here, and one of them drives to Red Wing/Lake City to work everyday.

So it's do-able, but whether it's the best use of the time is another matter. Driving in winter time will also take longer / more hazardous. Some people don't mind driving too much in winter, others may get stressed about it.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
I live in Rochester, and many of my co-workers drive an hour to work everyday (from Wisconsin or Iowa). Also know a couple who live here, one of them works here, and one of them drives to Red Wing/Lake City to work everyday.

So it's do-able, but whether it's the best use of the time is another matter. Driving in winter time will also take longer / more hazardous. Some people don't mind driving too much in winter, others may get stressed about it.
It depends a lot on the weather in a given year. I commuted between Eden Prairie and Owatonna (almsot exactly 60 miles) for 8 months back in 2003 on I-35, and it wasn't so bad in the winter. A nice relaxing routine in the morning, actually. However, it did end up removing two hours from my day, effectively.

That winter was mild. I never really had issues during the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota