Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post
Thanks everyone! Good thoughts all around.
Before I started this thread I asked a few friends the same question. One said it was because fences don't hold up well in Minnesota because of the weather and they can look shabby after a few years. Another said it was because the snow melts and can puddle up against a fence, causing a problem for a next door neighbor that's a bit uphill from you. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I guess I'm wondering if there's a practical reason for the HOA rules that limit fences.
I don't think the reasons you list here are the actual reasons at all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 11:45 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times
I've never heard that Minnesotans don't like fences. I have a backyard privacy fence where I live (Minneapolis). My neighbors and I get along so well that they just use my fence along their property line and built their own fence around the rest of their property.

My mom lives in Waseca and has built a privacy fence in her backyard. Neither she nor I have heard any complaints or negative comments from neighbors, nor would we ever expect to hear anything of the like despite the fact that we both have lived in Minnesota the vast majority of our lives (therefore may have some claim to knowing Minnesotans).

I suspect the phenomenon you're referring to has nothing to do with Minnesota and more to do with specific homeowner's associations.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:11 PM

752 posts, read 566,800 times
'Cause it's weird. Oh, jeez, look at your magnificent parcel! Yer really big-time now!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM

35 posts, read 28,939 times
Minnesotans traditionally are a bunch of nosey Germans and Scandinavians who like to keep tabs on their neighbors. Privacy fences greatly reduce the number of potential neighborhood gossip topics.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
The no fence thing is alive and well in Rochester. I couldn't find a house with a fence or a sub-division that allowed them (at least that met our other requirements in a house). So we have dogs and had to get an invisible fence which hasn't worked out AT ALL. The dogs are terrified and won't go in the yard at all. Not awesome. But I have also noticed more people walk their dogs and less dogs are let outside to play during the day (even in the warm months). Still, tons of people have dogs.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 AM

371 posts, read 556,122 times
The HOAs I know of limit the type of fences. Mostly they prohibit plain chainlink fences.

I think the lack of fences in the Midwest is more of a cultural thing and not related to snow or the other reasons mentioned. We visited relatives in a new development in Utah and it was odd how they all had fences so that other houses couldn't be seen and kids definitely couldn't go from yard to yard.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
The HOAs I know of limit the type of fences. Mostly they prohibit plain chainlink fences.

I think the lack of fences in the Midwest is more of a cultural thing and not related to snow or the other reasons mentioned. We visited relatives in a new development in Utah and it was odd how they all had fences so that other houses couldn't be seen and kids definitely couldn't go from yard to yard.
The upper end neighborhood in Hastings (Wyndam Hills) does not allow any type of fence unless you have a pool and then it has to be wrought iron.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:50 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
'Cause it's weird. Oh, jeez, look at your magnificent parcel! Yer really big-time now!
It has nothing to do with being weird or thinking one's a big-timer. Some people put up fences because they hang their clothes on a clothesline and don't want others to see their bedsheets or socks.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:00 PM

752 posts, read 566,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
"It has nothing to do with being weird or thinking one's a big-timer. Some people put up fences because they hang their clothes on a clothesline and don't want others to see their bedsheets or socks."
Oh, I agree that there are legitimate reasons for having a fence. It's just that if everyone has one -- which, in a lot of places, is the norm -- it certainly detracts from the 'community' vibe.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 PM

183 posts, read 159,222 times
It's Minnesota Nice. Most people like to know their neighbors.
It's like the Pope says: Don't build walls, build bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota