Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Oh, I agree that there are legitimate reasons for having a fence. It's just that if everyone has one -- which, in a lot of places, is the norm -- it certainly detracts from the 'community' vibe.
IME, community is kind of a double-edged sword, or a mixed bag in Minnesota.

For people who live in urban areas where there's a lot of ethnic diversity, there's a strong sense of community as people are sometimes from the same culture, or they are welcoming of the cultural differences and see the community as an extension of their family. I also see this in more rural places, where there's more homogeneity.

However, my experience overall has been regardless of fencing people tend to want to keep to themselves. I've been told it's a "Scand" thing, but the Scandinavian culture no longer has a strong influence. I've chalked it up to a Minnesota thing. People are polite, friendly and all that but I have yet to see a lot of people go out of their way to know their neighbors. It's very much an "outsiders" vs. clique thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 05:48 PM

210 posts, read 286,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
People are polite, friendly and all that but I have yet to see a lot of people go out of their way to know their neighbors. It's very much an "outsiders" vs. clique thing.
I don't look at my new neighbors as outsiders and I'm definitely not cliquish. I just don't like people.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,593 times
Half my yard is fence chain link between the main garage and the house back of the property line to the end of the front of the second small garage used for storage and holds lumber, and along the front sidewalk, I like it. Everyone ask me why I don't put in a gate when I go out to the shop around the fence, maybe someday I will do that. We have a vine that grows in the front of the fence and in the fall it turns bright red and orange. It is called Boston something. The deer eat the vines in the winter, but it always comes back it is beautiful.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,452 times
I've been travelling to the US frequently since 1998 and have been to many States across the country, from Texas to Minneosota and many in between (mostly along the east coast). On my first trip, I was visiting a friend in the Houston area and her house (and the neighbourhood) had fences between the properties but other housing areas nearby didn't. Many neighbourhoods around the Newtown area in Bucks County in Pennsylvania don't have fences either. I've come across many areas in the States where there are no fences between houses. I find this fascinating as here in the UK, all houses have fences, walls or high thick hedges between properties.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
My first 12 years I lived in a Fridley neighborhood. No fences. Made it easy for me to visit some good friends with a very short walk through a couple back yards. With fences it would have been several blocks. Think it especially gave my my mother a little peace of mind that I could visit them without walking along or across a street when I was very young. None of our neighbors had a vicious dog, so that also helped. Lol.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-17-2016 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
I have lived in South Minneapolis, Southwest Minneapolis, North Minneapolis, Northeast Minneapolis and several suburbs. They have all had fences. Redwood fences, chain link fences, cedar fences. Never had a cement wall fence like in other states. So outside of that I don't see anything cultural about this.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 PM

357 posts, read 444,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It's a suburban thing where they want to feel like they're out in the country. We have fences in the city.
Yes, city lots nearly all have fences, but usually short (3') ones. This is very unlike the 6' totally closed fences you'll find in places like Texas.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,447 times
You know what I kind of miss? Front porches. I lived for a little while in an Anoka rental where all of the houses had little front porches, and I got to know more of the neighborhood just because we'd be hanging out on the front porch while they walked by. Plenty of foot traffic past my place now, but because we don't have a front porch, we tend to hang out on the back deck and miss those little interactions that help you feel like you know your neighbors just a little better.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 10,637 times
Across the river i would say its a mix. A lot of fences, but then a lot of houses don't have them. The big thing as of late is the dog craze. Seems like everyone and their 1st cousin has a dog...and with dogs usually you like a fence. I put up a fence so people don't have to see my heaps of junk. I love collecting junk, but neighbors don't like to look at that.

Fences make good neighbors or some crap like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota