Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 PM

34 posts, read 94,361 times

Advertisements

Why the hell would you want to live in LA? I'm 45 minutes south of it, and I refuse to go there for any reason. The Mexican mafia has declared open season on all blacks, and they are experiencing a race war. MS-13 is gunning down blacks in the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,748 times
Well I moved here from FL to MN and right now I am the minority. I am the Blonde hair blue eye girl. I live about 15 mins. from Minneapolis. I am looking around outside of the Twin Cities. I don't think if you are looking for a less diverse area and a place to raise a family then the Twin Cities is not the place. Look more North. I am looking more towards St. Cloud, or even the outer areas of WI. Like redwing, Hudson etc. It’s far enough from the cities but you can still commute to the cities. I would say about 1 hour and a half.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 PM

129 posts, read 663,205 times
Minnesota is the worst state in the union

In my opinion - but then this is coming from a guy that loves jogging from St. Louis Park to Eden Prairie in 105 degree weather

I've never been "too hot" in my life, but today guess what happened

My car died because of the cold, I didn't have my AAA card so I had to run all the way home in FREEZING weather, my hands couldn't move by the time I got home, my strep throat has been severely worsened, and everyday I go to school everybody looks miserable.

The cold is the worst thing you can do to your skin, and hair, and immune system in general.

Minnesota had the second highest rape rate in 1993, and as of last year we have the fastest growing prisons in the country

We also have a 13:1 black to white prison ratio

One of our twin cities is nicknamed Murderapolis (real name is Minneapolis)

Minnesota "nice" isn't nice, it's just fake - people aren't mean but they sure as hell aren't nice. It's simply indifferent and secluded.

Good luck finding a group of friends when you get out here, Minnesota has had several groups formed specifically for meeting people, because unlike on Venice beach you can't just go up and shoot the **** with strangers

The problem being that Minnesotans are "reserved" as you put it, but if you didn't grow up here, good luck trying to fit in.

In minnesota if you talk to strangers you're "wierd"

As of today I am 18 years old and have moved 17 times in my life, therefore I was never really able to have that "clique" of friends most seem to have here, and it's unbearable at times.

The cold is horrible, last week it was -25 degrees windchill, and it has been a WARM winter this year.

Things to do in MN - go into peoples basements and smoke weed (not for me, i hate wasting my life like that) or go to parties and get drunk (again, hate it)

The colors here are bland, lacking contrast, greys, the sky is almost always clouded over, and for the 3 months out of the year you aren't freezing, you're being attacked by mosquitos, many of which are carrying West Nile virus.

In 7 months I'm moving to Santa Monica - this state is terrible, I always feel depressed when I'm here but when I'm in miami or LA, or texas even... I feel HAPPY

I haven't met a single person from Minnesota that is remotely interesting for more than a month. Their stories all begin to sound the same, and nobody really opens up.

If you want this, and INFLATED housing costs, then be my guest - but keep in mind several highschools have been shut down because NOBODY WANTS TO LIVE IN THIS ****ING ****HOLE

It's really one of the worst places to live in the world as far as weather is concerned, and the fact that a mid sized city can compete with cities like LA and NY in terms of yearly murders... it's NOT the place to raise a family.

In conclusion - DO NOT MOVE TO MN - move to Florida if you don't like the phony LA lifestyle - but MN is a ridiculous choice, I'm sorry but seriously I opened this thread assuming it was a joke.

Do NOT move here, I'm trying to help you, please DO NOT MOVE HERE it's TERRIBLE

Old 01-27-2007, 02:54 PM

129 posts, read 663,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweather! View Post
Also about the drugs... Not many people here use them. Yes, there are some who do, but only a few do. Most people here are druge free. You sound like your are a good guy looking to meet other good people. That IS a possible task here. Most people have religous and/or just plain good morales around here, but there's still some crazies. Minnesota sounds like a possible match for you. Come and visit before you move though. But remember, people here do tend to be reserved.

I only know 7 people at my school that don't regularly use drugs, and I only know about a handful of 30 - 40 kids at EPHS (Eden Prairie - huge 5,000 kid school) that don't get fked up every weekend on either low end (Cannabis/Booze) or higher end (Coke/Ecstasy) and then there are the kids that are really bad (Meth)

Texas was much better - alot of straight edge kids out there

It sounds like you're a parent - just because a kid has good grades doesn't mean that they're not using drugs

Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Josh,

My family and I moved to Minnesota three years ago from Portland, Oregon. We've lived all over the country and have family in northern California. Minnesota is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. The schools are tops in the nation. As someone else mentioned, Minnesota can be a tough place to break into because of strong family ties, however everyone is so very nice and you will definitely meet people. The one thing I love the most about here, versus the west coast is the lack of road rage. Yes, people do get frustrated here (I live in Champlin on the northwest side of Minneapolis and commute to Bloomington) but it is nothing like the road rage in Oregon or California.

I owned a marketing business for quite awhile here and found that there are many many outlets to meet and get involved. Local chambers are a good way to meet other people, network etc. You may not gain clients that way, but at least it puts you in touch with others.

The weather...yes it's much colder here, but if you like cold, you'll love it here. In my opinion it's only much worse when the wind is blowing. And regarding ethnically diverse...Minnesota is nothing, I repeat, nothing like California in that realm. There are definitely different nationalities here, but it is very white here. Living in the outer ring suburbs is the best option as many of the non-white population live in the inner ring suburbs (closer to either St. Paul or Minneapolis). I would highly recommend moving here! I've lived in 13 states and in Europe and traveled to Central America. Out of all the places I've lived and traveled, Minnesotans are by far the best people to have as friends and neighbors. And there is so much to do here in the form of entertainment of all types. I hope this helps in your decision-making process.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
As the saying goes it takes people of all kinds. Personally my experience is 100 percent the opposite of monit.
I probably would have the same reaction as he does though if I lived in Florida or south Texas....I couldnt stand it down that far south.

Granted I live in rural Northwest Minnesota....but I do have family with kids who live in the Chaska area and they love it there and the schools are very good. I am not a native Minnesotan, but have lived in the area for 8 years now and yes I agree with warmweather than people are reserved initially overall. Human nature says you will have those who are more shy and too themselves and others that are more outwardly friendly. I am open and outgoing and when I moved to a new area I go out and say hello to neighbors. From many of the past storms and events in the Red River Valley (i.e. Flood of 97) the people up here do look out for others and although they may not be outwardly friendly to you when the times are tough they will look out after you. As for drugs, etc....like everywhere just who you know I suppose. I dont know anyone who does them....but I dont gravitate toward that crowd anyhow.

I have a small kid...and up in northwest Minnesota hockey is very very big and if your kid is not playing that is a stigma and there is a lot of pressure for your kid to play age 4 and up.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post

In my opinion - but then this is coming from a guy that loves jogging from St. Louis Park to Eden Prairie in 105 degree weather

My car died because of the cold, I didn't have my AAA card so I had to run all the way home in FREEZING weather, my hands couldn't move by the time I got home, my strep throat has been severely worsened, and everyday I go to school everybody looks miserable.

The cold is the worst thing you can do to your skin, and hair, and immune system in general.

Minnesota had the second highest rape rate in 1993, and as of last year we have the fastest growing prisons in the country

Minnesota "nice" isn't nice, it's just fake - people aren't mean but they sure as hell aren't nice. It's simply indifferent and secluded.

Good luck finding a group of friends when you get out here, Minnesota has had several groups formed specifically for meeting people, because unlike on Venice beach you can't just go up and shoot the **** with strangers

The problem being that Minnesotans are "reserved" as you put it, but if you didn't grow up here, good luck trying to fit in.

As of today I am 18 years old and have moved 17 times in my life, therefore I was never really able to have that "clique" of friends most seem to have here, and it's unbearable at times.

The cold is horrible, last week it was -25 degrees windchill, and it has been a WARM winter this year.

Things to do in MN - go into peoples basements and smoke weed (not for me, i hate wasting my life like that) or go to parties and get drunk (again, hate it)

The colors here are bland, lacking contrast, greys, the sky is almost always clouded over, and for the 3 months out of the year you aren't freezing, you're being attacked by mosquitos, many of which are carrying West Nile virus.

In 7 months I'm moving to Santa Monica - this state is terrible, I always feel depressed when I'm here but when I'm in miami or LA, or texas even... I feel HAPPY

I haven't met a single person from Minnesota that is remotely interesting for more than a month. Their stories all begin to sound the same, and nobody really opens up.

If you want this, and INFLATED housing costs, then be my guest - but keep in mind several highschools have been shut down because NOBODY WANTS TO LIVE IN THIS ****ING ****HOLE

It's really one of the worst places to live in the world as far as weather is concerned, and the fact that a mid sized city can compete with cities like LA and NY in terms of yearly murders... it's NOT the place to raise a family.

In conclusion - DO NOT MOVE TO MN - move to Florida if you don't like the phony LA lifestyle - but MN is a ridiculous choice, I'm sorry but seriously I opened this thread assuming it was a joke.

Last edited by Kamsack; 01-29-2007 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: clarify first paragraph

Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM

23 posts, read 104,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post

You've moved almost every year since you were born. Sounds like you haven't really had a chance to get comfortable anywhere. Hope you find a home that makes you happy soon.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:07 AM

34 posts, read 94,361 times
I don't trust anyone's opinion who would entertain the idea of moving to Santa Monica, or who think Venice Beach is a good place. I know people in the movie and music industry, and just about anyone associated with Hollywood is trailer trash. If you're seeking drugs and herpes, Venice Beach is the place for you.

I'm not a parent, but I am getting to the age where I am starting to think about long-term livability. I'm kind of scared to leave CA since I have lived here my whole life. Moving across the U.S., to me, is like moving to another country.

However, considering the way my homestate has been decimated, nothing can be much worse than this. I like Portland and Seattle, but I can't really stand all the bearded hippies.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Default Everywhere is freaks and hairies, tell me where is sanity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh IN CA View Post
I like Portland and Seattle, but I can't really stand all the bearded hippies.
Don't know if you'd like it here in the Twin Cities, then. We've got plenty of bearded hippies here, too! (In their defense, I have yet to be mugged, panhandled, swindled, road-raged or otherwise aggrieved by a hippie, bearded or otherwise, or a bearded person, hippie or otherwise.)

Old 01-30-2007, 04:13 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Yes, I agree with Ben Around, but they are nothing like the Granola-types that live in Oregon. I've lived there and it's extremely different! While some will disagree with me, living in Minnesota is much more of a wholesome atmosphere than out west. And if you haven't lived there, then you really can't speak to that. Yes there is bad stuff here, it's everywhere, but the west coast is very, very different.

And as I've moved around a lot too I never thought of moving across country like moving to a different country. What a great perspective. If you do come out, try Culver's. It's a fast food place that makes the food while you wait. It ranks up there with the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota