Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times

Advertisements

Thanks, these are all great suggestions.

I'll look into each of these into greater detail, but have a quick question about the pictographs: how hard is it to get to them? I guess what I'm getting at is can a couple of us with basic canoe/portaging experience and not the best sense of direction (although I can read a compass and follow a shoreline) find our way there and back, or do we need to go with someone who knows what they're doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Thanks, these are all great suggestions.

I'll look into each of these into greater detail, but have a quick question about the pictographs: how hard is it to get to them? I guess what I'm getting at is can a couple of us with basic canoe/portaging experience and not the best sense of direction (although I can read a compass and follow a shoreline) find our way there and back, or do we need to go with someone who knows what they're doing?

Yes for the short answer. Starting with the pictograph on North Hagman Lake will require a day use permit which is self issued at the portage trailhead or at the entry point, in this case the ep is 77.

The route to Hagman site is found on Fisher Map F-9 and can be purchased at any one of many places including Gander Mountain, Mn Surplus, Northwest outlet, Duluth Pack to name a few. The price will be about 5-7 dollars.

North of Ely, Mn follow the Echo Trail North approximately 3-4 miles beyond Fenske Lake Campground, and look for the sign that will bring you to South Hagman Lake parking lot trailhead.

An 80 rod portage is required to gain the water, each rod being 16 1/2 feet in length. The portage is easy going and basically flat with some rocks and may be wet in places, easy.

Follow western shore of South Hagman Lake, and in the northwest tip of the lake locate the next portage hwich is about 5 rods in length. Heading north up North Hagman stick to the north northwest shore for less than a mile and look for the pictograph on the left on rock wall about 25 feet above the waterline.

They are located in a narrow channel of the lake so as the lake starts to narrow considerably, you will know that you are close/near.
These paintings will be faint so look close.

Pictographs on the Fisher Maps are indicated in Red Circle around an letter I.

Hiking entry points are indicated in a Red number with Red square containing it.

Overnight or day use paddle (canoe) entry points are indicated with Red circle and number.

Canoe campsites are Red circles where hiker campsites are Red triangle.

I would estimate that from the entry point 77 (South Hagman Lake) going to the pictographs will be about 3 miles one way so round trip 6-7 miles less than 3 hours total time should be about right.

As for the second pictograph are located within the Superior National Forest. Purchase McKenzie Map 304 Silver Island.

I would recommed purchasing a map at through the Superior National Forest Headquarters Located in Duluth. Phone Number should be easy to get. There is a large map which one half of it shows the Western half of the Superior National Forest, and the reverse half shows the Eastern Half of the Superior National Forest.

This particular map is nice because it also shows both halfs of the Boundry Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.

Whats REALLY REALLY nice about this map is the detailed road systems through the forest giving new meaning to not having an excuse to get lost.

Very easy to use and follow. Highly recommend this map. It is large and a valuable tool for finding places like Comfort Lake.

Island River Pictographs can be gotten from two different directions points of starting in otherwords.

The first being the Northern end of the river at a bridge parking lot below the bridge just off of the Tomahawk Road, (again use the map to locate this road).

Starting at the bridge follow river South and East passing over about 3 portages all of which are not hard to do, however one of them is a bit tricky on the landing having to pass the canoe up a slight height of rocks/ and rocky portage so just be care on the footfalls/ watch your step it will be ok easy.

Following the river for approximately 4 miles one way look for the pictograph on a steep rock wall about 25 feet above the water line. The paintings here are very faint, but the rock wall is about 40 feet high and smooth face, and should be easy to spot.

On some maps the location of the pictos are on the wrong side of the river, just look for a large tall cliff.

The second and closer access to the paintings can be from Comfort Lake, which is just below Island River. This is a beutiful small lake. Paddle from the portage start at a small lot just at Comfort Lake and paddle north sticking to the north shore of the lake, and entering into Island River through a small channel, paddling west.

Of course there are about three portages on this route all of which are very easy to locate and find and use. One tip though on the middle portage dont be tempted to put back into the water, stick with the portage until the next water.

These portages are short and marked with wooden signs so should be easy to locate. The trip mileage from this location will be about 4-5 miles one way paddle.

The large maps I mentiond earlier are a way of getting to these locations, but smaller highly detailed maps of this area and many many many others can be purchased at some of the stores that sell outdoor, hunting camping that type of stuff.

Canoe will be needed. These short day trips are family friendly and easy to get to. Of course there are many more of these hidden wonderful places to be found, I only mention these two because of the easyness or friendlyness to get here.

Some of the maps that I have are showing locations into the BWCAW for daytrips and overnight paddles. Most of my maps are going to let me paddle for 10-12 miles and stop for camp

Showing the maps of the northern part of the BW and the Canadian Border Routes, also the areas that are off of the eastern half, middle half, and the western half of the the BWCAW.

Some of these maps are:

Fisher F-16
F-9
F-10
F-3
F-4
F-12
F-13
these are some of our favorite maps, again there are many more.

I can happily try to answer any questions or advice of mine.

Hope this has helped somewhat

Thank you
d

Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Here is a short two part movie showing a canoe trip on the exact same route as being mentioned above, showing the pictograpghs on Island River Route starting from Comfort Lake.

This film shows the exact portages and scenery that may be seen along the way.
Also shows what its like to be under the canoe carrying over portages.

Here is part one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6cQMgrrRmU

Here is part two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U1v3...eature=related

Thanks

Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 AM

Ionas Beach, SNA Good place to also look for Lake Superior Agates. One of our favorite places have stopped here many times.
Scientific and Natural Areas: Iona's Beach: Minnesota DNR

SugarLoaf Cove SNA along the Northshore of Lake Superior about 78 miles from Duluth
Hiking interpitive trails 100% wonderful, a must see for several hours
http://www.sugarloafnorthshore.org/

Old 11-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Fantastic remote hidden beach behind Silver Bay, Mn. off of Bus Drive Road and along E. Lakeview Drive road. This beach is large cliffy and rocky one of the best hidden beaches for walking, birding, exploring.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:59 PM

International Wolf Center, Ely, Mn.
Call ahead for program and special events

North American Bear Center, Ely, Mn.
At the end of December for the last week there are many events planned in the schedule for visitors. Call ahead for possibel reservations, a fantastic experience
North American Bear Center | North American Bear Center

It has been said, "We cannot chart the future until we have seen the past."
Roseau Pioneer Farm & Village - City of Roseau, Minnesota

Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 PM

North House Folk School, Grand Marias, Mn
North House Folk School - Groups

Grand Portage Heritage Center, Mn
Grand Portage National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
The National Monument is closed for the season, however the Heritage Center remains open
http://www.nps.gov/grpo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Old 11-24-2009, 03:45 PM

Zumbrota, Mn. home to the only remaining functioning covered bridge.
Also has a historic State Theatre.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Funny coincidence: I actually just got a copy of the North House Folk School catalog in the mail today; the tough part will be deciding what to take and when. (and I have been to the International Wolf Center years ago; I didn't know about the Bear Center, though.)

Old 11-24-2009, 03:57 PM

I watched a guy building a knife in there one time. Awesome
This place has also been featured several times on Venture North, AND The WoodWright Shop, with Roy Under Hill.

And while here, dont forget to eat at the Angry Trout Cafe, and in the summer be able to watch the fisherman coming off of the lake with a fresh catch of fish in the fishing boat.
Very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota