Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Intrigued View Post
This was informative and an enjoyable post to read! I wish we could have spoken to you last year when we went down. We went to each town from Bay St Louis to Ocean Springs.

We visited the area for two weeks last year as a possible relocation area and found it thoroughly enjoyable. We will not relocate without certain financial provisions in place and we are over halfway there. After the visit, we did not cross the Coast off the list but there are some valid questions regarding hurricanes, employment and wages. The folks were nice, the traffic was great and the seafood was excellent.
Thanks so much for your kind words about my post! I appreciate that!
I'd be more than happy to talk to you and answer any questions you have about this area any time! I'm not a Gulfport native; I'm from north MS, but I've lived here for about 30 years now, so this is home! I really love it here... It's a great place to raise children; it's big enough to offer great restaurants and entertainment, yet small enough to have that small town feel that I love. Good luck to you in your search for a new home. I hope you won't cross Gulfport off your list. I think you'd love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,982 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Intrigued View Post
This was informative and an enjoyable post to read! I wish we could have spoken to you last year when we went down. We went to each town from Bay St Louis to Ocean Springs.

We visited the area for two weeks last year as a possible relocation area and found it thoroughly enjoyable. We will not relocate without certain financial provisions in place and we are over halfway there. After the visit, we did not cross the Coast off the list but there are some valid questions regarding hurricanes, employment and wages. The folks were nice, the traffic was great and the seafood was excellent.
I don't know whether I thanked you for your kind words when you made this post, so thanks very much! And I'm glad to hear you're not crossing us off your list! I still love it here in Gulfport, and I think you would too!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
Another question.... I'm from South Carolina but have always been fascinated by the state of Mississippi. What is the richest area in the state? I would imagine a suburb of Jackson... but I may be wrong. Something close to a decent sized city, that is safe and decently educated? (have to say "decent" when talking bout the South!)
Madison has the highest household income of any city in the state. Median household income is $96,000 a year. Only 4% poverty rate in Madison.

Madison (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Ridgeland which is just south of Madison is probably the next wealthiest city. There is a lot of new development in Ridgeland, and it offers way more in the upscale shopping, parks, trails, lakes, and such. Madison is the area with most of the extremely wealthy suburbs are, Ridgeland has the shopping, and Jackson has the poor hoods.

After Ridgeland I would say Southaven is the next brightest city. It's a suburb of Memphis just on the Mississippi side. Very well to do area. Hattiesburg has a lot of hidden wealth. Next I'd say the coastal cities also have a lot of wealth.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:25 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the southern gentleman View Post
Another question.... I'm from South Carolina but have always been fascinated by the state of Mississippi. What is the richest area in the state? I would imagine a suburb of Jackson... but I may be wrong. Something close to a decent sized city, that is safe and decently educated? (have to say "decent" when talking bout the South!)
Also just curious on the fascination with Mississippi, where does that stem from?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM

11 posts, read 17,767 times
I first went tovisit JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI this last Summer and even though the old city is mostly vacant as a result of the WORLDWIDE ECONOMY, it still has beautiful and very classy restaurants, th enicest and Eclectic hotels in the center of Jackson and hte nicest of people I have ever met anywhere on this Blue Planet, Jackson best asset are its wonderful people of all walks of life, even the homeless panhandling were were sweet and gracious !

I came back a couple of months later and before the end of last year I bouhgt a HUD home in the outskirts of Jackson, ALTA WOODS BOULEVARD & TERRI ROAD has a lot of HUD homes that need to be restored and then this zip code ( 39204 ) will become like HOBOKEN and JERSEY CITY in N J where artists and University Scholars who work for JSU will love to call home.

I hope that I can get mom out of the nursing home I had to place her at when she got worst after my only daughter died of Terminal Cancer, I can NOT get that beautiful city out of my mind or my heart, I felt like crying when I had tohead back to NEW JERSEY.

NO NO NO NO NO ......................I am not originally from the SOPRANO STATE where people are very RUDE and cut you off on their streets, the water, the air the cost of livng and the nasy unfriendly behavior makes NJ a place I cannot wait to leave as soon as Jesus give the sign that someone would buy my house that is in the bet part of Bergen County but has the very high property taxes for a tiny house where anythhing that needs to be done in it needs approvalby committee, is sad to see somnay houses in NJ that seem OK are actually in foreclosure with no buyers because of the VERY HIGH PROPERTY TAXES and they will keep on climbing and getting even higher !

I am of CATALAN & FRENCH ancestry and no I would not go live in Europe, is even worst than here in N J now so JACKSON , MISSISSIPPI you are in my Soul and I love the people more than anything else there, my HUD house is waiitng for me there !

THE CITY WITH SOUL & ITS WARM & KIND PEOPLE !!!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
Welcome to Jackson. I wish you good luck, we need more law adibing tax payers to take up residence in that part of town.

Some advice for living in Jacson; buy a handgun, take shooting lessons and get a concealed carry permit. Also you may want to review Mississippi's Castle Doctrine law, it likely gives MS property owners more rights than NJ property owners.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:50 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
I often wonder, too, what the most affluent area in Mississippi is.

People say the poorest area of Mississippi is the Delta. Is the Gulf Coast the wealthiest? You'd think so, given the proximity to the beach, but then again, it's also the most hurricane prone.

I have only been to the Gulf Coast, I interned in Mississippi/Louisiana a couple summers ago. I'll have to say that Biloxi and Slidell, LA were the two of the most scenic towns I have been to so far in the U.S.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:10 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

People say the poorest area of Mississippi is the Delta. Is the Gulf Coast the wealthiest? You'd think so, given the proximity to the beach, but then again, it's also the most hurricane prone.

I have only been to the Gulf Coast, I interned in Mississippi/Louisiana a couple summers ago. I'll have to say that Biloxi and Slidell, LA were the two of the most scenic towns I have been to so far in the U.S.
The wealthiest areas in Mississippi is Madison, Rankin and Desoto counties. To be honest I think in about 5 Desoto county might be the wealthiest in Mississippi.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:15 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Jackson Suburbs, Memphis Suburbs, West side of Hattiesburg (Lamar Co), Oxford if you don't factor in the students. Maybe then the Gulf coast.

That would be my guess.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Jackson Suburbs, Memphis Suburbs, West side of Hattiesburg (Lamar Co), Oxford if you don't factor in the students. Maybe then the Gulf coast.

That would be my guess.
I think your guesses are pretty spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi