Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 AM

68 posts, read 239,272 times

Advertisements

We are still considering a move down to the Gulf Coast, most likely in the Gulfport, Biloxi or Ocean Springs area. Was needing to find out about activities for kids in the Kindergarten range..age 4-5. Are there good places for Gymnastics, Dance, Theater, Soccer, Brownies/Girl Scouts, Music in this area or nearly areas?
Thank you for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 24,505 times
I live in gulfport and know that there are plenty of options for gymnastics, dance, soccer (all manner of sports really). for music, I take my son to music together but its geared towards younger kids. not sure about theater options. there are also activities at places like the library, lynn meadows discovery center and ocean springs is known for art -- I'm pretty sure there are classes at the mary c. o'keefe cultural center and walter anderson museum.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 AM

27 posts, read 99,835 times
Do you live north of the 10? We've been looking at properties online but are so unsure about the insurance rates and safety of neighborhoods? Any suggestions?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM

68 posts, read 239,272 times
Beckyogini, Thanks for responding...we currently live in NJ and there are soooo many activities for kids that our daughter is just coming into at age 4...I know there is not the same amount of things down there, but just wanted to make sure the activities were down there.
We are still not 100% sure of the move, but it is looking more likely. Does anyone know any more specifics for activities? Also, if we came down there was wondering about day camps for the summer for 4 year olds? My daughter is in Pre-K now, and would be starting Kindergarten this year, but not sure if I would enroll her in Pre-K for only a couple of months. Are there any kind of summer camps down there?
Also was still wanting opinions on the best Elementary schools in the general area of Gulfport, Biloxi and Ocean Springs.
Thanks all!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Ball View Post
Do you live north of the 10? We've been looking at properties online but are so unsure about the insurance rates and safety of neighborhoods? Any suggestions?
Beach Ball - We live north of I10 in an area called Swan Lake. I have no concerns about safety here or other areas nearby. The nice thing about our subdivision is there is a park, walking trail, lake and pool. The HOA fees are low - only $250/yr.

The wind/hail insurance is high -- but nowhere near what it would be closer to the beach. Not sure where you're coming from or what you're used to.... while high, it wasn't so much that we couldn't afford it.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 AM

pooky, sorry I can't help out more with specifics. my son is just turning 2, I haven't really looked at much beyond the music class since I work full time and don't really have the time to get into much more at this point!

gulfport elementary schools - bayou view and anniston are the 2 best. ocean springs - magnolia park is the better one, I believe. not really sure about biloxi.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyogini View Post
Beach Ball - We live north of I10 in an area called Swan Lake. I have no concerns about safety here or other areas nearby. The nice thing about our subdivision is there is a park, walking trail, lake and pool. The HOA fees are low - only $250/yr.

The wind/hail insurance is high -- but nowhere near what it would be closer to the beach. Not sure where you're coming from or what you're used to.... while high, it wasn't so much that we couldn't afford it.
Thank you, I'll look into this area. I think where we are coming from the taxes and insurances are flipped. For instance, taxes on a home valued in the mid 150's is $3,000 per year while the insurance is $400. I was just wondering if the total of both equal. Swan Lake sounds nice.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Ball View Post
Thank you, I'll look into this area. I think where we are coming from the taxes and insurances are flipped. For instance, taxes on a home valued in the mid 150's is $3,000 per year while the insurance is $400. I was just wondering if the total of both equal. Swan Lake sounds nice.
our home was recently appraised at 270 - taxes w/homestead are 1300, while our insurance (homeowner and wind/hail combined) is about 4400.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM

pooky - I just happened to be on the Lynn Meadows site looking for other information and saw a link to summer camps that they have. Lynn Meadows Discovery Center hope this helps!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyogini View Post
our home was recently appraised at 270 - taxes w/homestead are 1300, while our insurance (homeowner and wind/hail combined) is about 4400.
Very helpful. It does seem that the total of both taxes and insurance are the same - just flipped - we pay the price in taxes and have the savings in insurance and the Gulf Coast is the opposite. Any subdivisions you are able to recommend are definitley worth looking at online. I will look at the one you mentioned as the hoa fees are ceertainly reasonable for the amenities offered. It's helpful to have someone from the area rate things positively since we are somewhat concerned with safety.

I really miss the South especially on these cold New England mornings. Although the first spring morning I awake with birds singing, I will be elated. There is an indescribable feeling that winter is finally on its way out. In the South, I loved the the streets lined with azaleas in full blossom. (I also liked flea markets and boiled peanuts just for fun).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi