Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times

Advertisements

There are alot of racist folks in mississippi thats why i live in boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 03:11 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Boston is a fine city. Here's a famous picture taken in Boston. It was taken during the busing crisis in Boston in the 70's. Yes, he is using the America flag as a weapon against the black man.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Boston had the largest population of slaves in Massachusetts, and openly sold slaves.

Slavery in Massachusetts

There is even an entry on the denial of slavery, and/or the treatment of slaves in the north.

Slavery Denial

Boston, and the entire region historically has been not only racist, but anti-catholicism, and anti-immigrant.

Remember the "No Irish need apply" signs of the 19th century? How about the disdain for Eastern Europeans and Italians in the early 20th century? Witch trials? Racial strife of the 70's?

According to a 2006 survey conducted by University of Massachusetts at Boston, 75 percent of black Massachusetts residents said that race relations in the state were only "fair to poor." Seventeen percent of respondents also said they had personally experienced racial discrimination from police within the last few months.

I could go on, but why bother.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
............I could go on, but why bother.
I'll go on for you, if you don't mind.

I was born in Boston, 1945. My sister was born in Boston, 1942.

My sister is half Chinese. It was illegal for my mother to marry my sister's father in Boston because my mother is not Chinese. Illegal, I am saying. Punishable by law. So they had to go to Rhode Island (which was founded, incidentally, by a religious group wanting to escape Massachusetts persecution) to get married. Then, they returned home to Boston to be persecuted.

Perhaps people from Boston should not be so quick to criticize. That old thing about glass houses, and all...........

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM

7 posts, read 12,375 times
Fells, do not judge people based upon what you had seen on television because we are not 101% sure that they are showing the real lifestyle of those people in Mississippi. And having a couple of interview from selected people does not prove anything, maybe they had shown a picture of Mississippi resident but it doesn't mean that they represent the entire population

Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDixon21 View Post
Fells, do not judge people based upon what you had seen on television because we are not 101% sure that they are showing the real lifestyle of those people in Mississippi. And having a couple of interview from selected people does not prove anything, maybe they had shown a picture of Mississippi resident but it doesn't mean that they represent the entire population
They aren't indicative of the entire population of Mississippi. They ARE indicative of a very small number of people in Mississippi. The problem is that Bill Mahr presented them as just the typical person you see just getting off the plane in Mississippi.

It's good for a laugh and ratings though. It's Mississippi, so people are going to believe what you tell them about it, as long as it's bad.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
What an interesting thread to come upon after a long evening reading numbers with money-amounts to an accountant. Odd thought perhaps, but as I was reading that long, long list, I thought, "I ought to than some Jackson, Mississippi, teachers for teaching me how to read such numbers lists clearly and concisely." I just happened to live there for 3.5 years, from 3rd grade, and had a teacher who took the time to teach this. Do you have a clue how many people can't read either numbers or money properly?

So I will thank that teacher here amidst all this silly squawk. Who in the world would take what a TV show says as Truth, when all they value is ratings, not honesty?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Who in the world would take what a TV show says as Truth...
You would be surprised.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 33,311 times
I saw that clip too. I am a Black woman. To be fair, those men represented SOME of Mississippi. By no means all...but a sizeable percentage nonetheless. Black people are 12.5 percent of the US's population, and most of us are not "ghetto-acting", but when newscasters choose to interview Blacks, they pick the black equivalent of the white men you saw in this video lol. The video was taken in vicksburg, ms...where I lived for 6 months. I stayed in Jackson, Mississippi for 6 years, and met people/made friends with people from all backgrounds, economics stations, professions, and races. But I WILL say...I met PLEN-TY people in Vicksburg and Oxford who acted and spoke just like those men. I was an intern, finishing my college degree, and was called quite a few

Moderator cut: racist words not allowed on c.d.

by parents who thought I wasn't qualified to teach their children, even though I'd held internships all over the country prior to this gig and received numerous academic accolades. There are some backwoods racists who think that the South will rise again. There are some who have accepted their loss and, though still feeling superior, aren't going to turn down your business or your assistance. Finally, you have those who are glad the "South" fell and are working to make Mississippi a great state. Living there, i learned that every liberal isn't tolerant, and every conservative isn't racist; every White isn't evil and every Black isn't benevolent. People are people...but Mississippi just has more of a share of toothless racists than other places...

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-18-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Boston is a fine city. Here's a famous picture taken in Boston. It was taken during the busing crisis in Boston in the 70's. Yes, he is using the America flag as a weapon against the black man.
This is one of those posts where people that have never been to MS post like they know all about it. It's epidemic. The poster's sum knowledge of the south probably resides from watching Dukes of Hazzard. Best just to ignore them....or you can ask him to explain this and a number of other threads on racism in Boston:

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ty-racist.html

The fact that the poster cannot manage to post more than a sentence probably means you won't get a response making much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi