Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:25 AM

15 posts, read 90,054 times

Advertisements

I am getting much closer to convincing my husband to relocate to Mississippi from South Florida. At first I was trying to decide between the Florence, Al area and the Tupelo area but now have settled on Tupelo due to job opportunities. I have family in the Tishomingo area and visit there yearly. I'm trying to narrow down areas that we might enjoy living and that have good school systems. I will be working in Tupelo and really don't want more than a 20 minute commute. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,910 times
Go with county schools- Saltillo area is great.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 54,434 times
I was bless with spending summers in dear old Tupelo where my mother was born and raised, last year I when to visit after about ten years, I was please of how well it has grown and yet still remains the same. Many city in the state has decline and the people seem not have progress but around Tupelo I can say I was glad for the trip back home. The people are warm and still speak to one another and passing, I eat well, at place where I might not as a kid. As for schools I know many teachers who teach in the district and have know them for years they too many when to school in Tupelo, which says a lot about them caring. Where every you sent your kids remember their receiving a southern education, which is much better then a northern one because teacher in the south would never take the behavior of some of kids in the north and a mothers still have respected for the profession and the Instruction of learning.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:52 PM

21 posts, read 243,709 times
Tupelo is probably one of the best places in MS to live. There's low crime, good schools, and a good job market.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:28 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbchlds View Post
Tupelo is probably one of the best places in MS to live. There's low crime, good schools, and a good job market.
And, in contrast to their sister city to the south (Columbus), they have a progressive city government which is committed to constant improvement instead of living in the past.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 12,249 times
Default Home for sale or rent

[mod] Please refrain from advertising. We will always delete them. thanks[/mod]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlslee View Post
I am getting much closer to convincing my husband to relocate to Mississippi from South Florida. At first I was trying to decide between the Florence, Al area and the Tupelo area but now have settled on Tupelo due to job opportunities. I have family in the Tishomingo area and visit there yearly. I'm trying to narrow down areas that we might enjoy living and that have good school systems. I will be working in Tupelo and really don't want more than a 20 minute commute. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-10-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 AM

24 posts, read 164,774 times
I think "progressive" is a bit of a stretch.... LOL

I am personally biased to Florence, AL. Prettier town. But if you have chosen MS, then Tupelo is the way to go. Economic and social advancements of late make it a great choice. This is a good time to move as it appears that an ecomonic boom is on the way with Nissan moving in. I agree with Saltillo schools being a solid choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
And, in contrast to their sister city to the south (Columbus), they have a progressive city government which is committed to constant improvement instead of living in the past.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagirl74 View Post
I think "progressive" is a bit of a stretch.... LOL

I am personally biased to Florence, AL. Prettier town.
"Progressive" is a relative term Of course, just about *anywhere* is more progressive than Columbus; it is SO bound up by tradition. Also, I have never, ever seen such a religious town (and I don't mean that in a good way). IMO, their religiousness has little to do with God and much to do with politics and power.

On a more positive note, I also like Florence, think it is a great town with great possibilities.

Last edited by jsherman9901; 02-11-2008 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 90,054 times
Default To "proud to be American"

Thank you for your direct message. Unfortunately I was not able to respond via a direct message to you so I hope you'll see my thanks here.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times
There are many areas around Tupelo that offer the quality of life you are seeking. Saltillo is a good alternative, as well as Pontotoc and New Albany. It is just according to what your lifestyle is like. Tupelo is the more progressive area of the three, yet, even New Albany is only a 15 to 20 minute drive to Tupelo.

Housing and lots are pretty expensive in Tupelo, Pontotoc is a bit cheaper and New Albany is even cheaper than they are, yet all offer nice sub-divisions and great life-styles. New Albany schools are not bad, and neither are Pontotoc schools. Most of the schools around here have a level 5 which is the best one can achieve here.

If you want to live outside the town, check out Birmingham Ridge area, there are many sub-divisions there and new ones being built. New Albany has a really nice sub-division going up just outside town (although it will more than likely soon be annexed into the city); it is very nice and built around a lake and will offer a lot of things such as a walking track, club house etc. I keep meaning to drive up and check it out, just to see how beautiful it is.

Good luck to you and welcome to Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi