Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:31 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I know far more than you do. You like most right wingers completely butcher the story of Sodom. It had nothing to do with gay people. Stop using the Bible to justify your bigotry. Your understanding of it is wrong.
I knew that lie was coming; it's typical liberal tactics. Fact is, Sodom and Gomorrah had many sins, including homosexuality -- and Sodom was overthrown by fire and brimstone just as Jesus said.

The account of Sodom and Gomorrah:

Genesis 19

[1] And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
[2] And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
[3] And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
[4] But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
[5] And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
[6] And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
[7] And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
[8] Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
[9] And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
[10] But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
[11] And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
[12] And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:
[13] For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 06:31 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
When a state passes laws like this it just speaks volumes about the politicians running things there. Is Mississippi trying to be the butt of jokes or are these people serious? If this wasn't so sad I wouldn't believe it. The people need to throw these Neanderthals out of government and make them get a real job..

Old 04-09-2016, 08:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,897,244 times
[quote=GrandviewGloria;43651318]Lordy! I just had to find a picture of the hapless lad. Apparently, he's the one in the red shorts, here in 'Social South', one of the local society glossies. They're at an affair called 'Seersucker & Sombreros'. Looks like River Hills Tennis Club, but I could be wrong. Stephen & Katie Bryant Snell, Dwight McDonough, Whitney Giordano & Patrick Bryant - Social South

Would like to get some better pics of Whitney!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,776,914 times
[quote=viverlibre;43660631]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Lordy! I just had to find a picture of the hapless lad. Apparently, he's the one in the red shorts, here in 'Social South', one of the local society glossies. They're at an affair called 'Seersucker & Sombreros'. Looks like River Hills Tennis Club, but I could be wrong. Stephen & Katie Bryant Snell, Dwight McDonough, Whitney Giordano & Patrick Bryant - Social South

Would like to get some better pics of Whitney!
Ask, and ye shall receive! (See, I can be Biblical, too! But I don't think I can improve on the 'Sodom & Gomorrah' post, above. That one was just simply amazing.) http://socialsouthmag.com/wp-content...mbreros-18.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...yy_400x400.jpg

And I know you'll like this one, of Whitney in one of her boutiques: http://inspirems.co/uploads/3/3/5/7/...41145_orig.jpg

Kudos to Whitney for having her eyebrows keyed to the deeper tones in her hair color, and for knowing that a translucent sombrero gives you marvelous protection from unflattering downlighting, while still providing a nice ambient glow for the face.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 04-09-2016 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:11 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Why not live and let live? As long as you're not hurting anybody or getting in anybody's personal space. And remember the Golden Rule. Both are such simple phioisophys as a way to live and get along so much better in this world.

Why are some people so mean spirited they wanna make somebody else's life so un-necessarily difficult when life is already difficult enough to begin with, without somebody else intentionally trying to make life more difficult and just generally more unpleasant?

I hope the good and decent people of Mississippi will boycott businesses who refuse service to gay people based on their religious beliefs. These people call their selves "Christians" but how can that be? I'm pretty sure Jesus would never deny service to gay people. Jesus would never have been that wicked.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:49 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,428,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You know absolutely nothing about Jesus.

Luke 17

[28] Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
[29] But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
[30] Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man [Jesus] is revealed.
Luke 17
[26] Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man.
[27] People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

I'm sure you will be all frothing to point out that the pre-flood people were just as wicked (i.e. homosexual), but I think think Jesus was trying to make the point that his return will happen without warning or preparation:

[22] Then he said to his disciples, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it.
[23] People will tell you, ‘There he is!’ or ‘Here he is!’ Do not go running off after them.
[24] For the Son of Man in his day will be like the lightning, which flashes and lights up the sky from one end to the other.
[25] But first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.

He used fables of massive social change that his audience knew about and could relate to. And in all the gospels, three sentences is the closest thing you can find to justify your hate?

Matthew 19
[16] Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
[17] “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
[18] “Which ones?” he inquired', Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,
[19] honor your father and mother,’[a] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”
[20] “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
[21] Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
[22] When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

I look forward to seeing all your stuff on Craigslist. Or on C-D's classified.

Is better to know nothing about Jesus or just the parts that make you feel better about yourself?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:09 AM

The above post by Brucifer (is that of Lucifer?) is just typical nonsense to deceive the unlearned. People know full well that homosexual behavior is wrong. Some years after God destroyed Sodom, which Jesus referenced, He made it clear about homosexual behavior to Moses.

Leviticus 18

[22] Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
[23] Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
[24] Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
[25] And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.
[26] Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
[27] (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled; )
[28] That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
[29] For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.
[30] Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The above post by Brucifer (is that of Lucifer?) is just typical nonsense to deceive the unlearned. People know full well that homosexual behavior is wrong. Some years after God destroyed Sodom, which Jesus referenced, He made it clear about homosexual behavior to Moses.

Leviticus 18

[22] Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
[23] Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
[24] Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
[25] And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.
[26] Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
[27] (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled; )
[28] That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
[29] For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.
[30] Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.
And do you follow all 600+ laws of the OT?

Just try to take bacon, catfish, and shellfish from southerners, yet all of those are also prohibited in Leviticus.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:28 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Just try to take bacon, catfish, and shellfish from southerners, yet all of those are also prohibited in Leviticus.
You make an excellent point there, jjrose. These religionists, they like to pick and choose Bible verses that fits their political agenda and justifys their ridiculous and narrow minded beliefs while ignoring other Bible verses that doesn't fit their political agenda or justify their ridiculous and narrow minded beliefs.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Diversions and nonsense. God firmly condemned homosexuality along with incest and bestiality. To your other point, the OT did indeed prohibit certain animals. Why? I don't know, but perhaps they were inherently unclean at that time; or, perhaps for other reasons. Nonetheless, God cleansed all animals in the New Testament.

Act 10

[9] On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
[10] And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
[11] And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
[12] Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
[13] And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
[14] But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
[15] And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
[16] This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi