Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:44 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I think Desoto County may like to build a wall on Stateline Rd and make Memphis pay for it. Memphis has a definite crime problem, however, chances are if you don't go to certain areas you will be fine.
Make Horn Lake Great Again!

But in all seriousness, yeah I see your point.

That area around Graceland is just sad, it's a slum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Make Horn Lake Great Again!

But in all seriousness, yeah I see your point.

That area around Graceland is just sad, it's a slum.

The area of Memphis that you are talking about (Whitehaven) around Graceland is actually nowhere close to the worst part of Memphis.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
The area of Memphis that you are talking about (Whitehaven) around Graceland is actually nowhere close to the worst part of Memphis.
Yep. IMO, the worst of part of Memphis is anywhere along 61 in that city south of Downtown. Frayser is a close second. 78 is bad because of the all the traffic caused by the trucks, and while it does go through some bad neighborhoods of Memphis, the neighborhoods 61 goes through before you hit Downtown are much worse.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:35 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
I think Desoto County may like to build a wall on Stateline Rd and make Memphis pay for it. Memphis has a definite crime problem, however, chances are if you don't go to certain areas you will be fine.
My wife's cousin was an officer in Southaven during the 90's and it was no better back then. He and his buddies would patrol near Stateline just to get the chance to chase a perp back into Memphis. They all thought that when they cross the line into TN that they were home free. Turns out that all Desoto county departments have an agreement with Memphis and Shelby county to continue the pursuit.

As far as Senatobia goes, I only go down there to visit the eye doctor for annual exams.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
My wife's cousin was an officer in Southaven during the 90's and it was no better back then. He and his buddies would patrol near Stateline just to get the chance to chase a perp back into Memphis. They all thought that when they cross the line into TN that they were home free. Turns out that all Desoto county departments have an agreement with Memphis and Shelby county to continue the pursuit.

As far as Senatobia goes, I only go down there to visit the eye doctor for annual exams.
I considered it a bit of a nice town.

When I had first visited MS I considered towns further downstate like Eupora, Carthage, Louisville, Ackerman, even Houston. But I never got the time to see them, Senatobia was small, but it was close enough to and just far enough away from the urban life.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:43 AM

Do any problems from the Delta spill over into Tate County?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:53 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Do any problems from the Delta spill over into Tate County?
I would say no. The delta is a large, sparsely populated section of the state. It isn't like Memphis, which is 700k people separated from Desoto county by a line. The nearest population area in the delta to Senatobia would be Tunica/Robinsonville, which is 30-45 minutes away, and much smaller than Memphis. There are small towns nearby, but crime is not as prevalent in those towns as it is in Memphis.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:12 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
I would say no. The delta is a large, sparsely populated section of the state. It isn't like Memphis, which is 700k people separated from Desoto county by a line. The nearest population area in the delta to Senatobia would be Tunica/Robinsonville, which is 30-45 minutes away, and much smaller than Memphis. There are small towns nearby, but crime is not as prevalent in those towns as it is in Memphis.
I get custom audio gear from a guy with a shop in Sarah which is half-way between Tunica and Robinsonville.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I get custom audio gear from a guy with a shop in Sarah which is half-way between Tunica and Robinsonville.
How are some of those smaller towns on the drive up to Memphis (I mean those just west of I-55).

Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
There is Hernando, which used to be a small town with a charming town square etc, but now is transitioning into a pretty nice Memphis suburb.

The mayor there has made a point to enact city planning designed to maintain the community's charm while also accommodating the growth. It has slowed down some since the housing crash in 2008 which might be a good thing.

The new interstate loop around Memphis is opening next year I believe (I-69) cutting through all of DeSoto County and then turning north towards Memphis' eastern outer suburbs. I believe this new interstate will be at some point become a major area for development akin to suburban Atlanta. Of course being Memphis, it will be occur at a more relaxed pace over the next few decades.

On the whole I see this region's future as bright. DeSoto County has a very large middle class and the area is starting to get increasingly nicer development, such as the new Fresh Market under construction and the new outlet mall which actually has some good stores (e.g. Nike, J Crew). The one thing I don't like about the area is the cookie-cutter housing, although at least the yards tend to be large (an acre and up in many cases) as suburbia goes.

Of course Senatobia although just 15 minutes south, is definitely a small town and not a suburb. To me the town doesn't blow you away with its looks etc, but on the other hand it does have some actual character. The small downtown Main street area appears to be full with stores and the historic district is a little bigger than I had realized. They also have quite a large number of new houses mostly south of town, as well as a country club and residential area with large houses east of I-55 just south of town. And there's the community college. Also they have a quite nice looking private school there k-12, which clearly has some money just reflected in the new buildings there. So somehow it adds up to a fairly livable place which has really been enhanced I think by the bevy of shopping and employment opportunities that have opened up in fast-growing DeSoto County just minutes up the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi