Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:33 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

From strictly a visual standpoint and nothing else, I think the flag is lovely and very nice to look at. Regardless of any historical point, it's a beautiful flag and already one of the best state flags. It would look inviting on the landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 12:07 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Why would they stop that? They have them all the time.
Good, just checking.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
I totally recognize that toppling statues and changing flags and such can be a slippery slope, I know all about Venezuelan history for instance, but I do not think we should have Confederate symbols prominently displayed. They absolutely belong in museums, so that history is not forgotten. I also know that many want to totally erase history, and THAT is certainly dangerous. Those people are fueled by unbridled hate, and nothing can dissuade them.
You don't think museums won't be targeted?

The United Daughters of the Confederacy headquarters in Richmond, Virginia was targeted by rioters in May/June 2020. Now, in that museum were several flags used by Stonewall Jackson, a few different regimental flags used by the Stonewall Brigade, and Jackson's burial flag. As well as a very large, untranscribed genealogy library.

Rioters threw molotovs into the building, destroying the flag of the 31st Virginia Infantry, Stonewall Jackson's casket flag, and the entire genealogy library.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You don't think museums won't be targeted?

The United Daughters of the Confederacy headquarters in Richmond, Virginia was targeted by rioters in May/June 2020. Now, in that museum were several flags used by Stonewall Jackson, a few different regimental flags used by the Stonewall Brigade, and Jackson's burial flag. As well as a very large, untranscribed genealogy library.

Rioters threw molotovs into the building, destroying the flag of the 31st Virginia Infantry, Stonewall Jackson's casket flag, and the entire genealogy library.
Sure they will, but they will not have the backing of the local municipal governments, most times. Rioters are criminals and there's not a whole lot anyone can do about a rioter's willingness to commit a crime. They need to be arrested, prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I understand I'm speaking in ideals, and the reality likely will play out in a different manner. We have to squash rioters, that's part of law and order. I mean we don't allow assault and vandalism in our day to day life, you can't give them a pass and call it a protest.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Sure they will, but they will not have the backing of the local municipal governments, most times. Rioters are criminals and there's not a whole lot anyone can do about a rioter's willingness to commit a crime. They need to be arrested, prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I understand I'm speaking in ideals, and the reality likely will play out in a different manner. We have to squash rioters, that's part of law and order. I mean we don't allow assault and vandalism in our day to day life, you can't give them a pass and call it a protest.
That's the kicker here.

Nobody has been or ever was arrested for that. Look at Richmond, VA today. The disgusting urban blight on what was once Monument Avenue is called "progress".

In case nobody has noticed, municipal governments, namely places like Richmond and Minneapolis are backing up the rioters. Anarcho-Tyranny has metastasized in this country.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:55 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
That's the kicker here.

Nobody has been or ever was arrested for that. Look at Richmond, VA today. The disgusting urban blight on what was once Monument Avenue is called "progress".

In case nobody has noticed, municipal governments, namely places like Richmond and Minneapolis are backing up the rioters. Anarcho-Tyranny has metastasized in this country.
I agree with you on all points.

My point is that there are people that get away with all sorts of crimes. I don't like it, and I want them all punished, but the reality is that it happens. People will continue to commit crimes (well, unless we get MUCH stronger with police presence and punishment, which is another conversation for another day).

Old 02-12-2021, 07:26 PM

55 posts, read 136,781 times
Yes, I like it.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think we had a recent thread on it. We had to vote it in but I think the general consensus was "who cares". I mean it's not bad but just get the topic over with, more important things to think about.
I think more out of state people worry about the flag then in-state.
I would be willing to bet most African American Mississippians, say over 90%, did not like the previous flag. Are you able to view the flag through the lense of an African American and see how they may feel about it?

Old 05-08-2021, 06:28 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I would be willing to bet most African American Mississippians, say over 90%, did not like the previous flag. Are you able to view the flag through the lense of an African American and see how they may feel about it?
Well one thing is for sure, you proved my point about "out of state people".
How's Indiana?

Old 05-08-2021, 11:12 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well one thing is for sure, you proved my point about "out of state people".
How's Indiana?
I lived in Mississppi for over 4 years. I know the state, and it doesn't have much to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi