Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 03:17 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hey, I didn't mean to jump down your throat. Sometimes the short duration of the "editing window" has bitten me on the bum as well!
I know you didn't mean to. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 05:10 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I'm hoping you meant Cleveland.

While we're talking MS college towns, don't hate on Hattiesburg. It's a very decent place, and has good suburbs (more like outer towns).

Yeah I was about to say. What she said is true, about people selling their houses for a nice profit, but I don't remember land every being cheap there, at least in my lifetime. And the funny thing is, for them to be selling their houses for a profit, there is obviously still a demand for the houses. So is there really a population loss? Or is there some bubble forming? I'm guessing the latter, and the crash is going to be different and weirder than the one in 2008.
No, California's population is still increasing.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:21 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
No, California's population is still increasing.
I'm sure that's true - and probably could be demonstrated by counting the people.
But California ranks among the lowest in Fertility Rate (That's the average # of children born to each woman) at about 1.6.
That means with immigration California would shrink. But most states would. In fact, the whole US would shrink very soon without immigration. The population only holds up now because of the huge number of Boomers who have not yet died - but don't worry, we will. When Boomers die off in large numbers the population would decrease very rapidly without immigration.

I will leave it up to Californians to offer an explanation as to how California manages to grow without babies being born and where all those immigrants are coming from.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:40 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Redding is the walnut capital?
I’ve never heard it referred to that. However, walnuts rank amongst the largest ag commodities in that part of California after cattle and hay. What are some of Mississippi’s top agricultural products nowadays?

Old 04-30-2022, 10:39 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I’ve never heard it referred to that. However, walnuts rank amongst the largest ag commodities in that part of California after cattle and hay. What are some of Mississippi’s top agricultural products nowadays?
Poultry, lumber, soybeans, corn, rice, and cotton.
King Cotton’s successor is King Chicken.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:19 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
I drove up the California coast and going north from San Luis Obispo passed big areas of farmland growing avocados, which is big business in that area. Apparently they grow other things like grapes, strawberries, broccoli, and many others. That was fun to see that California still does real work like that.

And what a beautiful area, I can see why so many people migrated out there. On the other hand, I visited L.A. and the traffic was truly unbearable. I don't know how anyone can stand living in that, but I guess most places have their trade-offs. If you could afford to pick one beautiful place to live and just stay in that one spot and keep your driving to after midnight, it could be amazing.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:38 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I drove up the California coast and going north from San Luis Obispo passed big areas of farmland growing avocados, which is big business in that area. Apparently they grow other things like grapes, strawberries, broccoli, and many others. That was fun to see that California still does real work like that.

And what a beautiful area, I can see why so many people migrated out there. On the other hand, I visited L.A. and the traffic was truly unbearable. I don't know how anyone can stand living in that, but I guess most places have their trade-offs. If you could afford to pick one beautiful place to live and just stay in that one spot and keep your driving to after midnight, it could be amazing.
Spent a few weeks in San Luis Obispo in the early 2000s, what an awesome place. The drive from there to San Fran is spectacular. When people say, "I'd never live in California," they haven't been there.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:32 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Spent a few weeks in San Luis Obispo in the early 2000s, what an awesome place. The drive from there to San Fran is spectacular. When people say, "I'd never live in California," they haven't been there.
It’s just that you have to be a lot wealthier than the average Mississippian to live in the best parts of California.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:50 AM

26 posts, read 22,987 times
.We're looking around coastal MS and around Mobile...and NO, we're not northerners or from CA
We would never live anywhere in CA for all the tea in China. We currently own props in north AL, south AL, and FL - we're native southerners and don't wish to live around some of these people!

Old 05-22-2022, 12:12 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying914 View Post
.We're looking around coastal MS and around Mobile...and NO, we're not northerners or from CA
We would never live anywhere in CA for all the tea in China. We currently own props in north AL, south AL, and FL - we're native southerners and don't wish to live around some of these people!
Coastal Mississippi is very nice, especially Ocean Springs, where i lived for three years. One word of caution, price insurance before you buy anything. Home owners insurance is very expensive South of I-20. I moved there in 2005, three months before Katrina. Insurance was about $700 including flood insurance. Three years after Katrina, 2008, my insurance was $2500 and it has gone even higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi