Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 03:33 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Many of the "blue collar" or "Reagan" Democrats have been left behind by their party because of how far insane it has become.

I try to honestly have this conversation with people who are willing to be objective to see how far things have shifted leftward. Honestly compare the actual positions of Trump. Review them, not the biased crap you read on CNN or MSNBC but actually look at his policies. Then keep in mind he's been branded as "literally Hitler". Do the exact same exercise for Bill Clinton who was a generally beloved president by many in the Democrat party. Compare their actual positions. Prepare to be shocked.

Trumps actual platform is essentially the same as Bill Clinton's positions.

There is real political migration occurring. Red states are getting redder and blue states getting bluer. I live in way upstate New York and I know so many people totally fed up with how insane the states politics have become they are moving. Most of my family has already resettled in SC. I'm doing my research as well. The people leaving NY, CA etc and going to non traditional places are not going there to change things they're going there because they like the way it's done.

If the Republican party dies off it's because the voters no longer have confidence in it and view it as a uniparty with the Democrats at which time Republicans will simply no longer participate in the system or will establish a new party.
I agree with much of this comment. The whole Californians moving to the south and ruining it trope is not just politics. They change the culture, they make housing more expensive, and they push out the people who lived there first and may suddenly not be able to afford the neighborhood they have always lived in. Obviously there isn’t much you can do about this but when people complain about out of states people moving in it doesn’t necessarily matter if they are voting the “right way” or not. Also even if they vote the “right way” they might still not really fit in with the fabric of society down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 05:30 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I agree with much of this comment. The whole Californians moving to the south and ruining it trope is not just politics. They change the culture, they make housing more expensive, and they push out the people who lived there first and may suddenly not be able to afford the neighborhood they have always lived in. Obviously there isn’t much you can do about this but when people complain about out of states people moving in it doesn’t necessarily matter if they are voting the “right way” or not. Also even if they vote the “right way” they might still not really fit in with the fabric of society down here.
Good points

Unfortunately the cost of housing EVERYWHERE has gone up considerably.

I've been keeping tabs on Tennessee and houses in 2019 that would have sold for 150-175 are now 300+.

Also same phenomenon in the town I currently live in home prices have essentially gone up 50%.

You can chalk it up to any number of factors and start with inflation. The cost of housing is going up in similar percentage to the cost of groceries, cars, goods etc.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:47 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Good points

Unfortunately the cost of housing EVERYWHERE has gone up considerably.

I've been keeping tabs on Tennessee and houses in 2019 that would have sold for 150-175 are now 300+.

Also same phenomenon in the town I currently live in home prices have essentially gone up 50%.

You can chalk it up to any number of factors and start with inflation. The cost of housing is going up in similar percentage to the cost of groceries, cars, goods etc.
People fleeing their states will always move pricing up, even if it would have happened regardless. It just makes it worse. But yes, even if it wasn’t happening, sadly, inflation ruins everything….

I think with these high interest rates the housing prices will fall and keep falling but nobody is gonna wanna buy. We will see how this affects things.

If things get “really bad” Mississippi could be one of the better places to be when the chaos begins.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:25 AM

2,648 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
It is political satire. Real-world topics and politicians are disclosed, lambasted, and made fun of through humor, and exaggerated. The guy in the video is pretending. He is exaggerating the existing state of affairs in California. Please feel free to fact-check his claims.

As far as I know political satire has not been criminalized. Bear in mind that in many countries political satire is a punishable offense. Political satire in totalitarian regimes is banned. The penalty for satirists includes, but is not limited to exile, fines, incarceration, and even death.

This link will shed an important light on the history and value of satire. "Political satire is usually distinguished from political protest or political dissent, as it does not necessarily carry an agenda nor seek to influence the political process. While occasionally it may, it more commonly aims simply to entertain....it tends to simply establish the error of matters rather than provide solutions." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_satire
The poster claimed it was not an exaggeration. Nobody said anything about satire being criminalized.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:07 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The thing I always hear people say when trying to defend that is "they got property values higher" yet fail to realize that their cost of living, especially property tax after appraisal, went up.

Californians moving elsewhere isn't a bad thing. Just remember they left that state for a reason so why would they want to turn the new place into another California and ruin the new place? Stuff like that is reason why there should be voting moratoriums for 4-5 years after someone has moved to a new place.
I lived in Las Vegas for 22 years. Las Vegas, underneath all that neon and glitter, is a very conservative city, Mormon influenced. 1 out of 3 Las Vegans have roots in CA and the Californians moving there have only made Las Vegas even more conservative.

The Californians moving out are the conservative types, so beware!

Old 02-18-2024, 08:12 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I lived in Las Vegas for 22 years. Las Vegas, underneath all that neon and glitter, is a very conservative city, Mormon influenced. 1 out of 3 Las Vegans have roots in CA and the Californians moving there have only made Las Vegas even more conservative.

The Californians moving out are the conservative types, so beware!
Las Vegas is still a Democratic bastion.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:44 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Las Vegas is still a Democratic bastion.
Thanks for the laugh! I lived there for 22 years and I only met up with one true blue Democrat, Tick Segerblom, all the rest are DINO'S, Democrats in Name Only. Would you like a laughable example of the hypocrisy in Sinless City?

Medical marijuana was approved in NV in the year 2000, and it Only took 15 years to open the first dispensary and when it was declared there'd be 40 medical marijuana dispensaries in Las Vegas, our flamboyant Mayor Goodman said: There'll be NO medical marijuana dispensaries in the city of Las Vegas. Henderson and Boulder City, 2 more conservative cities also said: No dispensaries here!

But they didn't read the fine print: If there's no dispensary within 20 miles of someone's house, they could grow 7 marijuana plants in their houses.

That did it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi