Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 10:48 AM

26 posts, read 22,987 times

Advertisements

yeah, insurance is a problem just about everywhere , even for the expensive hills in CA or beach prop in Ft Lauderdale and Jupiter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 01:11 PM

57 posts, read 169,005 times
We want to leave our opinion on this matter, as there in our opinion is a very good reason for the reputation Californians in other states have gotten and MS should feel happy for not having the job sector that attracts ”them”, though MS has the housing market that would enable them to get their McMansion they are moving away to get. We have lived in CA and yes there are a lot of nice and friendly people with heart and soul intact, but there are also a great portion of soulless people that are caught up in aimless materialism. We have also been living in south Denver, CO and Raleigh, NC that both have had crazy influx from CA but also from NY etc. We ended up moving away from both the CO and the NC areas as we felt it was completely destroyed. It was easy to observe the license plates of the cars driving through the neighborhood with excessive speed or rude and impatient behavior as well as the cars that drove lawns up. In Raleigh we had 2 deer being mowed down in our neighborhood by CA license plate cars! It was also easy to observe the license plates of cars with rude, entitled and reckless behavior in traffic and notice that many if not most had a CA license plate. We could go on, but will not:-)

Old 03-27-2023, 07:40 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
It’s been decades since land was cheap in California. Many of the people moving out of state are likely descendants of people who moved there in the post-WWII economic boom.
If you got onto the property ladder 20-30 years back, you can often have done well with California real estate. A lot of the $250K homes in ‘transitional’ parts of LA in the late 90s and very early 00s are now in gentrified neighborhoods and can be sold for a million or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I drove up the California coast and going north from San Luis Obispo passed big areas of farmland growing avocados, which is big business in that area. Apparently they grow other things like grapes, strawberries, broccoli, and many others. That was fun to see that California still does real work like that.
A huge amount of America’s winter produce comes from California’s Central Valley and the Imperial Valley along the border of California and Arizona. Drive around Fresno and the like and it’s a realization of just how much everyone should be concerned when California goes into extreme drought conditions.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:07 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you got onto the property ladder 20-30 years back, you can often have done well with California real estate. A lot of the $250K homes in ‘transitional’ parts of LA in the late 90s and very early 00s are now in gentrified neighborhoods and can be sold for a million or more.
Yep, this is what so many don't understand about real estate. Many of the ones who are selling for big money, didn't buy a house in 2013. More like 1993, or before.

The people who moved to Dallas/Nashville/Atlanta/Phoenix/etc (name any COVID boom area) 10 years ago will be the ones benefitting 20 years from now. Not the ones buying now for stupid COVID prices. And many of these are California people who sold for big money, then paid big money again in Tennessee/Texas.

The key is trying to root yourself somewhere that will pay off for you in the long term. Many people can't see that. But it's so hard to predict where that will be. Seems like it would be smaller, more affordable cities on the 2 hour perimeter of the big boom towns.

COVID exposed a lot of trends that were happening, even if people didn't want to 'let go' of the way things were. Office working, public schools, mandatory suburban living are just a few. There has been a correction back to the way things were, because people still love to follow the leader, but long term, we're going to head back to the way things were trending directly after COVID (2021 era). Fast internet has enabled this.

Soooo, why not Mississippi? We're not on the 2-hour perimeter of a boom town, I realize that. But maybe people that like country living, and still be reasonably close to a city would like it.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:26 AM

30,250 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPL View Post
We want to leave our opinion on this matter, as there in our opinion is a very good reason for the reputation Californians in other states have gotten and MS should feel happy for not having the job sector that attracts ”them”, though MS has the housing market that would enable them to get their McMansion they are moving away to get. We have lived in CA and yes there are a lot of nice and friendly people with heart and soul intact, but there are also a great portion of soulless people that are caught up in aimless materialism. We have also been living in south Denver, CO and Raleigh, NC that both have had crazy influx from CA but also from NY etc. We ended up moving away from both the CO and the NC areas as we felt it was completely destroyed. It was easy to observe the license plates of the cars driving through the neighborhood with excessive speed or rude and impatient behavior as well as the cars that drove lawns up. In Raleigh we had 2 deer being mowed down in our neighborhood by CA license plate cars! It was also easy to observe the license plates of cars with rude, entitled and reckless behavior in traffic and notice that many if not most had a CA license plate. We could go on, but will not:-)
100% agree. And it's why I'm leaving NC in 2 months.

I did move from CA in 2020. I came here to get away from CA and the CA type. I respected the nature here. I paid attention to how NC people acted, and tried not to stick out by doing things differently. I even found myself saying things like, "Yes, ma'am", and "No, sir" in a short amount of time, because I heard it a lot. Never heard anyone say those things on the west coast, but tried to "do as the Romans do" when I got here. I didn't come with a massive amount of $ like these new ones are. I didn't demand change. I didn't demand destruction to suit me. I didn't even take anyone's job. I worked for, and still work for, myself.

NC had its own share of aggressive drivers when I got here. The left lane of the freeway would be wide open, but they would still ride your tail pipes, as if they had no clue that the left lane is for...passing! I went the speed limit, exactly, on surface roads when I got here. Again, right up the tail pipes.

Then, everyone got locked down, and man did I enjoy that. I was considered 'essential', and got to enjoy driving around and discovering new areas, as I drove all over the Raleigh area, out to Chapel Hill to the west, Zebulon to the east, Farquay Varina to the south, and Wake Forest to the north.

And then?

People from CA, NY, and NJ came crashing in by the boatloads.

Now? They have ripped up huge swaths of forest for their behemoth homes that they just had to have 'in the forest' that they had to rip up in order to...be in the forest? And, once enough of them got there, they tore up even more forest because now they insisted that they needed more roads to get to their homes...in the forest?

Prices shot up to CA prices in a year and a half. Then, they got higher. Rents have gone up over 50% in just 2 years because of the influx of all of these people with their CA, NY, and NJ money.

And if that wasn't enough, someone complained about certain roads being 45mph, which kept traffic flowing, and the city changed them to 35mph, which means you get stuck at every red light, the traffic gets clogged, and because even more people are texting on their phones, only about 3 cars make it through those lights before they turn red again.

BUT, they will go 45mph in a parking lot! There's that!

I'm out. When I first got here, I thought this state was beautiful. So much forest and wildlife to enjoy. Now, the wildlife gets slaughtered. I understand that sometimes that happens, but since they destroyed so much forest, the deer have nowhere to go, and are getting hit by drivers who are apparently not used to the idea that hey, guess what, deer try to cross roads, especially at dusk.

And the geese...now that the surface roads in some areas are 35mph, there is no excuse to plow into those geese and kill them. That is happening more and more lately, whereas prior, people would stop and wait for the geese to get across.

I can't wait to leave. I'm going to a state I've lived in, in the past, where they don't destroy everything, and the people are genuinely nice, overall.

NC still isn't as rude as some places I've lived, but they are working hard on matching it.

The original poster should be thanking everything he or she can that CA did not choose to invade their state. My first thought after reading the original post was actually written by another just a post or 2 later: 'Be careful what you wish for'.

Old 03-31-2023, 07:32 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
One key thing that people just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that a huge state like California isn't homogenous. There is no such thing as a "typical Californian".

Think of how different the different parts of Mississippi are, both geographically and culturally... the Delta, the coast, the red pine forests, the Appalachian foothills, etc. Cajuns, Appalachians, rednecks, city folk, farmers, etc. California is much more diverse. Just like the rest of the country, the rural areas are dominated by conservatives and the cities by liberals. Except in CA, the cities are so huge their voting population dominates the entire state.

Several years ago I inspected a transmission line that started in the mountains, went through the foothills, and ended in the Central Valley. The differences in geography and local attitudes were stunning. The rural areas are incredibly conservative/libertarian. We had to pass several gun ranges, and documented several structures with gunshot damage.

Someone mentioned the agriculture a while back, and it's far more varied than most people know. That inspection project had me going through fields of various vegetables and citrus, walnuts, almonds, plums, apricots, grapes, olives, pomegranates... name a fruit or vegetable and some commercial farmer in California is growing it.

The point of this post is to mention that a "Californian" moving to Mississippi may not be the person you think they are. They could be an extreme conservative trying to get away from the extreme liberal laws. OR, they could be an extreme liberal trying to get away from the crime in the cities who wants to bring California with them. It could go either way.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:33 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
One key thing that people just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that a huge state like California isn't homogenous. There is no such thing as a "typical Californian".

Think of how different the different parts of Mississippi are, both geographically and culturally... the Delta, the coast, the red pine forests, the Appalachian foothills, etc. Cajuns, Appalachians, rednecks, city folk, farmers, etc. California is much more diverse. Just like the rest of the country, the rural areas are dominated by conservatives and the cities by liberals. Except in CA, the cities are so huge their voting population dominates the entire state.

Several years ago I inspected a transmission line that started in the mountains, went through the foothills, and ended in the Central Valley. The differences in geography and local attitudes were stunning. The rural areas are incredibly conservative/libertarian. We had to pass several gun ranges, and documented several structures with gunshot damage.

Someone mentioned the agriculture a while back, and it's far more varied than most people know. That inspection project had me going through fields of various vegetables and citrus, walnuts, almonds, plums, apricots, grapes, olives, pomegranates... name a fruit or vegetable and some commercial farmer in California is growing it.

The point of this post is to mention that a "Californian" moving to Mississippi may not be the person you think they are. They could be an extreme conservative trying to get away from the extreme liberal laws. OR, they could be an extreme liberal trying to get away from the crime in the cities who wants to bring California with them. It could go either way.
Everything above is true. The people are as varied as the landscape. According to July 2022 Census Bureau estimates, the population in California is said to be 39.24 million. Give or take. There are around 210 languages spoken. It would take several lifetimes to see and fully appreciate all the layers of history that have evolved by human design and geological events.

For those who are planning a visit to California make it a point to visit the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum in Los Angeles. Be sure to bring your children! My father used to take me there on weekends and I still make the trek up to the city whenever possible. It is so much more child friendly than when I was a kid. https://tarpits.org Good website. And the tar, in fact, really does bubble up as shown in the video!

My hope is that anyone who moves from California to Mississippi is polite, kind, and courteous. A genuine passion for it's beautiful landscape and history would also be a plus. And ask questions! Listen! It's fun.

Last edited by Seadory; 04-01-2023 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-02-2023, 07:09 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
Yes. Be very careful. Californians have been known to bring their political, and economic ideologies along with them. This video is NOT an exaggeration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCaYaG-ZRM
This is an extremely biased video.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:43 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
For those who are planning a visit to California make it a point to visit the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum in Los Angeles. Be sure to bring your children! My father used to take me there on weekends and I still make the trek up to the city whenever possible. It is so much more child friendly than when I was a kid. https://tarpits.org Good website. And the tar, in fact, really does bubble up as shown in the video!
I used to travel to the LA area several times a year, and the tar pits was always on my list of things to see, but I never managed to get there. The closest I came was one day I found myself with a free afternoon. I choose to go hiking in Griffith Park instead because a hobby at the time was Geocaching.

What's stunning is that such an odd geographic feature is right in the middle of the second largest metro area in the USA. It's the surface leakage of an underground oil (asphalt) reserve, and is an indicator of the reason why California was once the largest oil-producing state in the US. It's currently 7th, regardless of current political rhetoric.

Mississippi is much farther down the list of oil producers, but we do produce more than all other southeastern states except Texas and Louisiana.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:05 AM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
This is an extremely biased video.
It is political satire. Real-world topics and politicians are disclosed, lambasted, and made fun of through humor, and exaggerated. The guy in the video is pretending. He is exaggerating the existing state of affairs in California. Please feel free to fact-check his claims.

As far as I know political satire has not been criminalized. Bear in mind that in many countries political satire is a punishable offense. Political satire in totalitarian regimes is banned. The penalty for satirists includes, but is not limited to exile, fines, incarceration, and even death.

This link will shed an important light on the history and value of satire. "Political satire is usually distinguished from political protest or political dissent, as it does not necessarily carry an agenda nor seek to influence the political process. While occasionally it may, it more commonly aims simply to entertain....it tends to simply establish the error of matters rather than provide solutions." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_satire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi