Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:42 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times

Advertisements

Actually, Mississippi did not give any more to Toyota than they did for Nissan. You might think it is a huge amount of money but consider the fact that most of the furniture mfg. jobs are being shipped overseas and that leaves a heck of a lot of people out of work. A lot of these incentives are not up front money, and can be spread over a number of years. People without work would have to go on welfare around here and a lot would file for bankrupcy without some type of large company coming in. From West Point up, there have been a lot of jobs lost, with more to follow. This means the economy for North Mississippi as a whole will suffer as people cannot afford to go to the mall, out to eat, to movies, or keep a roof over their head, buy groceries, go to the doctor, buy medicine or go to dentists, eye doctors; they can't afford gas for their cars, or cars themselves.

By spending this money, Mississippi will reap the benefits of created jobs, an economy that will remain somewhat stable and citizens who will not move out of state to seek employment.

Hopefully, our children will have a secure job when they get older and many more people will stay instead of leave. THis is an investment into our future and if it had not been done we could be facing an economic death.

Sure our taxes will go up, and we will feel the burden in communities expanding like crazy, but that in itself creates jobs for construction workers. The taxes will be spent on infrastructure for our state and local stores will continue to see an increase in traffic.

A sound economy can overcome many obsticles and we do not want to see any weakening. It will be tough, finding monies for small towns such as ours, but we are up to the task and ready to do whatever it takes to survive.

Our children reap many benefits with Toyota money for better education especially in Math and Science. With better schooling, more will go to college and gain better employment than ever before.

I am sorry, I just can't seem to find much negative about the decision of Toyota to move to our area. From the documentation I have seen, the communities they have built in previously are all better with Toyota than without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,337 times
Default land investing in Blue Spring, Tupelo area

I bought some lands lately in Blue Spring & southern New Albany area.

Hopefully after 1-2 yrs when the plant is done, the land value
will go up tremendously and make a profit.

way to go , Toyota, come on in !

Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,898 times
Just have to say that I agree with you. My husband is currently at the job site as we speak, he was hired by Toyota and will be there till the completion of the plant. We are considering moving to that area, and currently live in a small town ourselves. Blue Springs will be booming when the new plant opens, and I wish the best for the folks there! Any thoughts on areas to live, churches & schools?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,127 times
Exclamation Applications

I am thinking about moving to the area and hope to get a job at the plant if anyone knows will you please let me know where i can go to get an application to fill out for the new Toyota plant in Blue Springs if any one knows please contact me and let me know!!!!!
Thanks alot
RSVP

Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
It will be awhile yet before the plant takes applications as its still just dirt at the moment. I am pretty sure that Toyota will work with state/county employment divisions. I would check with them. There probably lots of construction jobs coming up. Way to go Blue Springs. Take a good look around things are going to change

Squidlo

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
It will be awhile yet before the plant takes applications as its still just dirt at the moment. I am pretty sure that Toyota will work with state/county employment divisions. I would check with them. There probably lots of construction jobs coming up. Way to go Blue Springs. Take a good look around things are going to change

Squidlo
Oh Squidlo, please, don't remind me. Some days I am so busy that I stay here at home in my office and don't get around the site much, and a week has gone by when I next go by and WHAM, I can't believe all that has changed. Ya know, I grew up on that very spot that is now level. There are so many memories of running thru all the hills and valleys, but looking at it now, no one would imagine that it was a very hilly place. sigh.

Yet, I know that this plant is badly needed for our economy and welcome it. It will make it hard for our small town and many areas around here to adjust what with trying to find money to expand and keep up and/or build new infrastructure which in our case is huge....it gets to be a nightmare and headache all rolled up into one.

Yet, at the same time, I am in a very uniquie position to basically grow this wonderful area and as the other board members are all too aware, we have a great responsibility to our people here, few that they are, they deserve to have a town that will keep it's values and integrity.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,064 times
Thumbs up hmmm WONDERING

FROM EXPERIENCE...when are our Gov Officials going to get it right with JOBS????? Have you seen "1" American Company get paided for a NEW plant anywhere...? Why are they all foreigh companies? ie. Montgomery/ Hyundai etc....OH and to you doubters , the manufacturing jobs are where its at, service jobs just circulate the money, tell the PREZ canidates what are they doing to KEEP, PRODUCE, AND DEMAND NEW MANUFACTRING "JOBS"

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM

27 posts, read 66,119 times
Default toyota and you

I am lucky enough to work for a toyota plant in ky. And you can not realize the positive effect this will have on blue springs and surrounding areas as well as the rest of the state. Toyota sponcers so many charities and schools.The money they put back into the communities is unreal. As well as property values rising the other plants opening up to support and supply toyota with parts will have a positive effect all across your state. Which will end up suppleying thousands of people with a brighter future and a higher paying job with excellent benifits. They have summer programs for students to earn money for college. They give scholorships to students of employees. They do so much that I could not list everything. And they are a safe company. I saw on the news today that gm was going to get rid of more people. Does this mkake you wonder how toyota can build another plant to make vehicles? It's because they don't build a car that isn't already sold. And they never borrow money. THe new plant in blue springs is is funded by toyota. Have you ever heard of toyota laying off workers or closing shops? Toyota would take a better seller from another plant and let another company help in the production of it. Just count your state lucky to be the one that gets a toyota plant. A plant that treats its team member so well thta they don't need a union.
Any way congradulations to the 2000 people and their family members that will get hired by a company like toyota.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times
They have been a godsend for this area, but I really wish they were going to build something other than the Highlander. SUV sales are dropping as fast as gas prices are rising.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 66,119 times
Default They will

Toyota will build more than just the highlander. The assebly lines will be set up with robots that can build multiple carsa t one time. Right now at the ky plant we are building the camry,avalon.solara and solara convertable as well as the new cross over called the venza. Trust me toyotta is a good thing but they are always going to be people that can't be satisfied with anything. Like the guy complaining about 150,000 a job. If he only had a clue that can be made back by an employee in less than 2 years and then that employee will put it right back into the community through retail and taxes. The plant in ky started out small and now the employ over 7000 team members in a plant that is over 800,000,000 square feet plus the other companies that emplyee thousands of people to to supply toyota. you can count on more than 2000 jobs and they will be spread out over the state and if they aren't in your back yard drive a few miles to work. We have people that drive over 2 hours one way to work for toyota. And you better believe that I have been checking out your realestate prices and once toyota settles there your home prices will just about double. go to lbar.com select scott county and compare houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi