Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 AM

281 posts, read 870,069 times

Advertisements

And.... you have to have some experience in order to work there as a welder, so they told my husband. We have family that lives there and they all have to commute to Missoula to work, and one has to go to Hamilton for her job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Be very realistic about the job situation in Stevensville. You say you don't mind living on very little, and that is exactly what you will have to do if you come here without a profession. My husband and I did just that and it was a very stressful struggle at first. Looking at pretty mountains, does not take that stress away, I'm afraid.

In Stevi there are only very few places you could work. There's a gas station, a couple of cafe's, a drug store and super 1 foods grocer. I'm pretty sure those jobs are well taken, as it is a small town and the locals are vying for them already. More than likely you'll have to do what my husband did, and that is commute to Missoula and take one of the highest paying jobs offered there which is a call center at Direct tv. Thing is, it's not that high paying and, the job is stressful.

I think the people who the best already have money and a plan in place, or are coming up with a profession or trade that they can get jobs with. Those willing to work other types of jobs do struggle quite a bit when they come and try to put stakes in the ground and I have seen my share of people come, then pack up and go after a first winter because they either cannot tolerate winter, or the low paying jobs that go no where. As WYO said, you cannot eat scenery and that is true. You'll get hungry and when they winter bill comes in, you'll be wondering why you came up lol. I had a winter bill of $200 per month last year. Northwest energy is very high, and Northwest does handle Stevi. Good luck to you.
Spent two years in Stevi, did the Super 1 thing briefly (part-time, grueling bakery job for $7 an hour), then made the Missoula commute for two years, then finally gave up and came back home to the east coast. Took me several months AFTER we got back to finally pay off my remaining Northwest Energy bill for the winter that lasted from September to April. My bills also averaged $200 a month, and I had a small trailor! Beautiful place, but only for those who are NOT dependant on steady, employed income for their living expenses. Many people I worked with in Missula left when Dish/Direct TV came in. They were promised the moon. They loved it at first, after all, $9.00 is considered a good wage out there - but then the pressure to upsell started, and many got stressed out.

I think anyone considering relocating out there MUST go out there and take a look around. It's hard to describe to someone, it is not your typical American suburbia type place. Of course, that's part of the appeal of it. It's very "unspoiled" and scenic. However, due to that, the places to work in the valley are very few and far between, and the available jobs in Missoula, unless you are able to get on at the hospital or university, are as low paying as anywhere else; but the cost of housing and living is much higher.

If you can afford it, go for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

......I really wish people would DO THEIR HOMEWORK before making statements that are TOTALLY INACCURATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stevensville is the home of: SELWAY CORP.......and has been since 1976!!!!!!!!

It is one of the largest steel fabricators is this portion of the Rocky Mountain west and has anywhere from 40 to 100 "welders" on their payroll....depending on their workload and back-log of business on the books.
Yes, I knew someone who worked there briefly - for $8.00 an hour. Not nearly enough to buy that 1 bedroom, 1 bath shack in town in Stevensville near the High School for, oh, $150,000 or so.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM

14 posts, read 26,653 times
Dont let some people talk you out of what you want. Yes, it isnt easy to move.....anywhere. And yes a job is important. But consider Missoula for your work day at least and then drive half an hour home to Stev. No matter what people say, there are jobs. I came to Missoula 3 months ago with a job, so I was lucky. But my wife found a job in healthcare within the first month and is making just about what she did in Colorado before we moved. By the way....there is a welding job advertised on craigslist as we speak in Victor. Thats what? 15 minutes from Stevensville. As for the locals hating outsiders.....thats more crap. The people that are telling you that are the ones they are talking about. They dont want you here. The locals in general are some of the friendliest most welcoming people I have ever met. I work out in the public all day. Everyone I have met has been amazingly friendly and polite....even the little kids call my sir and say please and thank you. I have had literally hundreds of "Welcome to Montana"! So go for it my friend.....follow your dream. Just do it with your eyes wide open.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Just so you folks know, the OP hasn't even logged on since January. Who know's, maybe they'll be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula