Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,351 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

When i was younger I use to spend every summer at my grandpa's place in the foothills of the bitterroot just outside of stevi.. coming from the flatlands of Indiana it was like heaven lol. Well here in the last 6 months I've been thinking real hard about moving out there, which is pretty much what my grandpa did 40yrs ago... I want to go into with a plan because i know the failure rate of outsiders trying to survive out there is pretty high.. one problem is right now I'm a reservist for the air force, and I've checked and the closest reserve unit is mountain home Idaho, and I know that drive once a month from stevi is unrealistic, especially in the winter months.. I'd like to stay enlisted due to the fact that its an extra $300/month to help with income, i can switch to air national guard and then the closest unit is great falls, MT. Is that more do able in the winter months?

Also I would like to have atleast one job before I make the move... I'm a 2 yr machinist/welder and got my training through the air force. So I have a skill trade and I firgured that would help me find something. But in my searches online I have yet to find any fabrication type jobs. Was wonder if any of you locals can point me in the right direction to see if I'm missing anything

Thanks for all your help,

Emerson Jumper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Stevensville to Great Falls can still be sketchy during the winter. You will definitely want to come with a good job and should keep in mind that Montana has low wages. I don't know what the cost of living in Stevensville is but much of western Montana is expensive. Also be aware that people in western Montana are often not welcoming of outsiders.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Stevensville to Great Falls can still be sketchy during the winter. You will definitely want to come with a good job and should keep in mind that Montana has low wages. I don't know what the cost of living in Stevensville is but much of western Montana is expensive. Also be aware that people in western Montana are often not welcoming of outsiders.
Thanks for the info on the drive, I plan on getting a Subaru of some kind for the winter, i know even Awd won't help sometimes out west.
I know the valley has become quite the tourist trap and californian refuge over the years and the locals hate that, and it also had tp do with the economy in the area.. I was hoping my trade would give me a little bit of a leg up wage wise, no way a welder or a machinist is pulling in the same cash as a waiter lol... I have no goal of being rich, I'd rather enjoy life than worry if I'm making more money than the next guy

Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatland_dreamer View Post
Thanks for the info on the drive, I plan on getting a Subaru of some kind for the winter, i know even Awd won't help sometimes out west.
I know the valley has become quite the tourist trap and californian refuge over the years and the locals hate that, and it also had tp do with the economy in the area.. I was hoping my trade would give me a little bit of a leg up wage wise, no way a welder or a machinist is pulling in the same cash as a waiter lol... I have no goal of being rich, I'd rather enjoy life than worry if I'm making more money than the next guy
Most people want to enjoy life but if you can't make ends meet you won't be too happy. This is not to say you won't make any money and that you won't make a living in Montana, just do your homework before committing to anything.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Most people want to enjoy life but if you can't make ends meet you won't be too happy. This is not to say you won't make any money and that you won't make a living in Montana, just do your homework before committing to anything.
Maybe I worded that wrong lol. I Dont need the newest and nicest things, hell I can't be far from that and be perfectly happy.. I have lived my whole life (yes only 20yrs lol) in the lower class.. I'm not stranger to stretching my dollar. Just bored of the endless cornfields lol wouldn't mind looking out of my Window at gorgeous mountains

Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatland_dreamer View Post
Maybe I worded that wrong lol. I Dont need the newest and nicest things, hell I can't be far from that and be perfectly happy.. I have lived my whole life (yes only 20yrs lol) in the lower class.. I'm not stranger to stretching my dollar. Just bored of the endless cornfields lol wouldn't mind looking out of my Window at gorgeous mountains
Scenery is great but you can't eat it and it doesn't pay your bills. Proceed with caution.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
If you are going to move to Montana and live there year round, long term you would need to need prepared for drives like Stevensville to Great Falls in winter. If the road was too bad for you to feel good about driving it, there appears to be a bus route with this company. Rimrock Stages I couldn't get the pricing info to load though. Would you consider living closer to Great Falls initially? if you liked Stevensville, maybe you might like Chocteau, White Sulphur Springs or maybe even a place outside of Helena. They'd be closer to the base.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM

281 posts, read 869,938 times
Be very realistic about the job situation in Stevensville. You say you don't mind living on very little, and that is exactly what you will have to do if you come here without a profession. My husband and I did just that and it was a very stressful struggle at first. Looking at pretty mountains, does not take that stress away, I'm afraid.

In Stevi there are only very few places you could work. There's a gas station, a couple of cafe's, a drug store and super 1 foods grocer. I'm pretty sure those jobs are well taken, as it is a small town and the locals are vying for them already. More than likely you'll have to do what my husband did, and that is commute to Missoula and take one of the highest paying jobs offered there which is a call center at Direct tv. Thing is, it's not that high paying and, the job is stressful.

I think the people who the best already have money and a plan in place, or are coming up with a profession or trade that they can get jobs with. Those willing to work other types of jobs do struggle quite a bit when they come and try to put stakes in the ground and I have seen my share of people come, then pack up and go after a first winter because they either cannot tolerate winter, or the low paying jobs that go no where. As WYO said, you cannot eat scenery and that is true. You'll get hungry and when they winter bill comes in, you'll be wondering why you came up lol. I had a winter bill of $200 per month last year. Northwest energy is very high, and Northwest does handle Stevi. Good luck to you.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post

In Stevi there are only very few places you could work.

......I really wish people would DO THEIR HOMEWORK before making statements that are TOTALLY INACCURATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stevensville is the home of: SELWAY CORP.......and has been since 1976!!!!!!!!

It is one of the largest steel fabricators is this portion of the Rocky Mountain west and has anywhere from 40 to 100 "welders" on their payroll....depending on their workload and back-log of business on the books.

Go to their web site:........selwaycorp.com .....or Google: Heavy Steel fabrication Stevensville Montana

I have no idea if they are hiring...............but since you have some degree of qualification in the "field of welding"............I would suggest a complete and thorough resume, properly composed and submitted with a professional looking cover letter, would be in order...........you've got nothing to lose!!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:06 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,118 times
Plus there is a Solar Business there that might be a option or maybe not..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula