Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Well you asked about the smoke so here goes.... We've had fires the past few years and yes, the fire smoke gets so bad that you don't really want to go outside. Eyes burn, you smell like you've been standing next to a campfire and it can get hard on the lungs. They cancel all outdoor activities at the schools and "suggest" that anyone with breathing issues stay inside. There's been a couple of seasons where it's 95 outside and we're inside with all the windows closed and the sun is blocked out from fire smoke. Last season we had a couple of weeks where it was blue/gray hazy outside until late at night when the breeze would change and it'd clear up until mid morning but don't let anyone fool you, when the forest starts burning it'll smell like a campfire outside your windows.
Hopefully this summer we can get away without any fires but I'm sure that's wishful thinking.
Yes we live here but it can (and does) get that bad. Quite a few people just pick those times to leave on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 43,948 times
Default So then what are the alternatives? LOL

I think taht what I am hearing is that I wouldn't be able to handle the winters. I really really do NOT like gray skies for the majority of winter. I lived in NYC for 9 years and it was pretty dismal. I also am really sensitive to allergies etc. and I can't imagine that smoke in the summers and smog/pollution/soot during the winter would be bearable. So with that said!....what other areas are cool like Missoula, laid back and a little environmentally forward thinking at least? I hear Helena is nice, Bozeman I hear is expensive but nice. But then again, I have heard that Missoula is the most expensive place to live in MT. But that can't be right? Isn't Big Timer or Big Sky (?) really expensive?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 PM

495 posts, read 493,145 times
Did anyone mention - The reason we have trouble with air quality in Missoula and the surrounding area is because of the valley and the air inversions, meaing everything can just hoover in the air.
Central and eastern MT get more sun but also more cold - pick your poison

There is a phenomna in Missoula - people wearing shorts at the first sign of a nice day, what's with that, I think its a reaction to the long spells of gloomy weather that can persisit and then all of a sudden the sky opens up and out comes the sunny, it might only be 40 degrees but some people just gotta break out the shorts.

I must say though, the contrast in weather can be dramtic from those dreary winter days, wheather they be cloudy, cold, snowy, whatever to those just gourgous summer days (providing there is no forest fires and smoke) When we do get those nice hot summer days people just seem to flip out and it looks like the whole town is floating down the Blackfoot river, rich and poor alike, and life is good.
So it's not like we're miserable all the time...........

Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
That's funny. I break out in shorts just cause it drives the tourists nuts. I figure if it's 32 degrees, it's time for shorts. The newbeys are rampant. What the hell are you doing? Just enjoying the nice weather.

We get so used to cold, it become second nature. Outsiders are frozen, we are comfortable. So we kind of rub it in. Wear shorts, a t-shirt and walk around like it's no big thing.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Did anyone mention - The reason we have trouble with air quality in Missoula and the surrounding area is because of the valley and the air inversions, meaing everything can just hoover in the air.
Central and eastern MT get more sun but also more cold - pick your poison

There is a phenomna in Missoula - people wearing shorts at the first sign of a nice day, what's with that, I think its a reaction to the long spells of gloomy weather that can persisit and then all of a sudden the sky opens up and out comes the sunny, it might only be 40 degrees but some people just gotta break out the shorts.

I must say though, the contrast in weather can be dramtic from those dreary winter days, wheather they be cloudy, cold, snowy, whatever to those just gourgous summer days (providing there is no forest fires and smoke) When we do get those nice hot summer days people just seem to flip out and it looks like the whole town is floating down the Blackfoot river, rich and poor alike, and life is good.
So it's not like we're miserable all the time...........
Naw just 363 days of it...

Old 11-27-2007, 03:17 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,708,187 times
The plus side to the smoke is that it makes for some great sunsets.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,735 times
I lived in Clinton (about 10 miles down the road) and I didn't notice the smell. I also worked in Missoula for about a year... I guess it depends on what side of the city you live on.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 124,259 times
Missoula very rarly smells the mill. When it does one can only think about what a wonderful thing considering it's economic impact.

In reality, the smell is of paper pulp being made into the construction of boxes used all over the world.

If I could afford to live there I would.

Good luck

Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM

239 posts, read 687,892 times
We moved from Missoula to Vancouver, WA for two years and hated the weather compared to Missoula...we moved back. Ya, you can get cold gloomy winters in Missoula, but when spring hits it is great. In Vancouver(which is similar to Portland and Seattle)it is depressing to have six months of non-stop rain going all the way into June.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,212 times
The winter is really sad and depressing. I lived in FL and I didn't enjoy the oppressive humidity but I really loved the SUN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula