Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM

45 posts, read 128,959 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the well wishes...be sure to keep us posted on how things are going for you too! If/when we go out I will be sure to post pictures for you.

PS Tell me if you think this is weird. He hasn't got the offer yet, but a sales manager from BI just called him yesterday to 'talk about the job'. Isn't that odd? I mean he's between the interview and offer, yet someone is calling to discuss the position. I thought it was kinda strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Alexis, I sure hope this works out for you and your husband. It's so much to think about in making a big move like this.

And SJF, that link just about takes you right to your front doorstep! Now folks, isn't that just a fine-looking dwelling? You have to admit it is!

As for me, I'm to say the least, very excited about the librarian position (only one at the full professional level, but that could still be OK). But....what is a "Missouri Librarian" certificate, and how does this Californian get his hands on one of those? Well it's a good thing I'm two hours behind you, so I can get on the phone before work tomorrow or Monday to call the school district and maybe the State Library as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 06:06 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times
It sounds highly unusual that a sales manager would talk to your husband about the job instead of the main boss or someone in human resources--if BI has such a department. Sounds like the "chain of command" is not being followed here.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Heartfelt thanks!

StJoeFanatic writes:
If there is anything I can do to help you with this, just let me know. I would imagine that the Missouri Librarian certificate would be something you could get at some point. As long as you have librarian credentials of some kind... they would probably let you in, and say you have so much time to get the Missouri certificate.

I am also watching the MWSU site as well, just in case they have an opening!

I am very grateful to you for going the extra mile to do all this! Thankfully, I just earned my master's degree from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited university, so I'm very confident that I don't lack the qualifications necessary to obtain the MO Librarian certificate. It may be that the certificate is something one earns as a result of taking classes and/or workshops that aren't quite as intensive as those one takes to earn a master's in Library Science. I will call the school district tomorrow morning and probably pursue the librarian position unless the salary and benefits are far below what I would need to make the move back there worthwhile. Since the school district is the dominant school district in NW Missouri outside of Kansas City, I'm confident that won't be the case.

I'm much more familiar with a public library setting than with a school library setting, or academic library setting like MO Western State, but would far prefer a position right in town if possible. The idea of driving a long distance in snowy weather doesn't sound anywhere as attractive as staying in town and maybe riding the bus or even walking if the school is close enough! I had originally planned to wait until my trip in September to contact the St. Joseph Public Library. Though its website doesn't give information about employment openings, I'm going to call its personnel department much sooner and see what information I can get.

I am sorry about the frustration you've experienced in doing graphic design work there. The library I currently work at has a graphic designer who has worked for our system for many years, creating posters announcing upcoming events, as well as many other projects including library signage and forms. She has a big job! It makes me wonder if the St. Joseph Public Library has a similar position, or what it does for its graphic design needs. Same thing with Missouri Western State and its various departments. Hmmm. Would MWSU or Vatterott College ever need graphic design instructors? I say this thinking that if I got hired at MWSU, I might wind up having to do some teaching, which I'd prefer not to do. But would you be interested in teaching at all?

We've never met, yet you're already trying to open new, promising doors for me; and my wife is as eager to make St. Joe her new home as I am. I wish I could do likewise for you! Suffice it to say that I'm really thankful to you for helping "pilot" our way out of California and toward your area, and will let you know what develops on the employment front!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 AM

97 posts, read 347,347 times
Quote:
I will call the school district tomorrow morning and probably pursue the librarian position unless the salary and benefits are far below what I would need to make the move back there worthwhile.
Please keep in mind that it does not cost nearly as much to live here as it does in California, so what might seem like an unreasonable salary for you, might be very good for this part of the country!

Quote:
I had originally planned to wait until my trip in September to contact the St. Joseph Public Library. Though its website doesn't give information about employment openings, I'm going to call its personnel department much sooner and see what information I can get.
I am glad you are not waiting! School starts here in August, so I am sure they are wanting to get someone on board prior to the beginning of school! You might get here quicker than you think!

Quote:
I am sorry about the frustration you've experienced in doing graphic design work there. The library I currently work at has a graphic designer who has worked for our system for many years, creating posters announcing upcoming events, as well as many other projects including library signage and forms. She has a big job! It makes me wonder if the St. Joseph Public Library has a similar position, or what it does for its graphic design needs. Same thing with Missouri Western State and its various departments. Hmmm. Would MWSU or Vatterott College ever need graphic design instructors? I say this thinking that if I got hired at MWSU, I might wind up having to do some teaching, which I'd prefer not to do. But would you be interested in teaching at all?
Trust me when I say, that I have the very BEST paying job for Graphic Design in St. Joseph. MWSU pays less than I what I make! Vatterott even less than MWSU. Libraries don't do much marketing. But, I certainly appreciate your thought processes!

Quote:
We've never met, yet you're already trying to open new, promising doors for me; and my wife is as eager to make St. Joe her new home as I am. I wish I could do likewise for you! Suffice it to say that I'm really thankful to you for helping "pilot" our way out of California and toward your area, and will let you know what develops on the employment front!
Please do let me know! I guess I am just like most people around here... will do what I can to help if someone is in need.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Well as luck would have it, I called the school district and was told that the librarian position was recently filled. So I'll press ahead with the public libraries. Maybe the St. Joseph Public Library will keep my application on file for a period of time when I submit it.

You're totally right--Missouri generally just clobbers California when it comes to cost of living, so it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the same rate of pay for the same work back there. That's OK. Real estate here in Santa Rosa still averages about $575,000 for your average garden-variety tract home with a small backyard and no basement. I should be able to ask between $150K to $175K for my 5-year-old manufactured house when I put it up for sale. So many other things, such as DMV renewal stickers, sales tax rates, fees for admission into most county and state parks--like I said, California's becoming one of those "nice places to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" locations.

So.....been there, done that when it comes to graphic design positions! I was afraid of that, SJF; and I hope this doesn't wind up causing you to change plans and move out of the area once your place sells. We will both have to just keep on moving forward, huh? Anyway, just 2 months and 2 days before I fly back there! It's coming up quickly!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,748 times
Default My viewpoint on Saint Joseph

I moved to St. Joseph from Santa Rosa 3 years ago. I find there are things that I like but many things that I don't enjoy.

Yes, you can buy a place for a fraction of California prices. That's very nice. Things grow here...and the countryside is beautiful. I even like the snow and cold weather!

On the down side:

The area is depressed and looks it. There's a decent theater that puts on some quality shows and some bars and a couple of nice restaurants - one that bans smoking inside, which is nice. There seem to be a large number of 'drinkin' and smokin' and huntin' sorts and we've had a hard time finding friends with common interests. This is not to say there's anything wrong with the locals - they are actually very friendly - it's just that we don't hunt except with cameras and don't drink and we don't really fit in.

I really miss all of the outdoor things that can be done around northern Calif.
There are not really any healthy places to eat or to get good produce. I drive over and hour to Overland Park to get groceries. The local grocery store has some health food products but their organic produce is often bad.

I've lived in Clearwater, Fl, Dripping Spring, Tx, and Cloverdale and Santa Rosa, CA and I liked all of them better than here. Some were cities and some small towns but all of them had amenities that mattered to me. St. Joseph doesn't.

Sorry if this upsets any locals. I don't mean to be offensive.

More later if you're interested.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Well as luck would have it, I called the school district and was told that the librarian position was recently filled. So I'll press ahead with the public libraries. Maybe the St. Joseph Public Library will keep my application on file for a period of time when I submit it.
Eric-So sorry to hear about that job! They shouldn't leave it up on their website if it is filled! AARRGGHH!

I am on my way out now, but will respond more soon.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 PM

Roger that, SJF! The outdated website info was a real bummer.

For alexisnicolem, an update on the Felix Street streetscape project from the News Press: Felix streetscape still hopeful for this year (broken link)

(Hope this link works! If not, just go to St. Joseph News-Press and look for "Felix streetscape still hopeful for this year.")

Old 07-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You're totally right--Missouri generally just clobbers California when it comes to cost of living, so it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the same rate of pay for the same work back there. That's OK. Real estate here in Santa Rosa still averages about $575,000 for your average garden-variety tract home with a small backyard and no basement. I should be able to ask between $150K to $175K for my 5-year-old manufactured house when I put it up for sale. So many other things, such as DMV renewal stickers, sales tax rates, fees for admission into most county and state parks--like I said, California's becoming one of those "nice places to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" locations.
Eric... I did some digging & found some info for you. At MWSU, here is the salary for Library positions (the starting pay is always the lowest in the range):
Director of Library $62,371 - $96,738
Library Supervisor, Technical/Automation Services $44,289 - $66,433
Library Supervisor, Public Services $41,090 - $61,635
Electronic Resource Librarian $37,018 - $53,713
Cataloging Librarian $34,845 - $50,560
Information Services Librarian $34,845 - $50,560
Library Technician, Senior – Acquisitions/Serials $27,262 - $36,808
Circulation Coordinator $27,262 - $36,808
Library Assistant, Acquisitions/Serials $22,730 - $30,689
Library Assistant, Cataloging $22,730 - $30,689
Library Technician $20,914 - $27,164

Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StJosephTransplant View Post
I moved to St. Joseph from Santa Rosa 3 years ago. I find there are things that I like but many things that I don't enjoy.

Yes, you can buy a place for a fraction of California prices. That's very nice. Things grow here...and the countryside is beautiful. I even like the snow and cold weather!

On the down side:

The area is depressed and looks it. There's a decent theater that puts on some quality shows and some bars and a couple of nice restaurants - one that bans smoking inside, which is nice. There seem to be a large number of 'drinkin' and smokin' and huntin' sorts and we've had a hard time finding friends with common interests. This is not to say there's anything wrong with the locals - they are actually very friendly - it's just that we don't hunt except with cameras and don't drink and we don't really fit in.

I really miss all of the outdoor things that can be done around northern Calif.
There are not really any healthy places to eat or to get good produce. I drive over and hour to Overland Park to get groceries. The local grocery store has some health food products but their organic produce is often bad.

I've lived in Clearwater, Fl, Dripping Spring, Tx, and Cloverdale and Santa Rosa, CA and I liked all of them better than here. Some were cities and some small towns but all of them had amenities that mattered to me. St. Joseph doesn't.

Sorry if this upsets any locals. I don't mean to be offensive.

More later if you're interested.
I'm local and I'm not offended. What you're saying is true. I've witnessed it since I moved to the outskirts of SJ back in 2000. I notice a pretty significant amount of folks with little aspiration of success or well being. Basically run of the mill white trash mentality. The local newspaper does a fine job catering to it with non stop articles talking about how getting by is such a major struggle for so many folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri