Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:54 PM

12 posts, read 29,663 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm trying to make sure I'm safe even after moving out of my sister's place. I'm trying to work my way into getting a car so I can actually move elsewhere if I have to. It's just not cutting it here in this town. Less choices to get a job, plus there is a little more to do in Columbia then here. I was told to stay away from garth too. Any landlords that would rent a duplex to me ( I know they come in 2+ bedrooms). I want to feel like I'm at least in a home. I'm here in this tiny apartment and constantly smell, even when I wake up the cigar smoke. I can't evict him and my other neighbor's had the same problem. They moved as well. Trying to get a better job and a nice cheap car. Don't know my moving date, but I wan to avoid the bad areas in columbia. So stadium and nifong I've heard are good. Thanks for advice in advance. I'm just looking for good apartments/complexes in the meantime. I budget good so moving won't be hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM

25 posts, read 60,584 times
Default Confusing and Inaccurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
Columbia is not longer "sleepy" or "safe" as it it was prior to 2010, it has changed I do not recommend hanging around anywhere in Columbia at 2 or 3 AM in the morning. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about, or have their facts crossed. Prior to moving here please visit and get the facts from local police enforcement, there's a lot of good information in the forums here and the local news is free online.

Here is just one article from the local news.
Columbia Crime Numbers Show Drastic Increase | KOMU.com | Columbia, MO |

I have been researching Columbia for a possible relocation from Springfield, MO. I was surprised to see the link to KOMU.com referenced and was, of course, extremely interested in how bad the "DRASTIC" increase in crime was. However, when I followed the link I was taken to an article whose title was "Columbia Crime Numbers Show Small Increase"

So much for the "DRASTIC" increase referenced in the inaccurate labeling of the link. I really think that providing misleading information to people who are looking for guinuine answers and opinions is disrespectful of everyones time. The article could have stood on its own, without the embellishment. It does reference an increase in crime, just not a DRASTIC increase in crime.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM

662 posts, read 1,230,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria1016 View Post
I have been researching Columbia for a possible relocation from Springfield, MO. I was surprised to see the link to KOMU.com referenced and was, of course, extremely interested in how bad the "DRASTIC" increase in crime was. However, when I followed the link I was taken to an article whose title was "Columbia Crime Numbers Show Small Increase"

So much for the "DRASTIC" increase referenced in the inaccurate labeling of the link. I really think that providing misleading information to people who are looking for guinuine answers and opinions is disrespectful of everyones time. The article could have stood on its own, without the embellishment. It does reference an increase in crime, just not a DRASTIC increase in crime.
Columbia is a pretty safe place overall. I lived there from the early 2000s until recently and never felt like it was unsafe. There was a brief problem with a gang from New Orleans in the late 2000s who came up after Katrina but that was taken care of when Darwin Hindman got booted in favor of the new mayor and the new guy put a quick end to the "people group" problem. Pretty much the only place that anybody worried about was the Ninth Ward, and then only if you were a woman walking around by yourself at night. You stand a very small chance of being mugged in that case- that's about it. I am a guy and would routinely cross Blue Ridge to go south on Garth on a jog and never had any problems whatsoever even though that was in the middle of the "bad" part of town. You don't really have any "real" problems like STL or even KCMO does in Columbia. KOMU is a bunch of coddled J-school folks from super ritzy suburbs and very prone to exaggeration. I always watched ABC17 when I was in Columbia and avoided KOMU for that very reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri