Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM

12 posts, read 29,641 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for something betterthen my current apt. Vaulted ceiling, dishwasher that works. Vaulted ceiling, spray for bugs, um easy transport to the city bus. What are the bus running hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM

188 posts, read 938,751 times
Columbia is not longer "sleepy" or "safe" as it it was prior to 2010, it has changed I do not recommend hanging around anywhere in Columbia at 2 or 3 AM in the morning. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about, or have their facts crossed. Prior to moving here please visit and get the facts from local police enforcement, there's a lot of good information in the forums here and the local news is free online.

Here is just one article from the local news.
Columbia Crime Numbers Show Drastic Increase | KOMU.com | Columbia, MO |

Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM

Yeah, but what are the bus hours? I was asking everyone's thoughts, so i can be safe.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:02 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
Columbia is not longer "sleepy" or "safe" as it it was prior to 2010, it has changed I do not recommend hanging around anywhere in Columbia at 2 or 3 AM in the morning. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about, or have their facts crossed. Prior to moving here please visit and get the facts from local police enforcement, there's a lot of good information in the forums here and the local news is free online.

Here is just one article from the local news.
Columbia Crime Numbers Show Drastic Increase | KOMU.com | Columbia, MO |
So, have you bought your compound in Montana yet?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Buses run :
  • 6:25 a.m. through 6:25 p.m. Monday through Wednesday;
  • 6:25 a.m. through 9:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday;
  • 10:00 a.m. through 7:05 p.m. Saturday.
More information, including route maps, is available on Columbia Transit's web site: Transportation

Old 06-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
So, have you bought your compound in Montana yet?
No, it's in the mountains of Northern Virginia. LoL

Seriously, there's around 100,000+ people now in Columbia plus all of the gang activity that didn't really exist 5 years or so ago, if you haven't live there in the last 5 years or so you shouldn't be commenting on how safe it is there now, and if you loved it so much why don't you just move back?

I lived in Alexandria, VA over 20 years ago, there was high crime there due to being so close to Washington, DC and of course it's safer in Columbia. In that area within a 20 mile radiance there's like over 1 million people living there so how can you even compare the 2 areas together?

I'm just saying use your common sense if you do something stupid like riding your bike at 2AM in the morning, I use to work the graveyard shift in one of the hospitals and it's just like the Forest Grump quote "Stupid is as stupid does".

"That's all I have to say about that".

Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 PM

I haven't lived in columbia, my sister and other friends have. Nice hours for the bus, gotta look at the bus routes.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Alexandria is a "high-crime" area? Well that's certainly news (and by that I mean fake news) to me.

Regardless, OP you'll be fine. There are a few neighborhoods that aren't all that nice, but a friend of mine lived off Worley near Garth (the area that most people proclaim is the ghetto) and she had zero issues with crime. You're far more likely to live somewhere overrun by college students than gangbangers. And even the students can (mostly) be avoided if you choose carefully.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Alexandria is a "high-crime" area? Well that's certainly news (and by that I mean fake news) to me.
Um, have you been to Alexandria, VA, aragx6? I don't live there (used to, though - well, technically I was just south of there in the Huntington section of Fairfax Co., outside of the City of Alexandria proper, but I had an Alexandria mailing address, and everyone calls that area 'Alexandria'), but I can assure you that there are some *very* high-crime parts of Alexandria. (I'm in South Arlington now - just up the road. In fact, I'll be going to Alexandria later today to run some errands. ) Just for giggles, let's look at this crime map of Alexandria that covers the last two months:

Alexandria, VA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Alexandria - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Just for comparison, here is Columbia for the same time period:

Columbia, MO Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Columbia - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

The single crime in Columbia (a shooting) was in the 'worst' part of Columbia, and I'm sure it involved drugs and parties intimately known to one another.

As for Alexandria, crime there has actually decreased a lot in recent years. According to some denizens of Old Town, there was a time in the not-too-distant past (say, maybe twenty years ago) when it was suicidal to go west of Washington St./Rt. 400 after dark. I personally know someone who was (within the last three months) mugged/assaulted in the outer fringes of Old Town, returning to his car after dark following an evening of partying at an Old Town bar.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:42 PM

"The single crime in Columbia (a shooting) was in the 'worst' part of Columbia, and I'm sure it involved drugs and parties intimately known to one another."

There have been 20 shootings in columbia in the last 2 or 3 years, only 3 have been in the "rough" part of Columbia. (search for "timeline of shootings spotcrime") Strong armed robberies and Rapes of MU students have been on the rise, not including the "Hate" crimes that have been happening on and off campus for the last several years. You use to be able to sort crimes by date with x months but I guess spotcrime has changed it so you can only go back 2 Months and no searching.

There's crime in every city, just be safe and don't make yourself a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri