Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,281 times

Advertisements

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Reduntant, yes. But I find it refreshing that the topic can be discussed amongst those who apparently do not represent a 'cause' or bring an agenda to the table - and therefore can carry on a civil conversation.

Very refreshing.
Having started this thread I have very much enjoyed it. Being from South Carolina and having only passed through Missouri once in 1995 I have found the posts in this thread about how the state was affected by the Civil War to be very interesting. As for myself I have kept my posts to comparing present day cultural differences and similarities between Missouri and SC. But all the posts have been informative and has showed me how Missouri has a blended culture of midwestern and southern influences. Maybe more than anything else I was curious as to whether or not you could take someone from SC, particularly Upstate SC, and if you put them in Missouri would they feel at home. So I hope everyone who posted here has enjoyed this thread as I have in coming to understand what makes Missouri tick.My own background is not purely southern by any means so I understand blended cultures very well. My father is Italian and I was born and have family in New York City. My mother's family is Scots Irish from Upstate SC where I was raised and went to high school and college. But I still visit my family in NYC and I have worked in NYC, Philadelphia and Washington DC. So in addition to my southern more rural life I am very familiar with urban places too.

Picture of the area of NYC I worked in- http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/14953213.jpg)

My neighborhood, Rego Park Queens-scenes from the movie "Goodfellas" filmed in the area- http://www.minskoffgrant.com/images/...o_park_550.jpg

Where I live now - http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2330/2...fd9d70c6_z.jpg

So like Missouri my own life has had different influences.

Last edited by senecaman; 11-04-2013 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
My family always heads down to Kentucky Lake to do some fishing. Everyone always talks about fried catfish, but it doesn't hold a candle to fried crappie.

My alma mater is definitely a football school. Almost all of the businesses in town have something showing their support. The town basically shuts down on Friday nights in the fall for home football games. But not every town in Missouri is like that.
Making me want fried fish ,hushpuppies and coleslaw now!! Barbeque is good stuff but not much beats a fish fry especially if the fish are fresh caught from the lake.

High school football is big in all parts of SC but it's strongest in the Upstate. My hs is terrible though.

Last edited by senecaman; 11-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri