Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
If you read the article and and my post, you will see that they match real well. The last paragraph states that "young, healthy people subsidize older people, who are more likely to be sick." Which I also stated. It calls out that the subsidies are partially being paid by increased tax rate on people and businesses. The only real difference is that the article mentioned that part of the insurance subside will be offset by a reduction in the subsidies that goes to medicare. So one taxpayer financed subside with be replaced by a different taxpayer financed subside.

So thank you, your "unbiased article" support my post real well. The young and healthy are subsidizing the older or less healthy, and the rest of the subside is coming from taxpayers pockets.
Insurance's by their nature require many contributors not just those that need them,it needs the young those that arent at the moment in need, every one throws into the pool and if you need healthcare you draw from the pool.
To think the whole affair is payed for by tax payers why then is our op paying anything at all? a much better solution IMO is why not raise peoples taxes and give everyone tax payer funded health care like they do in the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 PM

582 posts, read 779,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To think the whole affair is payed for by tax payers why then is our op paying anything at all?
I never stated or implied that the the whole thing is payed for by taxpayers. I stated it is subsidized by taxpayers. There is a difference.

Quote:
a much better solution IMO is why not raise peoples taxes and give everyone tax payer funded health care like they do in the rest of the world.
The rest of the world pays much higher personnel income taxes than we do. That is how they fund their health care. I would be interested in how you would pay for tax payer funded health care without increasing taxes. Given that the such a system would cost at least twice what we current spend on medicare & medicaid.

FYI - before you reply, you might want to know that the medicare/medicaid budget exceeds the military budget by 169 billion dollars. So you will need to suggest something more that just cutting military spending.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
He gets about $450 a month in subsidies according to what he posted in another thread. Of course things decrease in price when somebody else is paying for 75% of it!
Yep, and I'm one of the ones paying for it! My insurance is going up. Checked online to see what our rates would be through ACA and they would be more than through my husband's employer. No subsidy for us.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yep, and I'm one of the ones paying for it! My insurance is going up. Checked online to see what our rates would be through ACA and they would be more than through my husband's employer. No subsidy for us.
Join the club. You have to love being one of the responsible ones who end up paying a large sum of money due to your "evilness" of trying to take care of yourself and sacrificing for many years in order to get a decent standard of living, only to get most of it seized by the feds to pay for the irresponsible and lazy just because they reliably vote Democrat. I love the fact that I pay the same in health insurance as somebody who smokes two packs a day for 40 years, hasn't seen the inside of a gym since they were 13, and washes down a pair of double bacon cheeseburgers with a fifth of cheap vodka every night while they watch 8 hours of crappy TV. I guess Obama classified his college transcript because he wanted to hide the fact that he must have grossly failed or cheated his way through every economics and basic human psychology class he ever took. He surely didn't pay a lick of attention in any of them if he even took them...

If you want to really hear about "generational theft," don't even get me started about the massive tax on the younger generation with the skyrocketing college tuition and federal monopoly Direct Loan racket. Or how we pay about 15% of our earnings in payroll taxes toward Medicare and Social Security which we won't ever see a red cent of. Yay for paying far more than 50 cents on the dollar for that crap...

Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Join the club. You have to love being one of the responsible ones who end up paying a large sum of money due to your "evilness" of trying to take care of yourself and sacrificing for many years in order to get a decent standard of living, only to get most of it seized by the feds to pay for the irresponsible and lazy just because they reliably vote Democrat. I love the fact that I pay the same in health insurance as somebody who smokes two packs a day for 40 years, hasn't seen the inside of a gym since they were 13, and washes down a pair of double bacon cheeseburgers with a fifth of cheap vodka every night while they watch 8 hours of crappy TV. I guess Obama classified his college transcript because he wanted to hide the fact that he must have grossly failed or cheated his way through every economics and basic human psychology class he ever took. He surely didn't pay a lick of attention in any of them if he even took them...

If you want to really hear about "generational theft," don't even get me started about the massive tax on the younger generation with the skyrocketing college tuition and federal monopoly Direct Loan racket. Or how we pay about 15% of our earnings in payroll taxes toward Medicare and Social Security which we won't ever see a red cent of. Yay for paying far more than 50 cents on the dollar for that crap...
Thats some way out there stereotyping and delusional thinking.Sounds like you are set for life though, never going to get sick,never going to lose your job.never have a pre existing condition,Must be tough paying all your hard earned income to the Feds, as you have so little money after taxes maybe you qualify for food stamps..

Last edited by jambo101; 12-21-2013 at 12:23 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
The rest of the world pays much higher personnel income taxes than we do. That is how they fund their health care. I would be interested in how you would pay for tax payer funded health care without increasing taxes. Given that the such a system would cost at least twice what we current spend on medicare & medicaid.

FYI - before you reply, you might want to know that the medicare/medicaid budget exceeds the military budget by 169 billion dollars. So you will need to suggest something more that just cutting military spending.
Obviously universal healthcare is paid for by taxes and run by the government,I'm not hearing about too many countries who have universal healthcare wanting the program repealed,wonder why that is,,
My suggestion? We are quite happy with our healthcare program up here in Canada, not many if any are calling for its repeal..Ultimately healthcare is something most of us are going to need in life,its expensive you can pay for it through an insurance company or you can pay for it through higher taxes in the form of payroll deductions. I prefer the government run program as you are covered from cradle to grave for everything, while insurance companies can come up with some loop holes when it comes to time for them to pay up.
Whats your suggestion to solve the American Healthcare problem? From what i've been seeing on tv and reading in the papers you got 30-40 million of your people who either cant afford or dont qualify for Healthcare insurance.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 AM

662 posts, read 1,228,388 times
Quote:
Thats some way out there stereotyping and delusional thinking.Sounds like you are set for life though, never going to get sick,never going to lose your job.never have a pre existing condition,Must be tough paying all your hard earned income to the Feds, as you have so little money after taxes maybe you qualify for food stamps..
If you actually read my post you would see that all of the things I listed are 100% modifiable risks. Nobody forces you to smoke, drink to excess, abuse drugs, eat very poorly, prevents you from going outside and walking around for exercise, etc. Those things are all up to the particular person but now are things that all of us have to pay for. I guess personal responsibility is dead in this country.

Also, by your last post you don't even live in America. Well, I suppose as somebody who doesn't live in this country you would be about as informed about the effects of American laws as the non-medical lawyers who wrote Obamacare knew what they were doing to the medical system...

Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I guess personal responsibility is dead in this country.

Also, by your last post you don't even live in America. Well, I suppose as somebody who doesn't live in this country you would be about as informed about the effects of American laws as the non-medical lawyers who wrote Obamacare knew what they were doing to the medical system...

So personal responsibility is dead in your country, now what?
As a Canadian i get to be privy to all the same media that you do, All the rightwing stuff that claims half of America is Lazy, doesnt work,sits around drinking and doing drugs,has bad diet and doesnt exercise, and basically gets everything for free, and of course theres the ubiquitous hate for Obama, yeah we hear it all so i'm as informed as any one who gets their info from Mainstream media.
I have no idea who put together your ACA program but most of it was based on a Republican system based in Massachusetts and implemented by Mitt Romney..

Old 12-21-2013, 05:03 PM

154 posts, read 346,446 times
Research has shown that people who go off on tirades and obsess about what the other poor saps are doing, til they are red in the face and their veins are popping in their foreheads, have a 45% greater chance of suffering high blood pressure, a stroke or chronic heart disease than those who eat bacon cheeseburgers. Why do we have to pay for these people's higher medical costs?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Obviously universal healthcare is paid for by taxes and run by the government,I'm not hearing about too many countries who have universal healthcare wanting the program repealed,wonder why that is,,
My suggestion? We are quite happy with our healthcare program up here in Canada, not many if any are calling for its repeal..Ultimately healthcare is something most of us are going to need in life,its expensive you can pay for it through an insurance company or you can pay for it through higher taxes in the form of payroll deductions. I prefer the government run program as you are covered from cradle to grave for everything, while insurance companies can come up with some loop holes when it comes to time for them to pay up.
Whats your suggestion to solve the American Healthcare problem? From what i've been seeing on tv and reading in the papers you got 30-40 million of your people who either cant afford or dont qualify for Healthcare insurance.
If healthcare is so great in Canada, why do so many Canadians come to the US for healthcare when it takes too long to get tests and procedures needed in Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri