Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 8,936 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are considering moving to joplin for me to finish nursing scholl, I'm 36 He's 43 I'm from Oregon,Oji was born in joplin left at 6yrs old, we were wondering what it's like now, cost of living, friendly to nonlocals, farmers markets, hiking, employment for him while I am in school, I guess just basic feedback on what it's like...........Liberal or consevative? Anything would be helpful Thank you.

Last edited by stinkpea; 03-19-2007 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: missplelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 PM

63 posts, read 273,384 times
I would imagine that the area is friendly to nonlocals, but it always depends on where you go. I don't really know about a farmers market and I don't think that there is any hiking spots around here either. As for employment it probably just depends on what your looking for. I think that we are pretty conservative, but nothing to bad.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
I have been here for 2 years. I have lived in NYC, Kansas City, AlbQ NM, Atlanta, and Columbia MO. Joplin is the most friendly place I have lived, as well as Low Cost.
There is a farmers market in North Joplin that some Ommish open up every summer and several stands with fresh produce. There are a few parks suitable for hiking. The glades near Wild Cat park has a pretty cool rock climbing area and there are several trails. The City of Joplin is currently building a multi-million dollar nature center / trail. It promises to be fun for the ourdoors person.
As far as jobs. I am a Doctor in Joplin. The medical community is widespread here. Joplin hosts some of the newest technoligy in medicine with higher regaurd than Springfield and Kansas City in many areas of development. The housing market here is more than affordable.... thats not the doctor in me speaking. i.e. I sold a home in Atlanta Ga and bought one here in Joplin for nearly half the price and of similar size.
This is a very conservitave area for the most part. Hope this helps!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,936 times
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.Yes, the information is helpful. Glad to hear about the Farmer's markets. How many frost free days is the growing season ( We are coming from an areathat is lucky to get 90 ) I was very excited to hear thar the technoligy in the medical field is up to date...At this point Ibelieve I want to head in the direction of the OR as a R.N. Have either of you been to OR? We can be conservative here...Is it a simular attitude? We run alittle more to the left but are respectful of everyone's right to believe what they choose. LOVE the housing prices, Here in Central Oregon things are relly out of hand... Once again Thank You both. Lorri aka Stinkpea P.S. we also rock climb....Smith Rock is about 7 miles from us now...Are the climbing possiblities simular ...would be nice for a change in that area.

Last edited by stinkpea; 03-20-2007 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: more info...

Old 03-20-2007, 05:33 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
Rock Climbing here is "Mother Natures Crack" Its 50 ft to about 75 ft. Pretty nice area around Shoal Cliff. There are several areas for floating. Three large lakes within about 1 to 1.5 hours away. I currently work in OR as a Trauma Surgeon. Prior to that I was a resident in Atlanta and an ER Doc in KCMO. The medical opinion here is not too right wing but not left either. Pretty much a do as you please area. Except abortion. VERY outspoken area aginst abortion. I also agree with this personally. I think you will enjoy the medical field here. The medical community here is large. Two of the major employers in the area are Freeman Health System (East and West) and St. JOhns Medical and Trauma Cnter. Heart and Cancer research is growing. I presume MSSU is your Nursing School to be. It is a good school, however NEO and Crowder offer a good program as well at lower cost. Minus the diploma of a "University". Good Luck

Old 03-23-2007, 11:52 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
As far as Farmer's Markets go, Carthage and Webb City near Joplin both have them, and possibly Diamond.Mennonite ladies frequently bring baked goods. A large local farm (Roffman's) operates a tent in Joplin and a permanent building in Carthage during the growing season. Frost-free days probably run from mid-April to mid-September, I would think. Many people have gardens. As far as climbing and outdoor activities, we usually go a little further south to Arkansas or the Mark Twain National Forest near Cassville(2 hour drive). Devil's Den and Petit Jean State Parks in Ark have some nice hiking trails. Float trips are very popular. I am an X-ray tech in Joplin and have heard positive things about our medical facilities from out-of-state patients. We are proud of our air ambulance service and heart and cancer treatment centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri