Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling that Missouri fights Meth harder that say Arkansas does. Of course this all depends on local law enforcement does'nt it........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Arkansas tries pretty hard, I think.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I don't think its as much of a problem as the media wants us to believe.
Dude, come to Stone County. It's EVERYWHERE.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I have a feeling that Missouri fights Meth harder that say Arkansas does. Of course this all depends on local law enforcement does'nt it........
Part of the reason meth is difficult for law enforcement is the clean-up issue. Because so many flammable and toxic chemicals are used in production, it can quickly deplete a small town's budget to clean up a meth lab. Not much incentive to go after the little guys, when there is lots of expense and no compensation. Until the state gets involved, or another funding source, the problem may be put aside. And we know how quickly red tape moves....

Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
I don't think meth is a big problem in MO *except* for those people who choose to use it or associate with those who do. In MO, your risk for crime basically depends on who you associate with and what neighborhoods you go into. Although anything could happen anywhere, the reality is outside of a few bad areas of the few bigger cities, crime isn't much of a problem in MO.
The "problem" with meth is not restricted to the petty thefts and home break-ins related to people seeking easy to sell merchandise for quick cash. Meth users suffer from numerous health issues. Since many can't hold a job, this means more Medicaid recipients (tax dollars) or free services. This depletes resources that could be used for more deserving families. They also tend to neglect their children, requiring Social Services to intervene. We have had several children severely injured from drinking chemicals used in production. And I have seen first-hand how they will steal from family members, even their own grown children. Identity theft is so easy-with a laptop computer a parent can use their children's information to have loan money deposited in an account, withdraw the money and close the account before the first payment is due. People who are tweaking can be paranoid, violent and dangerous. They may be standing behind you at Walmart, walking across a parking lot or renting the hotel room next door. ANY meth problem is a BIG problem!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Yes, I would say it is a big problem. I think no matter where you go, addiction is a big problem; meth is Missouri's vice of choice I guess.
My neighborhood does not seem to have a major problem with it. Our sheriff's office is very good with following up on any concerns. I also have neighbors who don't mind taking matters in their own hands if necessary. They don't want to deal with the risk of being robbed because some meth user needs quick cash. But, it is not unusual to go to a local store (some more than others) and see someone who is clearly burnt-out from meth use.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 PM

10 posts, read 27,768 times
Not that I as aware of, though I am not sure. The area I lived in did not have a meth problem that I knew of. That said, I did not associate with anyone who did drugs. Meth is a growing problem across the country as I understand it.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:12 PM

32 posts, read 61,321 times
Some might say meth is mainly a rural thing but I've seen it all over the place in St. Louis.

But we most recently found a lab on private property at a camp site. Of course it happens to be near Leasburg (I'd say there's more drugs per capita in this area than any other area I've ever been to). It wasn't noticed until all of the leaves had fallen of the trees and it could see it a little ways into the woods. The cops came out and took care of it.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:47 PM

86 posts, read 259,057 times
Ive traveled the country,its a problem everywhere.I call it the nation destroyer.mobile labs in motorhomes are popular.It has messed up many people i went to school with,causes many mental problems,mabe the folks in washington dc are on it.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How does one explain the recently over-full Howard County jail in Fayette? A month or so ago their local newspaper related that a significant ratio of the jailed population was from meth busts by the Sheriff's Dept.

No disrespect intended sixtwobaldguy; but, do not think crime only happens to those who go looking for it. While Missouri is not the largest Meth state there is a problem. Ask your local sheriff's dept. how much of their budget and resouces go towards fighting meth, meth related arrests, or in solving meth related crimes vs. the rest of their budget. You mught just be suprised.
Got to agree.I live next to Goverment Land Cookers go Camping over there,when the wind is right the step back in the woods do their cooking until they run out of material.They leave their poison Trash pack up and good to make their Sales.

They use to Grow Weed but its too easy to spot from the air so they quit but some try.I know a Guy that got caught with 10 pounds.Had another group told me if I went on their place I would be shot because they were growing.This was a few years ago.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri