Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

To those who remember the world of martial arts before the first UFC in 1993 what are some myths that you've seen discredited because of the UFC? Has the UFC changed the way certain styles are taught nowdays? I mean is there a difference in how karate and kung Fu schools approach teaching their arts because of the UFC's influence on what works and doesn't work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
What works: Boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, and brazilian jiu-jitsu.
What works in little snippets: Some judo throws/trips, some sambo stuff, and a little karate here and there.

Everything else does not work in a real fight. Sorry you kung-fu and tae kwon-do people.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
What works: Boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, and brazilian jiu-jitsu.
What works in little snippets: Some judo throws/trips, some sambo stuff, and a little karate here and there.

Everything else does not work in a real fight. Sorry you kung-fu and tae kwon-do people.
That's not entirely accurate- mma has rules with clothing etc, which undermines certain arts. The lack of gi severly limits judo for instance, likewise no shoes limits savate.

What mma proved was that arts that train live with fully resisting partners work, those that don't well don't.

As far as karate and kung fu go, hard styles of karate work well- Kyokushin, Seidokaikan and Enshin for instance. As far as Kung Fu goes only San Shou seems legit.

There was one mma guy (I forget who) that said "there are 7 martial arts that we respect- 3 for striking, 4 for grappling. The 3 for striking are boxing, muay thai and kickboxing. The 4 for grappling are BJJ, Judo, wrestling and Sambo."

My opinion on what works (not always applicable in mma because of the rules)

Striking styles:

Boxing
Muay thai
Kickboxing
San shou (I know muay thai guys hate it and there's only been Cung Le so far, but the man's got great standup)
Savate (mma's banned in france and the lack of shoes means you're not going to see many savate fighters, but it hurts like hell )
Full contact/knockdown karate styles
The striking part of combat sambo
Lethwei also looks legit

Throwing/Grappling

BJJ
Judo (the lack of gi limits its use, in a real fight however...)
Wrestling
Sambo
Also San shou seems to pull off spectacular throws.

Last edited by archineer; 07-07-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Rex Kwon-Do is good for striking. Break the wrist, walk away.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
What about those styles that emphasize redirecting your opponent's force like with some internal Kung Fu styles and Aikido? Has any mma fighters had success applying this skill in their fights?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What about those styles that emphasize redirecting your opponent's force like with some internal Kung Fu styles and Aikido? Has any mma fighters had success applying this skill in their fights?

that's a good question...here's what i think.

if you know Aikido, you immediately think, "redirecting your opponent's force"...

now, i've trained Boxing, BJJ, Judo, and Wrestling...so, I can only speak of those arts, and redirecting your opponent's force is an objective of all those I just mentioned.

So, yes...the ideology of "redirecting your opponent's force" is alive and well in MMA...

Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
hey guys been out of town for a while but im back

MA like aikido dont work as they require your opponent to "work with you". some of the wrist locks and things will work with self defense to a point but generally speaking the techniques are not truly effective with a real fight.

and any martial art that requires shoes to be effective IMO is weak. i mean shoes in a case like savate would constitute being a weapon if they are what make the strikes effective so i say if we are talking weapons thats a whole other forum/thread.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
hey guys been out of town for a while but im back

MA like aikido dont work as they require your opponent to "work with you". some of the wrist locks and things will work with self defense to a point but generally speaking the techniques are not truly effective with a real fight.

and any martial art that requires shoes to be effective IMO is weak. i mean shoes in a case like savate would constitute being a weapon if they are what make the strikes effective so i say if we are talking weapons thats a whole other forum/thread.
In a street fight you wear shoes yes? I've trained savate, let me tell you it is definately not weak. Many kicks do not require the shoe anyway, the chasse and pied bas for instance. Really it's only the toe kicks that require the shoe (fouette).

Last edited by archineer; 07-08-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 AM

I forgot- Russian Draka's hardcore as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:10 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
What works: Bullets and blades

But then we knew that before UFC was around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)