Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 07:04 AM

59 posts, read 100,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I know Greer's is home grown but I distaste them for the extra 10 % on top of cost and local taxes. That's like 20% taxes !
How are they supposed to make a profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 AM

562 posts, read 666,115 times
The whole "cost plus" mentality is tad misleading. If grocery stores operate on a razor thin profit margin of 2-3 percent, then tacking on another TEN percent seems excessive, right?

I actually compared some prices of the store brand goods (Best Choice and Always Save) between Greer's Cash Saver and Rouses, and Greer's was marginally cheaper (a penny or two) on the items when the 10% was added in. It gets to be a ripoff when you see name brand items at the shelf price (before the 10%) priced way higher than what Walmart sells them for!

That particular store was bound to close since Greers found better locations by snatching up the Dauphin St. store and putting one at the former SaveALot down the street. And Walmart opening across the street was the final straw.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:04 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernk View Post
How are they supposed to make a profit?
How are others making a profit ?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post
The whole "cost plus" mentality is tad misleading. If grocery stores operate on a razor thin profit margin of 2-3 percent, then tacking on another TEN percent seems excessive, right?

I actually compared some prices of the store brand goods (Best Choice and Always Save) between Greer's Cash Saver and Rouses, and Greer's was marginally cheaper (a penny or two) on the items when the 10% was added in. It gets to be a ripoff when you see name brand items at the shelf price (before the 10%) priced way higher than what Walmart sells them for!

That particular store was bound to close since Greers found better locations by snatching up the Dauphin St. store and putting one at the former SaveALot down the street. And Walmart opening across the street was the final straw.

I'm surprised the Moffet location is still running.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:16 PM

59 posts, read 100,256 times
Quote:
By marking up their costs, just like every other retail business.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,861,610 times
Quote:
Where else would you expect Greer's to be making a profit? If it's not the groceries themselves (as you implied it shouldn't be), then what is it?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:46 PM

562 posts, read 666,115 times
Moffett Road is a Food For Less....same idea though. They were the first ones to do the whole "Cost plus 10" gimmick.

If Winn Dixie ever got into trouble again, their Moffett Road store would probably be the first to close...

Old 06-27-2016, 04:58 PM

265 posts, read 428,796 times
Any word any new to market restaurants and retailers that are either coming to the mall or mcgowin park or any of the major shopping centers in town? High end or mid-high or mid-scale national or international chains?

Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Where else would you expect Greer's to be making a profit? If it's not the groceries themselves (as you implied it shouldn't be), then what is it?
I don't know that's why I was asking Fernk. He asked how are they going to make profit. Well how are the others doing it without the extra 10% ? There is no coincidence that Greer's has always had stores in majority low income areas. The late great Delchamps on the other hand was different. I never cared for Greer's and their 10% added cost has increased my disdain for the chain. Same goes for B&H and all the others.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:30 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,861,610 times
Quote:
I don't know that's why I was asking Fernk. He asked how are they going to make profit. Well how are the others doing it without the extra 10% ? There is no coincidence that Greer's has always had stores in majority low income areas. The late great Delchamps on the other hand was different. I never cared for Greer's and their 10% added cost has increased my disdain for the chain. Same goes for B&H and all the others.
Think about it, PC. The cost is their inventory cost. The 10% is their markup.

EDIT: they only make their profit off the 10%. I don't know why you think that is problem.

Last edited by Southsky; 06-27-2016 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area