Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 06:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times

Advertisements

April building permits
Mobile County: 78
Unincorporated: 34
Mobile: 18
Saraland: 12
Dauphin Island: 7
Semmes: 5
Creola: 1
Prichard: 1

Baldwin County: 260
Unincorporated: 43
Daphne: 54
Foley: 79
Gulf Shores: 49
Fairhope: 26
Spanish Fort: 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 03:21 PM

So, the local lawmakers and politician are gonna try and lobby for more federal money to pay for the bay-bridge project. I believe that the trucking industry will also help lobby for the project since they do not want to pay a toll which will hopefully give Mobile more leverage for a new bridge. Hopefully that infrastructure bill will be our saving grace.

Old 06-12-2021, 07:44 PM

So I have finally compiled my excel of the housing starts within Mobile County and Baldwin County. A couple of notes: So far for the 2030 census builds (August 2020-present) the average housing start per month is 82.4 while the 2020 census builds are an average of 57.9. Marking a 42% increase. Mobile has increased from a monthly average of 8.99 houses per month in 2020 census to 12.33 houses per month so far in 2030 census, marking an increase of 37%. Baldwin County averaged 117.6 houses per month for 2020 census and now averages 196.4 per month in 2030 census. Marking an increase of 67%

I would share my excel work but it appears I cannot do that

Old 06-16-2021, 06:16 PM

Sooner rather than later I'm fully expecting an announcement for a Publix/Rouses/Greer's/Winn Dixie to announce a new location on Mcdonald Rd south of the interchange. With a new massive logistics park down the interstate and the expansions of Snow Road-Mcfarland Road (the road will realign to Mcdonald Rd for interstate access therefor more traffic through the area. Also being an area going through population growth and the lack of any competition, its a prime location for a new store

Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Sooner rather than later I'm fully expecting an announcement for a Publix/Rouses/Greer's/Winn Dixie to announce a new location on Mcdonald Rd south of the interchange. With a new massive logistics park down the interstate and the expansions of Snow Road-Mcfarland Road (the road will realign to Mcdonald Rd for interstate access therefor more traffic through the area. Also being an area going through population growth and the lack of any competition, its a prime location for a new store
Maybe also a move by some of the volume homebuilders down there too

Old 06-16-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Maybe also a move by some of the volume homebuilders down there too
Very prime realestate right there, ripe for development. Plenty of land for subdivisions as well

Old 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM

Alright what are you guys' guesses on the next 10 years for Mobile and Baldwin County? Really anything about both counties, what are y'all's prediction?

Old 06-18-2021, 01:38 AM

261 posts, read 202,337 times
In depth, specifically positive about Mobile: I think downtown is gonna enter a period of rapid growth because all the bones for growth in the area are set for the most part. There’s a massive amount of land between dauphin and St. Louis that can be built up. And the more things happening just furthers growth. More people living there means more restaurants and bars, more bars, restaurants, and entertainment means more people wanna live there.

In regards to midtown, I feel like everything north of Texas street in oakleigh will be completely renovated with many empty lots being infilled.

Oakdale will begin to become revitalized as oakleigh’s attraction pushed south down broad street and its proximity to Brookley field and the massive amount of employers there. It’ll be helped out by the destruction of all that public housing nearby. I know those people say they don’t want “gentrification” from those sites, but almost anything is better than what’s there now.

Tillman’s corner and Theodore will continue to add to their populations thanks to endless amounts of developable land, and new jobs being abundant in that area of the county. Nevius road’s extension will open a lot of southern hillcrest and sollie road.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:01 AM

261 posts, read 202,337 times
In terms of negative about Mobile: I don’t foresee anything but population decline and blight for the area northwest of downtown along MLK, Toulminville, Crichton, maysville, south of government from the Loop all the way to I-65, DIP. I could easily imagine further decline in residential and some commercial areas between dauphin and government from Florida street to azalea. The apartments in that area are mostly awful. The hotels are cookie cutter and aren’t the best quality. The festival centre is a giant dead zone at the heart of the city. If bel air mall meets the same fate, then that entire Airport/I-65 area is in jeopardy. Springdale mall is no doubt improving but nothing in there is a game changer that draws people in. If a large amount of traffic is diverted away from moffett road thanks to the new 98 then I could easily see some of fast food and restaurants close up and move where they’ll get a higher traffic count

Old 06-18-2021, 08:28 AM

313 posts, read 249,154 times
I think the city will grow and people will be like where’d that come from lol. A big catalyst will be the change of a couple city council members. Depending on who gets in there, there will be a huge difference hopefully. I feel like Mobile has missed out on a lot of good stuff bc of the super majority vote and just the city council period.
I think there’s about 70,000 people that live just outside of the city limits within 3 miles. Mobile is only trying to get a portion of the70k . If Mobile gets any of the annexations it has planned, it’ll be the most populous in bama easily. Most of that pop. Increase will come from just outside the shillinger corridor which is an advantage over a sprawl.
The most disappointing part of town is where the malls are. I have to agree with Nate on everything he said there. I wish they would just tear it down. And have more of an outlet type thing going on.

In the next 5 years a lot will change. Dredging of the port will be done .The airport will have moved. A phase of The bridge should be nearing completion. There’s just so much but those are 3 big ones.

I’ve also heard some of the people in baldwin are moving back and to mobile county but there’s no way of showing any immediate proof of that unless you’re speaking with realtors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area