Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2021, 12:56 PM

313 posts, read 249,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
very interesting had no idea there was creole history in Mobile, I guess like everything else NOLA tends to covet the history, looks like I need to head back to the New Orleans vs Mobile CvC thread and point a couple more things out lol
Look at the names around you lots and lots of French influence still here from mobile to Louisiana . Bon secour, bay Minette, dauphin island, rivière du chien ( dog river), bayou la batre, bellefountaine, creola etc..... this is another Article about that area that’s interesting https://www.familysearch.org/service...x=ArtCtxPublic

Last edited by MardiGras251; 07-13-2021 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 12:58 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGras251 View Post
The church is st. Rose of Lima church here’s more info about that church

https://www.mobilebaynep.com/assets/...uis_Island.pdf

Oh, I know that church, went by it all the time going to school. I thought it was just regular church, didn't know it had historical significance. If I remember, there's a cemetery directly across from it, I wonder how many of those graves are of Creoles

Old 07-13-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Look at the names around you lots and lots of French influence still here from mobile to Louisiana . Bon secour, bay Minette, dauphin island, rivière du chien ( dog river), bayou la batre, bellefountaine, etc..... this is another Article about that area that’s interesting https://www.familysearch.org/service...x=ArtCtxPublic

Oh I know about the strong french history, always been in love with the french styles of Mobile. It's what made me take french in high school instead of Spanish. I just thought Creole was a localized thing only found in Louisiana

Old 07-13-2021, 02:08 PM

313 posts, read 249,154 times
Quote:
Oh, I know that church, went by it all the time going to school. I thought it was just regular church, didn't know it had historical significance. If I remember, there's a cemetery directly across from it, I wonder how many of those graves are of Creoles
Yup buried there and throughout the area. You know race mixing was really frowned upon back then so a lot of the history was kept on the DL. To me this area is just as significant as the plateau, magazine, and africatown area.

Last edited by MardiGras251; 07-13-2021 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 04:32 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
very interesting had no idea there was creole history in Mobile, I guess like everything else NOLA tends to covet the history, looks like I need to head back to the New Orleans vs Mobile CvC thread and point a couple more things out lol
You didn't know that?! What ?? Lol. The first volunteer fire company in the state and one of the oldest in the south was started by Alabama Creoles. The excelsior band was started by Creoles. They also were rooted in North Mobile County as well.

The Basilica downtown has a lot of early creole history as well as sure names.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yup buried there and throughout the area. You know race mixing was really frowned upon back then so a lot of the history was kept on the DL. To me this area is just as significant as the plateau, magazine, and africatown area.
I completely agree !!! It's a very unique ethnic group that is only found in one part of the U.S. O'm sure her grandmother know a little Creole French.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I completely agree !!! It's a very unique ethnic group that is only found in one part of the U.S. I'm sure her grandmother know a little Creole French.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:24 AM

490 posts, read 464,486 times
What I love about creole is that it is not locked to a certain race or specific culture. White, black, mixed race. There are all kinds of creole populations in the Americas. Spanish, French, Portuguese, English, and even Russian creoles up in Alaska. While the French creole culture has really faded here, it is alive in a lot of the Caribbean.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:01 PM

261 posts, read 202,337 times
Do y’all think that all the interest in developing Africatown as a tourist destination will actually come to fruition? Feels like the city and county keep doing stuff to try and draw in tourists and it’s middling at best. Like the gulfquest museum hasn’t been a big draw like they hoped. Do y’all believe all the city and county funded projects in Africatown to develop it as a tourist destination will flounder or pay off?

Old 07-18-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Do y’all think that all the interest in developing Africatown as a tourist destination will actually come to fruition? Feels like the city and county keep doing stuff to try and draw in tourists and it’s middling at best. Like the gulfquest museum hasn’t been a big draw like they hoped. Do y’all believe all the city and county funded projects in Africatown to develop it as a tourist destination will flounder or pay off?

I think it will be much more successful than Gulf Quest. Will we suddenly get 1 million more visitors a year, big no. I think it will benefit tourism more indirectly because it increases the list of attractions. People wanna explore for more than a day and Africatown will help that list by adding more.

I like the idea of a triple threat tour around downtown. I think a great tour would be one that starts Downtown, next goes to Africatown, and finally finishes at the USS Alabama (or the other way around). My idea for the tour Downtown, is something like the mini-Mardi Gras that the city was talking about doing either just before or the very beginning of the Pandemic. I feel this would be very fun thing to do and you experience like 150 years of history that isn't repetitive knowledge. You could get Gulf Quest involved by having it be the meeting point for the tours, so people are kinda forced to explore the building while waiting for tours to start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area