Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM

48 posts, read 88,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Why shouldn't your entire discussion be tossed in that bin?
Because people who are my age looking for opinions about possibly moving to a new city (Mobile, Alabama) need to know a little more info than just rainbows and lollipops that you old timers make the city sound like.

The place is far from it. It's a terrible place and I have the right to make that opinion here on this message board.. just like you have the right to make an opinion about how amazing and beautiful this dump of a town is.

In fact, one of the reasons I relocated to Mobile was by reading message boards just like this years ago. And I have now come to the conclusion that people who post on these types of message boards are a lot older than me and enjoy things that I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM

I just realized that this thread was started back in 2007

Yikes!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM

557 posts, read 811,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanedogg View Post
Because people who are my age looking for opinions about possibly moving to a new city (Mobile, Alabama) need to know a little more info than just rainbows and lollipops that you old timers make the city sound like.

The place is far from it. It's a terrible place and I have the right to make that opinion here on this message board.. just like you have the right to make an opinion about how amazing and beautiful this dump of a town is.

In fact, one of the reasons I relocated to Mobile was by reading message boards just like this years ago. And I have now come to the conclusion that people who post on these types of message boards are a lot older than me and enjoy things that I don't.
Surprised that Keeper didn't pop in on this thread, and start deleting posts.

For the original post made 6 years ago, South Alabama is a great school, and has afforded me many opportunities. The campus has grown immensely, and student life even just 6 years ago was a fraction of what it is now. Dorms are at full capacity, and they keep building new ones. There are two different new dorm/campus housing projects going on right now, and they have built two other new ones within the last year. New rec center is amazing and heavily used, and there are many other new buildings on campus now, including Shelby Hall, a new science and engineering building that now serves as one of the focal points for South at the corner of University and Old Shell. Not to mention that South is a National Tier II Research Institution. Anybody else reading this thread, you'll enjoy your time at South.

Hanedogg makes several valid observations though. After graduating from college, and getting my "party years" out of my system, my wife and I are ready to move on. Mobile has a lot of warts. And he is spot on about city leadership - that is the main issue. Airbus is a big deal, and will be a boon to the local economy, no doubt. But Brookley Field has been sitting there, waiting to be used for decades now. About time something got in there of substance.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
I'd just like to point out to all that are reading this thread (first of all, I apologize for having to read the drivel on this second page), that most of "hanedogg"'s claims are false. For instance, he says crime is up, but it is actually down. He says there are no building projects (and that he knows ALL of them in the Northern Gulf Coast - which is ridiculous), but I know of two on my block alone. Let alone all the activity at Brookley. On that wiki crime link hanedogg posted, Mobile is in the middle of all cities over 250k for crime. What's so ludicrous about that?

Yes, Mobile has its share of warts, but its nowhere near the type of stuff hanedogg is spewing.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
I'd just like to point out to all that are reading this thread (first of all, I apologize for having to read the drivel on this second page), that most of "hanedogg"'s claims are false. For instance, he says crime is up, but it is actually down. He says there are no building projects (and that he knows ALL of them in the Northern Gulf Coast - which is ridiculous), but I know of two on my block alone. Let alone all the activity at Brookley. On that wiki crime link hanedogg posted, Mobile is in the middle of all cities over 250k for crime. What's so ludicrous about that?

Yes, Mobile has its share of warts, but its nowhere near the type of stuff hanedogg is spewing.
He exaggerated some points, but points nonetheless.

All the activity at Brookely? Erkerh. That has been far from a booming area.

Of course the city has some building projects going on. I would hope a city of Mobile's size would. But he made a valid point about buildings remaining vacant for quite a while. Especially downtown.

Crime is indeed down . . . from 2009 to 2011. But is still waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy above the national average, and has been for at least the last 14 years.

//www.city-data.com/city/Mobile-Alabama.html Some big cities have better crime rates than Mobile.

Wages are low, as are professional jobs. Housing is incredibly affordable in Mobile though, as I'm finding out during my move from the area.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 PM

421 posts, read 749,715 times
Quote:

Lol, you moved somewhere because of a message board without checking it out first? This sounds like a error on your part and not Mobile or the board.

Last edited by Freeminds; 03-31-2013 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 PM

If you call 5 building projects going on busy.. then have at it.

And yes, with my line of work, I have access to every single building project going on in the Gulf Coast Region and Mobile is dead compared to other places.

Quote:
On that wiki crime link hanedogg posted, Mobile is in the middle of all cities over 250k for crime. What's so ludicrous about that?
Because you forgot to mention that Mobile is the smallest city on that crime index with BIG CITY Crime Numbers. In addition, most of those cities are several counties included in the Metro Area. The Mobile crime stats are for the City of Mobile. It's pretty brutal to say the least.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Lol, you moved somewhere because of a message board without checking it out first? This sounds like a error on your part and nt Mobile or the board.
Not because of a message board but hearing positive feedback from people who live in a city is a plus. I was moving here no matter what because it was the perfect location for my business. Luckily I am moving my business out of mobile and taking it to Florida with me. Unfortunately, we had to let 14 employees go

By the way... the stuff going on at USA is very impressive. The campus is shaping up to be an amazing institution.

They need to get a football stadium on campus ASAP because Ladd Pebble Stadium is a dump. No decent football player is going to want to play there for 3-4 years when every other stadium in the state is 100 times better. They need to do exactly what the University of Central Florida did. They built a decent 40k seat stadium and now students actually attend games because they can tailgate on campus, frat houses, etc and it creates a real College Campus game day experience.

I went to 1 USA game and the stadium is awful. I have not been to another one.

Last edited by hanedogg; 03-31-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,860,117 times
Quote:
If you call 5 building projects going on busy.. then have at it.

And yes, with my line of work, I have access to every single building project going on in the Gulf Coast Region and Mobile is dead compared to other places.
So do I, and that's why I know you're exaggerating.

Quote:
Because you forgot to mention that Mobile is the smallest city on that crime index with BIG CITY Crime Numbers. In addition, most of those cities are several counties included in the Metro Area. The Mobile crime stats are for the City of Mobile. It's pretty brutal to say the least.
That statistic is crimes per 100,000 people. It doesn't matter the size of the city as it's a static ratio. This is simple statistical reasoning.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post

That statistic is crimes per 100,000 people. It doesn't matter the size of the city as it's a static ratio. This is simple statistical reasoning.
That shows that Mobile's crime rate is very high . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area