Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
The "no dog food" part of the rule baffles me. I mean, is it really likely that you'll bother picking up one you didn't hit and don't know how long it's been laying there, for any reason other than dog food? And that one you just hit and smashed all to hell, it might be good for dog food but bruised up beyond where it's good eatin' for humans. Now what??
No silly- if you allow it to be used for dog food then imagine the ramifications! Packs of blood lusting crazed dogs hot-wiring pick-up trucks, cruising country roads whacking deer left and right in some sort of road rage/feeding frenzy.

It would be pandaemonium.

Last edited by Threerun; 11-26-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Here's a hint about winter travel in Montana: a freight train is not optimal personal transport.

Last night about midnight the dogs went off, so I go outside to yell at 'em... and here's this quavering voice from the driveway, "Can I use your phone? I fell off the train!"

The voice belongs to a young black man who's durn near a popsicle -- had on a jacket, a hoodie, and a Carharts coat, but none of 'em were zipped. So I'm like, at least zip your coat, but his hands are so cold they're stiff, so I did it. Fed him two cups of hot cocoa and called his girlfriend for him, and the sheriff to come pick him up.... after a bit of talkin' to him the problem became clear; he's paranoid schizophrenic, went off his meds, and had an 'episode' where he thought someone was trying to kill him, so he 'escaped' by climbing onto a coal train as it passed through Bozeman, under the delusion that it would take him home to Texas. Second thoughts caught up to him about Clarkston (when he's lucid he kinda knows his paranoia isn't real), so he jumped off (or more like fell off, by the scrapes) that train and tried (unsuccessfully) to catch another train going back the other way. I'd left the porch light on (which I don't normally do) and he must have seen that, so here he was.

Sheer dumb luck where he landed... five miles either direction along the rails and they'da never found him, unless some hunter tripped over his corpsicle.

Seemed like basically a nice young fella... here's hopin' he gets his head back together.

And by weird coincidence, I think I know the girlfriend from where she works.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
My cabin is all electric, but right now, I feel like I have a coal or wood stove that needs fed all the time.

My furnace is acting up and runs, wide open. The thermostat, or furnace is not cycling. So I turn it on and it heats, and heats, and heats, and when it gets to about 80, I go to bed. When I wake up, it's cold in here so I start the furnace again. It's a digital thermostat and it makes no difference what I set it on, it's going to just run. Yesterday, I wanted to see if it would shut off. Nope. I set it to 56 and turned it on. When it hit 86, I shut it off, giving up all hope that it would shut off on it's own.

One good thing is that this cabin is well insulated. Temp outside has been in the teens. At 6 this evening, I turned it on and let it run til it hit 75 and shut it off. At 1am, I got up and checked, it was 63 degrees. So I'm up and letting the furnace run for a bit, then I'll shut it off and get some more sleep.

This is a new furnace that was installed in November of last year. The old furnace would quit heating and just blow cold air until you realized it and shut it off and turned it back on again. Then it might work again for a full day or even two and then start doing it again. I run for 3 weeks, last year, before the landlord finally had somebody come out and work on it. They determined that the 4 year old furnace needed replaced. So now the new one is acting up. Thankfully, I had my little heater (propane) that I was able to use to keep me thawed out, but that requried a window being open, which kind of defeats the purpose of running a heater.
Elkhunter, it sounds like a bad sequencer in the furnace itself. Best be having a real-life HVAC guy to fix it. I am sure I don't have to tell you that heating is likely the most common cause of house fires.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Elkhunter, it sounds like a bad sequencer in the furnace itself.
What is the sequencer? How does it go bad? Use small words.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
What is the sequencer? How does it go bad? Use small words.
Sequencer, Rez, get with it. It's that thing on the top of a windex bottle. Dad used to call it a spritzer.

Countryboy73, you, and probably everybody else on this thread, have operated one of these furnaces. It is exactly the furnace you find in a motel. About 4 foot long, foot and a half tall, tan in color, and is a a/c and heater (usually mounted in the wall, right under the window with drapes that don't close completely). My last one was terrific. I could set it at 68 and it held between 66-69. Not so much with this one. Same with a/c or heat. My cabin is only 438 sq ft, so it's smaller than most motel rooms. hahahaha But it's perfect for something this size. It's got a feature on it that if I decide I'm going to take off for a week, I just shut it off. Even in the winter. It has a feature that keeps things from freezing up. Even if it is shut off, it will kick on at 40 and keep things from freezing. If I come back to the place and it's -10 outside and 40 inside, I hit the on button and the place is warmed up in about 15 minutes. It's two stage. First stage is a heating coil and second stage is a heat pump. Coil is used to quickly heat things up, then the heat pump maintains. Like I said, it has been terrific in the past.

Yup, as soon as I told the landlord, he called up the HVAC peoples and they're going to be out here on Monday. From now until then, it's manual operation, and that's fine.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Sequencer, Rez, get with it. It's that thing on the top of a windex bottle. Dad used to call it a spritzer.
Hmmph. And here I thought it was what you make a MIDI with.

Quote:
Countryboy73, you, and probably everybody else on this thread, have operated one of these furnaces. It is exactly the furnace you find in a motel.
Geez, you had one of those that actually WORKED? I've never seen one that did. Too warm, too cold, but never just right!

Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Hmmph. And here I thought it was what you make a MIDI with.

Geez, you had one of those that actually WORKED? I've never seen one that did. Too warm, too cold, but never just right!
I know, huh. haha Every time I ever stayed in a motel room I would cuss those things up one side and down the other. Too hot, too cold, and then I moved in here and when I saw that I thought, Oh no. But it really has been great. I guess when you only have one person playing with the controls, it responds better. Kind of like a wife.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM

From a friend who recently went to work for a company that does support stuff for the oilfields:
Quote:
I'm currently working on a drawing. It has oil wells under (company?) names like "Velvet", "Canol", "CPC", "CNRL", "Mosiac", etc.

In the middle are a set of wells called "Hell's Half Acre".

Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 PM

Which inspired me to type "hellshalfacre.com" into my browser, and where did it land?

| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) !!!!!!!

Their "This day in history" page is interesting! Here's for November 29th.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Which inspired me to type "hellshalfacre.com" into my browser, and where did it land?

| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) !!!!!!!

Their "This day in history" page is interesting! Here's for November 29th.
Hey, you got to watch out for those "Methodists" from time to time. I was one of those for a while. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana